Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barbossa

Would you be ok with the Boltons surviving the series?

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Scorpion92 said:

I think Davos is definitely going to be Jon's adviser once Stannis dies, which show kinda spoiled for us. And for his support and counsel Jon, as Lord of Winterfell, will give White Harbor, the biggest city and strongest port of the North, to the Onion Knight. Given Davos' surname is Seaworth and how he has experience with ships, he is a natural selection to rebuild and command the northern fleet. His seat in Rainwood is captured by Golden Company and it is unknown what happened to his wife and two remaining sons, so story wise he needs to attach himself to some political power. As it happens he is about to have a mini journey with the youngest of Starks, Rickon.

There would be something poetic about him having White Harbor, but what about the Manderlys? I'm not sure that moving them from their historical seat, even if they were given the Bolton lands, would be seen as anything but a slight against them.

 

17 minutes ago, RainGhost said:

It's possible I suppose but I think it would be more likely to go to a northman. I think the most likely candidate would be a Manderly because they will surely be the main driving force behind House Stark's restoration and would therefore deserve a pretty hefty reward (not to mention that there's a good chance they'll be in charge during Rickon's minority). At the very least I see most of the Bolton lands going to the Manderlys, even if not the castle itself. Maybe the castle could go to a loyal (and surviving) Winterfell man like Hal Mollen or Harwin.

I could certainly see that happening, too. I think its still safe to expect that those lands will not be in Bolton hands in the end. At least, I hope not :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mathias said:

There would be something poetic about him having White Harbor, but what about the Manderlys? I'm not sure that moving them from their historical seat, even if they were given the Bolton lands, would be seen as anything but a slight against them.

I suspect House Manderly will not survive the next book. Stannis will defeat House Bolton and install Rickon as new Lord of Winterfell with Lord Manderly as his Regent. Basically, Lord Manderly will be ruling the North in Rickon's name supported by majority of northern nobility. I even bet that he will betroth one of his granddaughters to Rickon to have influence over the boy even in the future.

Which will pit Manderlys directly against Jon. And I have stated this many times, Jon will be very ruthless and harsh after his resurrection, especially those who defy his rule. Lord Manderly has big ambitions and will get burned for that. I do not know what happens to his only surviving child and two granddaughters, but the odds are not good for them either for the upcoming book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Scorpion92 said:

I suspect House Manderly will not survive the next book. Stannis will defeat House Bolton and install Rickon as new Lord of Winterfell with Lord Manderly as his Regent. Basically, Lord Manderly will be ruling the North in Rickon's name supported by majority of northern nobility. I even bet that he will betroth one of his granddaughters to Rickon to have influence over the boy even in the future.

Which will pit Manderlys directly against Jon. And I have stated this many times, Jon will be very ruthless and harsh after his resurrection, especially those who defy his rule. Lord Manderly has big ambitions and will get burned for that. I do not know what happens to his only surviving child and two granddaughters, but the odds are not good for them either for the upcoming book.

Interesting ideas here. If the Manderlys do end up out of the picture, that would certainly leave room for Davos at White Harbor. I personally would be pretty saddened if the Manderlys met such a demise; they proven to be very loyal and stout supporters of the Starks when so many others have floundered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mathias said:

Interesting ideas here. If the Manderlys do end up out of the picture, that would certainly leave room for Davos at White Harbor. I personally would be pretty saddened if the Manderlys met such a demise; they proven to be very loyal and stout supporters of the Starks when so many others have floundered.

Yes, they are loyal to Starks, that is without doubt, but they are also very ambitious. When Robb declared independence for the North, Wyman immediately offered to mint the coin and build a fleet for him. That means Lord Wyman would have Master of Coin AS WELL AS Master of Ships titles on Robb's small council. That is a lot of political power in the hands of one man.

Installing a little Stark boy back at Winterfell, becoming his Lord Protector or Regent and betrothing Rickon to his granddaughter are another smart political moves to acquire even more political power over the North. This will basically put House Manderly as the ruling northern house in all but paper.

And as you know, when you play the game of thrones you either win or you die - there is no middle ground. Jon needs the control of the North, which will put him in opposition with Lord Manderly and entire northern nobility (maybe there will be some northern houses who will side with Jon, but I do not see many of those) who view Jon as an oathbreaking bastard brother of Lord of Winterfell who allied himself with hated wildlings and plans to usurp his brother's seat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think at the least Ramsay is definately going to get axed, can't have a pychopath like that surviving into the next era whatever that may look like.  His father now... I can see Roose bending the knee and being forgiven by whoever ends up in the Iron Throne, whether the North likes it or not.  Hard to guess really, still so much story to play out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×