Who will get the Dreadfort?

chrisdaw

3 minutes ago, thelittledragonthatcould said:

He hasnt given the Karhold to the Thenns. First of all he does not have the power to strip Karhold from the Karstarks and secondly Harrion is still alive and Lord of Karhold.  All he has done is marry Alys to a Thenn. Even should Harrion die Alys would rule as Lady Karstark, her children would likely to take her name.

As for Jon giving the Dreadfort to the Wildlings, I would not put it past him though it would be an incredibly stupid decision which would only alienate the Dreadfort people and the other Lords of the North.

I don't think Jon cares about upsetting the houses that betrayed his brother. He will see those houses that stand with the Boltons as such. He will again show that those who remain loyal to him will be rewarded and the others will be punished. 

Ramsay's days are numbered, just as Cersei and Walder Frey's are numbered.   With the loss of the really good antagonists we actually require worse antagonists as the story propels itself to endgame.   I've been giving this some thought and I like Roose for some greater evil, maybe from the Dreadfort and maybe from the Nightfort.   I'm of a mind that Euron will take on a huge menacing presence in Winds.   Little Finger is still playing with Sansa.    Alistaire Throne and Bowen Marsh will be gone pretty quickly so Jon will need a nemesis who has a larger presence than Ramsay--really, Ramsay has no story without his Reek, does he?    I am hoping Roose will be that nemesis.   I believe Old Nan mentions 3 or 4 families in connection to the Nights King, Bolton, Flynt--maybe a Norrey or Wull, I'm not sure, but Bolton is definitely named on the list.  If Roose is tied to the Nights King it would be a great foil for Jon and whomever sits at Winterfell.   And it's interesting as hell that the Dreadfort has a twin along the wall in the Nightfort. 

So I'm giving the Dreadfort to Roose for the foreseeable future.   If by some misfortune all the Boltons are wiped out, I'm fairly sure that Arya would have a claim on the property.   Though which Arya, I couldn't really say.     

15 hours ago, IsleOfFaces said:

I don't think Jon cares about upsetting the houses that betrayed his brother. He will see those houses that stand with the Boltons as such. He will again show that those who remain loyal to him will be rewarded and the others will be punished. 

If he gives the Dreadfort to wildlings, he's not just stealing from the Boltons.  He is hurting every house that has intermarried with the Boltons for hundreds of years.  There are bound to be powerful houses of the North who intermarried with the Boltons generations ago, who have done nothing to deserve being removed from the line of succession for the Dreadfort and other Bolton holdings.  It would be a slap in the face to not just the Boltons and their current allies, but their cousins, second cousins, etc., which probably includes most of the noble houses of the North.

There's a very good reason why ancient houses are not often extinguished and given to newcomers.  The whole feudal system+succession laws means that, even if one Bolton is a traitor, you just have to eliminate him and everybody loyal to him, and eventually you will work your way to an acceptable person who has the legal right to rule their lands.

18 hours ago, IsleOfFaces said:

I believe Jon will give the Dreadfort to Tormund Giantsbane. This builds upon Jon's relationship with the wildlings. I don't think it's farfetched as he has already given Karhold to the Thenns.

I agree with the policy of integration, but, Tormund Giantsbane, husband to bears, should marry a Mormont.

I've always been puzzled by this question...

My assumptions:

1. Roose is a forward thinking intelligent man who makes provision for the continuity of his line.

2. Roose is aware of Ramsay's shortcomings.  I would be surprised if he thinks that Ramsay has the intelligence/ability to lead the North (especially given his reputation).

3. He is able to have another child with his Frey wife (indeed she may be pregnant).

4. He knows Ramsay will kill any male child.

5. He is aware he is too old to raise another male heir.

So...my question is, what does Roose have in mind for the future?  Is his claim that he is too old to raise another male heir a lie? Is he planning to kill Ramsay as soon as he has a male heir?

Jon doesn't have the power to give the Dreadfort to anyone, and I don't know that he ever will.

As for who should/will get it, I think Roose and ramsay will be gone by story's end.  Fat Walda is a Frey, which likely would make any child she has unacceptable to the North.  If Jeyne Poole has a son, I think he will inherit it.  Otherwise, whoever is in charge of the North will probably assign it to someone he trusts who he knows can hold it.  This likely means it won't be a wildling, since I can't imagine one would be trusted enough for a site such as the Dreadfort, a strong point easy to defend and difficult to attack.

On 4/4/2016 at 5:42 PM, Poppa Bolton said:

Don't worry about it.  Roose is gonna win.

Let me rephrase the original question:  Who will take over the Dreadfort when Ramsey is dead and Roose has taken his seat on the Iron Throne?

• 2 weeks later...

Give it to Massey or Horpe if Fat Walda dies.

14 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I would like to see it razed to the ground, and the land surrounding it should be salted, for good measure. Something the Starks should have done 1,000 yrs ago. 

:rofl:

On 3/31/2016 at 3:28 AM, chrisdaw said:

Something the show might spoil us on, so let's have a go at it before hand.

Eventually Jon is going to fuck Ramsay up. Didn't need the show to see that coming. His nemesis bastard in the North sitting in WF. Ramsay's gutter brawny fighting style against Jon's honourable highborn taught Valyrian sword. Ramsay's dogs for Ghost. And finally that letter pitting them as enemies and hyping the fight.

Jon will obviously win, and then House Bolton will be done with. So, who will Jon then bestow the Dreadfort upon? There's likely some hint in the text somewhere.

That's weird seeing as Stannis is gonna kill the Bolton's before Jon even wakes up

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

I would like to see it razed to the ground, and the land surrounding it should be salted, for good measure. Something the Starks should have done 1,000 yrs ago. 

While this is a tempting idea, the problem is that the Dreadfort is a solidly build fortress, specifically designed to withstand destruction.  It would probably need to be dismantled brick by brick.  I don't even want to think about how long that would take or how much manpower.  Surely more than I can imagine anyone being willing to expend. 

I suppose it could be gutted, like Winterfell, but someone might come along and rebuild it, or it could be used as a base by outlaws, for example.  Far better to find someone trustworthy to hold it, preferably under the direct authority of whoever is in charge of the North.

42 minutes ago, Nevets said:

While this is a tempting idea, the problem is that the Dreadfort is a solidly build fortress, specifically designed to withstand destruction.  It would probably need to be dismantled brick by brick.  I don't even want to think about how long that would take or how much manpower.  Surely more than I can imagine anyone being willing to expend. 

I suppose it could be gutted, like Winterfell, but someone might come along and rebuild it, or it could be used as a base by outlaws, for example.  Far better to find someone trustworthy to hold it, preferably under the direct authority of whoever is in charge of the North.

Yeah, that's why I said, "I would like to see it..." ;)

It's not a complicated question... There are lines of succession.  We haven't been told yet who is next in line after Ramsay and Roose are dead, but you can be sure there is a cousin who is next in line and THEY know it.  All they have to do is bend the knee to whoever is in power, and the problem of solved without having to disrupt a millennia old system for determining what belongs to who.  If that cousin, uncle, second cousin, whatever, won't bend the knee or is unacceptable for another reason, then they just go to whoever is next in line.  Eventually a politically acceptable heir will come up.

However, Arya may be near the top of the list.  She was married by proxy to Ramsay, so she will have a very solid claim if Ramsay and Roose die.

It was a complicated question for Robb, and I'm not sure there is a cousin next in line, as the series has had ample time and opportunity to explain that (like when Roose is talking about how Ramsay would kill any other child of his) if it were the case and were to become relevant.

And particularly offensive foes tend to lose all their shit when vanquished.

On 2016. 04. 04. at 9:13 PM, pigpiginsunspear said:

I've always been puzzled by this question...

My assumptions:

1. Roose is a forward thinking intelligent man who makes provision for the continuity of his line.

2. Roose is aware of Ramsay's shortcomings.  I would be surprised if he thinks that Ramsay has the intelligence/ability to lead the North (especially given his reputation).

3. He is able to have another child with his Frey wife (indeed she may be pregnant).

4. He knows Ramsay will kill any male child.

5. He is aware he is too old to raise another male heir.

So...my question is, what does Roose have in mind for the future?  Is his claim that he is too old to raise another male heir a lie? Is he planning to kill Ramsay as soon as he has a male heir?

It's a good question, but ... Does Roose truly care? He doesn't seem to be particularly upset by the death of his apparently decent son Domeric, and he makes Ramsay his new heir despite the strong suspicion that Ramsay killed Domeric. He has a somewhat cavalier attitude to the safety of his yet to be born child with Walda. I think having an heir probably has some advantages even while he is alive, but does he really care what will happen after he's gone? I know it's a major issue for most lords but Roose seems to be in many ways ... well, different.

Archived