Is it profitable ?

RUSSELL BELL

HBO could rest on it's laurels for a while if needed. The subscriptions are not usually monthly so even after it ends people will have to keep it until it runs out, and people forget to cancel as well. As to the money and profits, I know of several people who have added HBO in the last couple of years just for GOT. I have never heard of people doing that for any other show.

For all the hate the show and show runners get for "in world" decisions they make, they have done what no one else has.

On 27/07/2016 at 6:37 PM, dbunting said:

As to the money and profits, I know of several people who have added HBO in the last couple of years just for GOT. I have never heard of people doing that for any other show.

They did it for The Sopranos and True Blood as well, back in the day.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 7:58 PM, Werthead said:

They did it for The Sopranos and True Blood as well, back in the day.

Ok, I didn't have it when those were in their prime. I got it again back before Boardwalk Empire was starting, that had nothing to do with decision, just remember it starting not long after we got HBO again.

So I tried to find a realible source that backs up the people on here that say GoT gets 20 million views. That's not true. The numbers I've seen are sub 10 million.

The thing about HBO/Netflix is that they don't care about the number. They care about how many people are talking about their shows. GoT is the perfect example of this. This is a GoT forum. I know this is hard to believe but I think everyone would be shocked at how small the viewer numbers are compared to the amount of "noise" each episode makes. And for this you really have to think about your demographic that surrounds you. Just because the people around you are talking about it doesn't mean that it's watched by "everyone".

An interesting example is the video game community. You'd think there would be a fair amount of cross over right? Well when overwatch came out my friends and I tried to make a GoT themed server. It failed because we literally couldn't find enough GoT fans on that game. 

But bringing this back to the original question of profits, you have to think about profits as being HBO's profits because HBO doesn't sell episodes of GoT, they sell passes to their entire catalogue. Yes GoT seems like a heavy hitter that should be picking up the slack for the other shows on in the catalogue, but as the OP stated, each episode costs a crap ton to make. Silicon Valley on the other hand has like a couple sets? That barely change? I bet that show has a better profitability ratio than GoT.

I know I wrote this long post sort of leading to a thought out answer and explanation. But really I just wanted to bring some ideas into the conversation. I also have to go to work...

Archived