Westeros applied to your country?

Sigella

I feel like this would be appropriate for the Games sub-section, but anyways...

Westerlands: Alberta (Rich, but dependent on a finite resource)

Riverlands: I don't know... the Prairies? (Country's granary... though the Reach also applies)

Iron Islands: The Maritimes (Weird sea-faring people, independence movement sort of present there)

The North: Probably Quebec (Independence movement, present on the "continent" for a longer time, different origins, different religion than most of the other Canadians)

The Reach: Ontario (Most populous region of the country, most influential too)

Dorne: British Columbia (Warmer than the rest of the country, generally more socially progressive as well)

Beyond the Wall: Definitively the Territories (Kind of barren, very cold, inhabited by the initial indigenous peoples of the continent before the two waves of different invaders reached it)

No clue as to what would be the Eyrie or the Stormlands.

• 1 month later...
On 6 april 2016 at 7:35 PM, Joy Hill said:

I don't currently live there, but with Japan :

The North : Hokkaido (cold climate, large and sparsely populated when compared to the rest of the country)

The land beyond the Wall : Sakhalin, the Kuril islands

Riverlands : Tohoku? 

The Vale of Arryn : around the Japanese Alps in central Japan

King's Landing : Tokyo

Oldtown : Kyoto (the old capital, the cultural center of the country)

Lannisport : Osaka

Stormlands : Kyushu (it's one of the parts of the country that tends to be hit particularly harshly by typhoons)

Dorne : Okinawa (joined the country later, a little different culturally)

+1 on Kyoto as Oldtown.

On 6 april 2016 at 7:09 PM, Melisandre's White Pubes said:

I was actually born in Northeast Oklahoma, buy they have a different culture there than most of Oklahoma and are considerably more civilized.  I migrated to Texas as a kid.

So I'm a Thenn in Oldtown (Dallas, largest city in its region, looks down on Houston, capital of the Bible Belt).

"a Thenn in Oldtown" :D That would indeed be something to behold!

On 6 april 2016 at 7:36 PM, Sullen said:

I feel like this would be appropriate for the Games sub-section, but anyways...

Westerlands: Alberta (Rich, but dependent on a finite resource)

Riverlands: I don't know... the Prairies? (Country's granary... though the Reach also applies)

Iron Islands: The Maritimes (Weird sea-faring people, independence movement sort of present there)

The North: Probably Quebec (Independence movement, present on the "continent" for a longer time, different origins, different religion than most of the other Canadians)

The Reach: Ontario (Most populous region of the country, most influential too)

Dorne: British Columbia (Warmer than the rest of the country, generally more socially progressive as well)

Beyond the Wall: Definitively the Territories (Kind of barren, very cold, inhabited by the initial indigenous peoples of the continent before the two waves of different invaders reached it)

No clue as to what would be the Eyrie or the Stormlands.

I've heard/read somewhere that Alberta is the "serial killer-capital" of the world, so its really fitting to be home to Gregor Clegane... ;)

Shape-wise if south Greece would be dorne/myr etc, most of europe is Westeros, Aegean Sea is Narrow Sea, Istanbul would be Bravos, Anatolia being the dothraki sea, Cyprus is Old Valyria, Syria is slavers' bay, Israel is asshai...

10 hours ago, Quillon said:

Shape-wise if south Greece would be dorne/myr etc, most of europe is Westeros, Aegean Sea is Narrow Sea, Istanbul would be Bravos, Anatolia being the dothraki sea, Cyprus is Old Valyria, Syria is slavers' bay, Israel is asshai...

Cool thought!

If Europe is Westeros I'd be a northman (scandinavia), the english and irish would be ironborn, the netherlands and denmark is Riverlands, Switzerland and Austria is the Vale, Iceland is Dragonstone, France and Italy is the Reach (the Vatican does make for one awesome Oldtown!), Germany is the Crownlands, Spain is Dorne with Gibraltar as its arm,... The ones I have problem locating would be the Marchlands (Portugal, maybe?) and Stormlands... We don't get a whole lot of storms in Europe to my knowledge.

Since Slavers Bay has pyramids, we have no choice but to designate it to Egypt, though.

UK...

London: Kings landing 

Scotland: north of the wall 

Northern England: the north 

Cornwall: Dorne I guess, but not nearly warm enough 

Although in reality, the UK is probably the Iron Islands. 

The North. Queens. Mass land with a thin population

Vale. Washington Heights. The terrain is very mountainous, high as honor

The Riverlands. The Village, rich history, not the heartland but certainly important

The Iron Islands. The Bronx. Separated from the rest, they developed a strong loyalty to themselves.

The Reach. Brooklyn. Huge amounts of land with the population and income to back it up.

The Westernlands. The upper east side. Snotty bastards.

Dorne. Staten Island. They get looked down to by other Newyorkers. Hard to get to

KL. Tribeca. Skyscrapers, CityHall, its good to be the king.

Dragonstone, Ellis Island, Wakes the immigrants, turns them American

Beyond the Wall. The World.

The North - Upper Midwest - Gets cold as all get out when the winds of winter blow. 

The Vale - Appalachia (WV, KY, VA)- Leave us alone in our mountains 

Riverlands - Mississippi river area - big rivers, lots of farmland 

Iron Islands - The Caribbean 

The Reach - Midwest - Flat, fertile and expansive

Westerlands - Pacific Coast - False sense of superiority, geography and theirs gold in them there hills

Dorne - New Mexico, Arizona, Texas - Dry climate, strange customs. 

Crownlands - Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland, D.C., New York State

Stormlands - Southern East Coast - Hurricane Central

Beyond the Wall - Canada

4 hours ago, Sigella said:

Cool thought!

If Europe is Westeros I'd be a northman (scandinavia), the english and irish would be ironborn, the netherlands and denmark is Riverlands, Switzerland and Austria is the Vale, Iceland is Dragonstone, France and Italy is the Reach (the Vatican does make for one awesome Oldtown!), Germany is the Crownlands, Spain is Dorne with Gibraltar as its arm,... The ones I have problem locating would be the Marchlands (Portugal, maybe?) and Stormlands... We don't get a whole lot of storms in Europe to my knowledge.

Since Slavers Bay has pyramids, we have no choice but to designate it to Egypt, though.

Depends. 
I'd flip Europe on the side and suddently it kinda fits better.

Spain would be Dorne as it is and allways has been

UK would be the reach (admittedly with a broken arm)

France would be part Reach part Stormlands(as it surely was at some point in the hundred years war)

Germany would be the Westerlands (and a little Reach ocupation again)

Italy would be the Crownlands with Rome kinda being Kingslanding

Poland would be the Riverlands

The Balkans and Greece would be the Vale (look at Greece it really looks like the fingers)

Denmark would be the Iron Islands (what fits cause only the Danish are the original Vikings)

The North would beginn in the Ukraine (with Krim being Widows Watch and Russia kinda being Winterfell)

Africa would be Essos 

1 hour ago, The Snow Bear said:

Depends. 
I'd flip Europe on the side and suddently it kinda fits better.

Spain would be Dorne as it is and allways has been

UK would be the reach (admittedly with a broken arm)

France would be part Reach part Stormlands(as it surely was at some point in the hundred years war)

Germany would be the Westerlands (and a little Reach ocupation again)

Italy would be the Crownlands with Rome kinda being Kingslanding

Poland would be the Riverlands

The Balkans and Greece would be the Vale (look at Greece it really looks like the fingers)

Denmark would be the Iron Islands (what fits cause only the Danish are the original Vikings)

The North would beginn in the Ukraine (with Krim being Widows Watch and Russia kinda being Winterfell)

Africa would be Essos 

France is pretty much as Reach as Reach goes though.

Between being the granary of the continent, by far the most populous Kingdom, being the home of chivalry, and having some of the very best wine in the world, I'd say they're a perfect match.

Fun game, congrats :thumbsup:

My land is a bit tricky or a bit easy as it is close in formation to britain...

I'll just say the ancient kingdom of Portugal and it´s people are to Europe in general the Stony Dornishmen or Stormlanders from the Marches because being myself from the Northern region i'm too much white for a sandy one...

On 26 maj 2016 at 9:56 PM, Peter Haroski said:

Finland is ok being Skagos. 

Nah, Finland is Bravos from where I sit. Annoyingly, that makes Gotland Skagos.... :huh:

On 26 maj 2016 at 1:01 AM, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

Fun game, congrats :thumbsup:

My land is a bit tricky or a bit easy as it is close in formation to britain...

I'll just say the ancient kingdom of Portugal and it´s people are to Europe in general the Stony Dornishmen or Stormlanders from the Marches because being myself from the Northern region i'm too much white for a sandy one...

Thanks!

I'm thinking that Portugal might fit to the islands serving under Dragonstone - considering seafaring and the international trade that comes from seafaring, so long as you're not iron born.

On 27 maj 2016 at 4:09 PM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

The Westerosi economic situation in 300 AL is quite similar with my country's economic situation.

Well if Europe were Westeros then Germany would be the Crownlands and, well... We all know what happens if you piss Cersei off.

I live in Italy.

Geographically, I've always imagined Westeros as the UK more or less and Daenery's territories as something more asian. Anyway, trying to play the game..

KL should be Rome because it's the capital

Casterly Rock would be Milan, where the economic power is

Highgarden possibly Florence (even if it's not as 'green'.. under this aspect, the Reggia di Caserta, sourrounded by all his garends and fountains, reminds me of it)

Pentos would be Palermo or Agrigento

Without thinking of the cities, there are many castles and royal places and villas who looks like the main castles (or give me that 'vibe').

Historically, it's different

Valyria = ancient Rome, like this place which once was glorious but when the story is set, is gone.

The free cities = Italy in the XV century

some of the characters have 'italian' influences.. there are echoes of emperor Nero - Aerys' idea of burning the city - and of the Borgias - especially the Jamie-Cersei incest = Cesare-Lucrezia incest (which is not even sure it happened) and of course there are echoes here and there of Il Principe by Machiavelli, just to list the first 3 who came to my mind, but there are many references to the romans (as well as the greeks.. Cersei is named after Circe just to say the most obvious)

German here:

The North: Bavaria.
Geographically: Biggest State. Diverse with mountains (Alps) and wide reaches. Often seen as the snowiest one (Not sure about that though)
Culturally: Very aware of their traditions. Bavarians are always seen as somewhat other or stubborn and grumpy. Not the most modern.
Politically: In the hands of one party since almost the beginning. Probably the most religious.

The Riverlands: Baden-Württemberg
Geographically: Really big aswell. Neibourghing Bavaria/the North. Rich in terms of farmlands and ressources. Always forgotten because of their neibourgh Bavaria.
Culturally: Lots of empty castles.
Politically: Recently radically switched their politcal direction from CDU to Greens. Politically not as stable as most originally thought they were.

The Iron Islands: Schleswig-Holstein
Geographically: In the midst of the sea, at least for German conditions. Small.
Culturally: "Wait ... This is a part of Germany? You sure? I almost forgot they exist ..."
Politically: Nobody knows. Nobody cares

The Vale: Thuringia
Geographically: In the Middle. Lots of mountains.
Culturally: Some decades ago they were the starting point of reforming the nation. Not an Andal invasion though.
Politically: Recently changed their leader to somebody most of Germany distrust because of his origin.

The Westerlands: North Rhine-Westphalia
Geographically: Western. Most metal deposits of Germany. Medium-large and densly populated.
Culturally: Always think they are the most important due to their industrial strength.
Politically: Ruled by a blonde woman. That's it.

The Reach: Rhineland-Palatinate
Geographically: South-Western. Rural.
Culturally: Lots! Of! Wine! Try to set themself apart from their neighbours.
Politically: Play not the role you'd assume them to do.

The Stormlands: Lower Saxony
Geographically: Bordering the sea. That's where we set up our wind turbines.
Culturally: Also not playing the role you'd expect them to do. Somehow they subliminal set the rule what is archetypical German for Germans.
Politically: Our past president came from there. Then we murdered him (politically). He was not fit for the job. Yep.

Dragonstone: Hamburg
Geographically: Neighbouring the Stormlands/Lower Saxony.
Culturally: Seafarers.
Politically: For a long time they clinged fanatically to some past dynasty (social democrats) that has long sailed.

The Crownlands/Kings Landing: Berlin
Geographically: Eastern in relative proximity to the border of the country.
Culturally: Somewhat dirty. In huge debt. High criminality rates. Harsh contrast between poor and rich parts.
Politically: Captial, which it became only after Germany was eventually united.

Dorne: Saarland
Geographically: Last one to join the Federal Republic.
Culturally: Somewhat different from the rest of Germany.
Politically: Has (despite being small and therefore 'remote') a suprisingly huge impact on Germany through individual persons. 

Archived