Westeros applied to your country?

Sigella

Oldtown is New York City. The former capital, still the economic, cultural, and shipping center.

This makes the Reach the lower Hudson region/NYC suburbs. Densely populated, significantly wealthier than most of the other regions, quite economically productive. Some of this region also produces some incredible grapes, being a viable suggestion for the Arbor.

King's Landing is Albany, the seat of government, and one of the next densest metro areas. The Crownlands are the capital region. Quite profitable.

The Vale would be the Northeast region, with the Mountains of the Moon being the Adirondacks. I'd put Gulltown being Plattsburgh. The non mountainous parts of the region have a valuable agrarian heritage.

The North would be the rest of the North Country. The Tug Hill would be the Northern Mountains, very snowy, harsh climate, the locals are viewed as yokels by the downstaters/southerners. The region is pretty densely forested and the areas that can be farmed are. This would make White Harbor as Watertown.

The Thousands Islands straddle these two regions, and can be the Three Sisters and Skagos. These are more shipping hubs and nature preserves than pirates dens and scary backwaters, though.

The Westerlands are Western New York. Buffalo can be Lannisport, one of the other highest populated metro-areas. Not a lot of parallelse outside of this.

The Central New York/Mohawk Valley region is the Riverlands. The Erie Canal is the Trident, I suppose. There are quite a few medium settlements, though not as big as the densest hubs. Very agriculturally viable.

I guess Dorne is Long Island. It sort of juts out into the sea and is geographically separate, plus it borders the Reach. It's way too wealthy as a whole to be the Iron Islands or the Stormlands.

I don't have a very good parallel for the Iron Islands or the Stormlands that haven't been used yet.

I myself will be going to college in Maidenpool(Syracuse). I'm from the border between the Riverlands and the North. Geographically part of the North, but economically closer to the Riverlands. Picture if the Neck was good farmland with some trees instead of swamps.

ETA: The Kingsroad is the NYS Freeway.

Beyond the Wall may geographically Canada, but from our perspective, the Wildlings are people from New Jersey. A savage, backwards people that we'll take any chance to deride.

That's what I've got for now, feel free to chime in.

In Brazil I think we'd have something like this:

The North: Southern states. Not just because they're the coldest. People from the southern region are very proud of being from there and Rio Grande do Sul actually tried to secede from the Empire in the 19th century to create the Riograndense Republic. Their culture is heavily influenced by the large influx of german immigrants, which sets them apart from the rest of the country. I don't see the point of building a wall along the uruguayan border, though. Maybe along the argentinean border, we're already busy enough with our own respective soccer hooligans without having to deal with one another's.

Dorne: The northeast region, both because of the climate and the way the inhabitants are seen by the rest of the population.

Iron Islands: Brazil doesn't have any major island settlements, so I'm gonna go with the northern states of Acre, Rondônia, Roraima and Amapá. Nobody knows much about them and nobody really cares about what's going on over there. Maybe throw Tocantins and Espírito Santo into the mix.

Vale of Arryn: My home state of Minas Gerais if famous around here for its hilly landscape and our lands are very fertile, so I guess it's as good a choice as any.

Westerlands: The southeastern states of Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo. Most of the wealth is concentrated there because of oil (black gold).

The Reach: The central-west region. A large and fertile flatland.

Riverlands: Hard to tell. Could be a mix of the Pantanal region, the Amazon basin and a portion of the central-west. That would combine fertile lands with abundant water supply.

Crownlands / King's Landing: Brasília, definitely. Not only is it the seat of power but at any given time pretty much everyone there is plotting against someone else.

Stormlands: Hard to tell as the Stormlands don't have many defining characteristics aside from weather (to the best of what I remember), so I'm gonna say the tropical regions along the equator (mainly around Belém and Manaus) because it rains pretty much all year long over there.

I'm not even gonna try to analyze it from a political standpoint. Even experts are having a hard time making sense of what's been going on around here this past year.

An interesting idea, though: Our soccer teams (including the national team) are administered in a very Pentoshi way. The "cartolas" are the magisters and the coach is the Prince. As soon as the team starts losing (and not a moment later) the coach is fired to appease the fans. Some teams change coaches multiple times during a season.

Finland as Westeros

The Reach: Southwest Finland has flat and fertile land and Turku (Åbo) is oldest city in Finland and former capital so its oldtown

Crownlands: southern Finland where the capital Helsinki is

Riverlands: bit harder because Finland doesn't have very large rivers despite having thousands lakes, so central Finland, Northern and southern savonia are riverlands, because these areas are very lake rich area so there are several small rivers.

Dorne: Åland islands are culturaly and lingually different than most of Finland, almost completely swedish in language

Westerlands: Kainuu region have several high hills and some mining industry.

North: Lapland, northest, coldest, largest and most sparsely populated area.

Vale: Northwestern most part Finland called Enontekiö, only place in Finland where are Scandic mountains.

Iron islands: Åland islands again, only because they are only large island setlement.

Stormlands: Western and north western coast. Windy area though not much actuall storms. 

I'm in the US but grew up in Turkey. US seems well represented here, so I'll do Turkey...which will be difficult, as there is no geographical overlap with Westeros.

King's Landing: Istanbul-Constantinople. It's not on the east coast of Turkey (there is no east coast of Turkey lol) but it actually fits well: It was the Byzantine, then Ottoman capital for centuries plus the home of the Patriarchate and the Caliph. It was protected by water and by walls. It used Greek fire and a chain for protection.

Crownlands: Thrace and Kocaeli, surrounding Istanbul on the European and Asian side.

Dorne: The Mediterranean coast, from Fethiye to Mersin, with Antalya as main city.

Reach: Ankara and Konya Plain in Central Anatolia, the bread basket of the country.

The Vale: Eastern Black Sea coast around the Pontic Alps. Mountainous, with fertile strips.

The North: Eastern Anatolia, with long, horrendous winters, generally difficult climate, sparse population. I'd put the Wall on the Iranian border. 

Westerlands: Northern Aegean coast, with its mining and wealth. Izmir would be the main city.

Riverlands: East-Central Turkey, generally fertile regions around the heavily dammed Euphrates River.

Stormlands: West-Central Black Sea Coast. Rainy, sparsely populated. 

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 6:45 PM, ForTheNorth said:

North: Minnesota, North Dakota, Northern Michigan. 

Westerlands: California, Washington, Oregon 

Kingslanding: New York

Crownlands: Washington DC, Philly, Virginia 

Stormlands: Gulf Coast

Riverlands: Mississippi, Northern Louisiana, Missouri 

Dorne: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico 

Reach: Nebraska, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Southern Michigan, West Virginia 

Iron Islands: New England 

Lands beyond the wall : Canada lol

Best I got 

This seems right to me.

I'm from Hungary, Europe.

If Europe is Westeros, then Hungary is the Riverlands.

"The riverlands encompass a region of plains, forests, hills, and endless rivers." We have these, but some of them are separated. I mean that the Northern and Western parts have the hills, while the Eastern and Southern parts have the plains. Forests and rivers are everywhere. And sometimes we have the winds of the Stormlands.

Map: http://egykisfoldrajz.freeiz.com/MagyDomborzat.jpg

Or Hungary is like the Vale too.

"The Vale ..., a land of fertile soil, rivers, and lakes, protected by its largely impassable Mountains of the Moon. The Vale tends to be slightly isolated from the rest of Westeros."
Even we had/have our Mountains of the Moon= the Carpathians. The Carpathians and a part of the Alps surround Hungary.

Map: http://www.map.hu/galeria/orig/1263_a_karpat-terseg_hegy-_es_vizrajza.jpg

Also we are slightly isolated from the rest of Europe, especially our neighbour countries due to the consequences of World War I. what we lost (about 67-71% of the lands of Hungary's was taken away and given to the neighbour countries).

On 29/5/2016 at 3:39 PM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Well we do have hot summers and for me the high noons of July is almost unbearable so I would agree and say something like Red Mountainous Dornishmen. I always wanted to be a Dayne :D 

We do not have deserts though.But Dorne fits better in Greece.

Aegean Islands are Stepstones,Lys,Myr,Tyrosh.

I am probably an orphan of the Greenblood.My hometown is near one of the biggest rivers of Greece.

12 hours ago, King Endymion Targaryen said:

We do not have deserts though.But Dorne fits better in Greece.

The deserts is why I cannot say Dorne in general. However some places could be like Reach.

Aegean Islands are Stepstones,Lys,Myr,Tyrosh.

Agree. However Lys and Myr remind me of Ionian Islands.

I am probably an orphan of the Greenblood.My hometown is near one of the biggest rivers of Greece.

Or a Riverlander because of the weather.

• 4 months later...
On 17 juni 2016 at 10:05 PM, OmnomnomPomelo said:

I'm from Hungary, Europe.

If Europe is Westeros, then Hungary is the Riverlands.

"The riverlands encompass a region of plains, forests, hills, and endless rivers." We have these, but some of them are separated. I mean that the Northern and Western parts have the hills, while the Eastern and Southern parts have the plains. Forests and rivers are everywhere. And sometimes we have the winds of the Stormlands.

Map: http://egykisfoldrajz.freeiz.com/MagyDomborzat.jpg

Or Hungary is like the Vale too.

"The Vale ..., a land of fertile soil, rivers, and lakes, protected by its largely impassable Mountains of the Moon. The Vale tends to be slightly isolated from the rest of Westeros."
Even we had/have our Mountains of the Moon= the Carpathians. The Carpathians and a part of the Alps surround Hungary.

Map: http://www.map.hu/galeria/orig/1263_a_karpat-terseg_hegy-_es_vizrajza.jpg

Also we are slightly isolated from the rest of Europe, especially our neighbour countries due to the consequences of World War I. what we lost (about 67-71% of the lands of Hungary's was taken away and given to the neighbour countries).

The biggest question to this is where to place Transylvania? And who is Dracula? the Mountain or Roose Bolton? I'm personally leaning mountain as we know him for undead :D

• 5 months later...

Our Wall - Darband castle  (https://www.google.az/search?q=azerbaijan+map&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjz3eq_yJLTAhVKEiwKHX7-ANcQ_AUIBigB&biw=1366&bih=662#tbm=isch&q=darband+castle+russia&imgrc=h_46QJg_fONYYM:)

Winterfell - Quba 

Casterly Rock - Naxçıvan

KL - Baku

Sunspear - Lankaran

High Garden - Shusa

Riverrun - Ganja

Vale - Shaki

Storm's end - Qakh

Oldtown - Shamakhi

Archived