What will happen with Longclaw?

Now that JS is dead, what will happen with his sword Longclaw? I mean usually he just keep it and he'd be burried with it or something... but Longclaw is the ancient valaryan sword of house Mormont, would it make sense to return it? If thats the case or not... what do you think will happen to JS's sword not that hes dead?

That would depend on what happens in the immediate aftermatch of his stabbing.  If it turns into bloodshed of NW vs wildlings, the wildlings will win and likely recover both his body and sword.  If no one knows what's going on at first that leaves the option open for other parties such as Mel to steal the body and sword.

3 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

That would depend on what happens in the immediate aftermatch of his stabbing.  If it turns into bloodshed of NW vs wildlings, the wildlings will win and likely recover both his body and sword.  If no one knows what's going on at first that leaves the option open for other parties such as Mel to steal the body and sword.

That or Jon is carried away with Longclaw by any supporters in the area who will stand guard over him. 

4 minutes ago, ErasmusF said:

Jon doesn't have Longclaw when he is stabbed, right? I know he doesn't in the show. 

Yes he does. 

Jon reached for Longclaw, but his fingers had grown stiff and clumsy. DwD 913. 

The scenes are completely different. In the show, he is lured out. In the books he walks out freely while he notices Wun-Wun attacking a few men before he is confronted. Jon is armed. 

You know, I wondered if Longclaw isn't actually a Nights Watch sword as opposed to a Mormont sword.   In any case it's a really good question.  I can see someone close to Jon secreting Longclaw as easily as I can picture it lost and/or taken up as noted above.   I would like to see one of the rats who stabbed Jon take it and try to make off with then meet up with Tormund and Dolorous Edd.  I wonder what would happen if the sword was returned to Bear Island.  

Jon has it when he's stabbed. There's several instances of foreshadowing regarding his burnt hand, where he thinks to himself that if he doesn't keep stretching it out it will grow clumsy and make it hard for him to wield his sword. As to what will happen after his death, I think the wildlings will secure his body and his sword. Maybe perform some old god ritual at a weirwood tree?

Given that the sword now belonged to Jon,  it would theoretically pass to his heir as with any of the rest of his personal items.  Its potentially complicated by his membership in the Night's Watch,  but it should pass through normal lines of succession,  meaning that it passes to (f)Arya,  who we know to be an imposter.  

That being said,  few present at the Wall would bother observing rights of inheritance and, realistically, it would end up with whoever had the ability to take it from the rest.  

On 4/5/2016 at 9:08 PM, Curled Finger said:

You know, I wondered if Longclaw isn't actually a Nights Watch sword as opposed to a Mormont sword.  

What part of Jeor telling Jon that Longclaw is his family sword do you not get? Is it the part where Jeor talks about how Jorah was good enough to leave the ancestral weapon on Bear Island?

@Dorian Martell You are so charming.   The part of the Night Watch vows that precludes the brothers from owning lands etcetera and so forth. A Lord left his ancestral sword at the ancestral home with the heir.   The heir ended up being a disappointment.   Why wouldn't one of the women keep it?  Why return it to Jeor at the Wall if he has no family but the brothers now?  It wasn't his sword, it was a family sword.  The women of Bear Island don't feel they are worthy?   Those badasses?   Please.   It is so far beyond your reality that Jeor doesn't belong to the Mormont family anymore therefore his possessions don't either?  Perhaps I was being too literal in interpreting the vows and happy coincidence of VS being in the right place at the right time.   Perhaps you are too literal when considering Jeor's words not in conflict with his actions.   is there anything in this story or discussions that gives you any pleasure at all?   

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

@Dorian Martell You are so charming.   The part of the Night Watch vows that precludes the brothers from owning lands etcetera and so forth. A Lord left his ancestral sword at the ancestral home with the heir.   The heir ended up being a disappointment.   Why wouldn't one of the women keep it?  Why return it to Jeor at the Wall if he has no family but the brothers now?  It wasn't his sword, it was a family sword.  The women of Bear Island don't feel they are worthy?   Those badasses?   Please.   It is so far beyond your reality that Jeor doesn't belong to the Mormont family anymore therefore his possessions don't either?  Perhaps I was being too literal in interpreting the vows and happy coincidence of VS being in the right place at the right time.   Perhaps you are too literal when considering Jeor's words not in conflict with his actions.   is there anything in this story or discussions that gives you any pleasure at all?   

Thank you, I had no idea anyone thought I was charming ;) 
As for why the women didn't keep it? I seem to remember the Mormont women fighting with spiked maces. 
As for the "reality" of Jeor's vows transferring to his possessions? It doesn't work like that. When Jon is being told about the shield hall, it is explained that when highborn men took the black, their house shields were hung in the hall until they died, then the shields were send back to the respective houses. So no, property is not auto-transferred to the watch when vows are spoken. 

BTW,  anonymous people calling me charming on the internet gives me great pleasure. Thanks for asking :)

On 4/4/2016 at 2:28 PM, TheAegonBEFOREAegonI said:

Now that JS is dead, what will happen with his sword Longclaw? I mean usually he just keep it and he'd be burried with it or something... but Longclaw is the ancient valaryan sword of house Mormont, would it make sense to return it? If thats the case or not... what do you think will happen to JS's sword not that hes dead?

Why does everyone assume JS is dead?  People survive stabbings..not to mention a stabbing that takes place in a bitter cold area...where ones bloodflow is slowed down.

JS very well may be alive and breathing at the beginning of TWOW.  We just don't know yet.

1 hour ago, SevasTra82 said:

Why does everyone assume JS is dead?  People survive stabbings..not to mention a stabbing that takes place in a bitter cold area...where ones bloodflow is slowed down.

JS very well may be alive and breathing at the beginning of TWOW.  We just don't know yet.

I can only answer for myself but I imagine other people are thinking along similar lines.

1.  Foreshadowing.  We have Beric and Catlyns resurrections which have thus far amounted to just about nothing.  Killing some Freys and some Lannisters, but Beric led to Cat, and now Cat may have a large impact on Brienne and Jaime, but that could have been done by the Blackfish or Beric without involving Cat.  There has to be some build up here.  Then there is Mels vision of Jon being a man, then wolf, then man again.  Combining this vision with Jons dream where Bran is a weirwood and Jon is Ghost and he has a convo with Bran that we don't get to hear and Jon does not fully remember, and Varamyrs prologue where we learn that when a warg dies their spirit go's into their animal, and it seems pretty clear that Jon is going into Ghost for a while and will likely learn things from Bran.

2.  The stabbing.  While people can survive knife wounds, Jons are severe.  Daggers are balanced, so half the weight is in the blade and half in the hilt.  When Jon is stabbed he describes it like being punched, incidentally the same way Kevan described his crossbow bolt which we know killed him.  When Jon looks down the dagger is planted, he has to yank it out.  This means the dagger was in to the hilt or at least close to it, otherwise it would have fallen out.  Medieval daggers are also not kitchen knives, the blade would be at least 6 inches long and fairly thick in both ways.  This in and of itself is not just a scratch, but the next wound came in-between the shoulder blades.  I would invite you to feel in-between your own shoulder blades, and point out that what you are feeling is your spine.  If the dagger went in horizontally then Jons spine was split and he was dead plain and simple.  If it went in vertically this could still be the case but it is also potentially possible that it would miss the spine, only to puncture a lung on 1 side, or a lung and his heart on the other side.  The side that contains his heart would be death, and the combo of a punctured lung along with his gut wound would permanently cripple anyone who survived.  The arm on the side of the wound would also be useless.

Since Jon would need to be magically healed to be more than a cripple, and a real meaningful death and resurrection has imo been foreshadowed, it follows naturally that we would suspect Jon is dead and will be resurrected in some fashion. 

Archived