Peaky Blinders Season 3 - Spoilers

HexMachina

Really loving this season so far and excited to see where they take everything. The scene between Tommy and Luca was great, very tense and gave me chills with the music in the background. Shoutout to Esme at the beginning too, her grief and anger was a palpable thing on the screen. Funny to remember that the marriage between John and Esme was just a means to making peace back in season one but it developed into genuine love between them.

Pol is back. Awesome. I love Helen McCrory so much.

Not sure about Aberara Gold yet. His motivations re: his son don’t seem very compelling really, so I don’t know if there is more to that. Just seems a bit strange to say “he’s in this for more than just money” and then have that reason be his son wanting to box... :dunno: 

Small gripe - when did everyone become so blatantly condescending towards women? I know people DO act like this but don’t recall it being such a thing in earlier seasons. I suppose it could be a case of seeing a woman in a position of power making them act like that but I dunno, it felt a bit off for some reason

• 3 weeks later...

This season has been enjoyable so far but it certainly isn't my favourite. Some cool scenes but ultimately I just don't feel the same high stakes and sense of danger that I probably should - which is peculiar when this season has seen a Shelby brother die. 

I'm also a bit disappointed that after the arrests at the end of last season not a lot seems to have come back of it. Thankfully we can see how it has affected the characters (Polly in particular) but overall it feels like a flop. Maybe I just had different expectations from last season's finale :dunno:

Not really a fan of Gold either but then I don't really like the actor. But the character also seems a whole sack of nothingness too

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

This season has been enjoyable so far but it certainly isn't my favourite. Some cool scenes but ultimately I just don't feel the same high stakes and sense of danger that I probably should - which is peculiar when this season has seen a Shelby brother die. 

I'm also a bit disappointed that after the arrests at the end of last season not a lot seems to have come back of it. Thankfully we can see how it has affected the characters (Polly in particular) but overall it feels like a flop. Maybe I just had different expectations from last season's finale :dunno:

Not really a fan of Gold either but then I don't really like the actor. But the character also seems a whole sack of nothingness too

I've actually really enjoyed this season, but I do agree that it was kind of dumb how they all got arrested at the end of last season only for it to be explained away in the first five minutes of this one.

Well, that was fucking disappointing. The problem with having a main character that's so much fucking smarter than everyone else and that always comes out not only on top, but higher than before, is that it makes it really hard to make the stakes feel high and any threat to be believable. I was hoping that this season would be the one to put an end to that and the brief moment where Arthur seemed dead really gave me hope towards that happening.

But of course in the end Tommy just fucking outsmarts everyone once again and rises even higher. Which feels incredibly anti-climatic and boring. Not even John's death or the whole family in nooses puts a dent in Tommy. And it feels like a waste of a fine and hammy performance from Adrien Brody.

At least Alfie got to go out like a fucking champ.

Two episodes in.

John's death did nothing for me. He was always the one Shelby I was completely indifferent about. It's no surprise one of them eventually gets killed, may as well be the throw away Shelby.

Oh man, Adrien Brody's character is laughably bad. His accent is a terrible combination of Vito and Michael Corleone. And he has a tattoo of a fucking black hand on his hand. Tommy needs to hire new security after they allowed him into the shop.

I'm hoping Polly and Michael make it to Australia eventually.

What was the OBE(?) Tommy wanted when offering up the letters in exchange for the pardons? Order of the British Empire?

A very numerous crew of scenery chewers in this season, o my.

Like others say, the security and the numbers of those killed, while the plot armored never die in the prolonged shootouts are the flaws.  But I'm enjoying it immensely.  It's perfect tonight (already ripped through three more eps) during this day's and this long week's holiday prep and everything else I need to do.  Kick back with a cerveza and just cruise with the Shelbys, you betcha.

10 minutes ago, Zorral said:

A very numerous crew of scenery chewers in this season, o my.

Like others say, the security and the numbers of those killed, while the plot armored never die in the prolonged shootouts are the flaws.  But I'm enjoying it immensely.  It's perfect tonight (already ripped through three more eps) during this day's and this long week's holiday prep and everything else I need to do.  Kick back with a cerveza and just cruise with the Shelbys, you betcha.

I actually like that not everyone is a crack shot on this show.  Feels a lot more realistic, especially when they're shooting those big, inaccurate machine guns.  

Having finished it last night, it seemed too crammed and too choppy and too short.  I'm glad season 5 will be its last.  It's running out of steam.

The Adrian Brody character didn't work for me -- it started out ok, but got too ridiculous the more we saw him.

I did like the Gold guy a lot.  Want to see what he and Pol get up to next year.

I also loved the last scene and the conclusion.  It somehow made so much sense (except for the Roma background, but nevermind).  However, I'm didn't feel convinced of historical accuracy at all, considering who Jessie Eden really was -- she's not a fictional character.

Decent season. An extra two episodes would have been nice. I agree with GallowKnight's post; there's no real tension when Tommy is always one step ahead of his rivals. Not sure how I feel about his entering politics. I suppose I'll decide after the next season. Cillian Murphy killed it again this season. Excellent performance.

Related to that, Polly's "betrayal" never fooled me. There may be tension between Tommy and Polly, but they're always loyal to one another. Well, when it comes to family at least. Like Cillian, Helen was very good this season. But no surprise, she's good in everything.

John's death really never seemed to resonate throughout the season. It fell flat for me.  I never believed my favorite character Arthur's death. It's Arfur Fookin Shelby! The flashback to what actually happened during the boxing match felt a bit cheap. I think he was a bit too merciful with Luca. I wonder if he carved Luca's name on that bullet.

I felt Luca was a terrible villain. That accent, the tattoos and matchstick. He came across as a complete joke and went out like one. I actually preferred the Russians last season.

In retrospect, I really liked Alfie's death. He went out on his own terms and I like to believe he orchestrated his own "death-by-Tommy" by setting him up at the boxing match knowing Tommy would come for him and thus end his suffering from cancer.

Archived