Peaky Blinders Season 3 - Spoilers

HexMachina

The historic period, the locations -- as portrayed within the series's time period, excellent cinematography, the fine actors and the generally pretty good writing makes Peaky Blinders about the best tv going at present.

Not to mention the gorgeous horses we get to view usually at least once in each episode.

Actually it's not like most television, such as, o say, The Killjoys, in which I can speak the actors' lines before the actors do.

Still, it all depends on taste, right?  :cheers:

well, good. Glad Nextflix is picking it up. The Brits have all the best shows.

I cannot say that I enjoy Peaky Blinders, but I like the gritty feel of it.  I also like Ripper Street (is that the name?), but it got all maudlin with the ridiculous ending.

Iskaral Pust :: it is a lot like the Grandfather in certain respects. But the settings and costumes make me forget that

Polly gets all the best/wittiest lines. "She's stolen his soul and taken it to a better place...the suburbs." And her/Alexander Siddig :love: Helen McCrory is so good.

And the shot of her walking out on strike with the other women was great.

Loved Linda too, she was so formidable. 

Tatiana too...this was really an episode showcasing the women of the show

On 23/4/2016 at 10:57 PM, Martini Sigil said:

This is the best show no one knows about ....lol... yeah... I'm gonna have to either re-watch, or at the very least wiki just to refresh myself with what the hell is going on... 

Gomorrah is absolutely fantastic if you haven't seen it, don't think it even has a thread here :(

1 hour ago, dooog said:

Gomorrah is absolutely fantastic if you haven't seen it, don't think it even has a thread here :(

I am about half way through it.  I'd love to see the television series, but that isn't on netflix.

13 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Saw that.  Yay!

We can start watching here in a few days . . . .

14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I am about half way through it.  I'd love to see the television series, but that isn't on netflix.

Saw that.  Yay!

We can start watching here in a few days . . . .

Halfway through the movie? I wasn't mad about it

The series is excellent, season 2 just started airing about a month ago and I have no way of watching it :angry2:

OOOkay, babee -- have watched the first three episodes of season 3.  Yah, I'm a wimp -- three eps in a row are binging for me.

Ooo, the line about the dress made in Paris and stolen in Birmingham was even more delicious in context -- Polly's relative stealing it from her employer, back in the day, for Polly wearing it now for her painted portrait, in which she impersonates that late Edwardian era Sargent sort of lady in those sorts of gowns and gloves -- but yet wit that 1920's hairstyle. All of that was so cool, without diverting or distracting us from the Business.

Spoiler

I do wish that They didn't murder Tommy's wife in order to keep us a little sympathetic to this criminal.

Nevermind.  I'm loving it.  This series is the only serious contender for the best horses.  And I'm still a sucker for walking through manufacturing Birmingham with all the stell and fire.\

19 hours ago, Zorral said:

OOOkay, babee -- have watched the first three episodes of season 3.  Yah, I'm a wimp -- three eps in a row are binging for me.

Ooo, the line about the dress made in Paris and stolen in Birmingham was even more delicious in context -- Polly's relative stealing it from her employer, back in the day, for Polly wearing it now for her painted portrait, in which she impersonates that late Edwardian era Sargent sort of lady in those sorts of gowns and gloves -- but yet wit that 1920's hairstyle. All of that was so cool, without diverting or distracting us from the Business.

Reveal hidden contents

I do wish that They didn't murder Tommy's wife in order to keep us a little sympathetic to this criminal.

Nevermind.  I'm loving it.  This series is the only serious contender for the best horses.  And I'm still a sucker for walking through manufacturing Birmingham with all the stell and fire.\

Helen McCrory has been my absolute favourite this season. There is a scene in episode four

Where she walks out on strike with the other Peaky Blinders women

that is absolutely glorious. But she steals all of her scenes, especially those with Alexander Siddig. 

I was also surprised that

They actually killed Grace. I expected the next episode to open with her in critical condition or something. Bold move, and I think it sort of makes sense - there wasn't really much story left to tease out there. They didn't have to kill her off, she could have just faded into the background, but killing her let them take Tommy to the edge and go to some very dark places. So I guess in the end I was okay with it

its been a great season so far, but we don't get the finale until next Thursday. Sad times! Please think of me when you all binge watch this :( 

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Helen McCrory has been my absolute favourite this season. There is a scene in episode four

Reveal hidden contents

Where she walks out on strike with the other Peaky Blinders women

that is absolutely glorious. But she steals all of her scenes, especially those with Alexander Siddig. 

I was also surprised that

Hide contents

They actually killed Grace. I expected the next episode to open with her in critical condition or something. Bold move, and I think it sort of makes sense - there wasn't really much story left to tease out there. They didn't have to kill her off, she could have just faded into the background, but killing her let them take Tommy to the edge and go to some very dark places. So I guess in the end I was okay with it

its been a great season so far, but we don't get the finale until next Thursday. Sad times! Please think of me when you all binge watch this :( 

Spoiler

I didn't care for that myself.  Fridging the girl again because, well, leaves the protag open for Others, i.e. device rather than character.  But o well.  In some series I'm more willing to overlook wrong decisions and plot holes than in others.

I have been thinking of you throughout watching these episodes, and I won't stop now!  It's so nice having an awareness that somebody else with the sort of sensibility you possess has already seen this -- and when I can, I can go Yay! with you.

However my binge watch is often only one ep a night.  But tonight I made a decision to dole it out like treats, because when I've finished, it's finished. :(  So I'm skipping tonight, though I'm fighting with myself about that.

Just finished the season finally, and if you guys have gotten there yet, holy shit. One thing that is done so well is how things build to a crescendo, giving the show real stakes. Masterfully done.

Also, does anyone else kind of hate Arthur's wife? Maybe it's just because I don't like people like her (super religious and preachy), but something about her seems really manipulative, to the point where I wouldn't have been surprised if she had been the one to have betrayed Tommy (I was actually kind of rooting for it, in part to see what Arthur would do).

Also Alfi <3

So much for me rationing.  I finished season 3 tonight.

49 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Just finished the season finally, and if you guys have gotten there yet, holy shit. One thing that is done so well is how things build to a crescendo, giving the show real stakes. Masterfully done.

Also, does anyone else kind of hate Arthur's wife? Maybe it's just because I don't like people like her (super religious and preachy), but something about her seems really manipulative, to the point where I wouldn't have been surprised if she had been the one to have betrayed Tommy (I was actually kind of rooting for it, in part to see what Arthur would do).

Also Alfi <3

:agree:

But -- the 4th episode --

Spoiler

the women go on strike!  yay!  That was so cool!

I now need to think about it.  The photography / cinematography and the location / mise en scene content are so good -- as well as the music.

Most of all, I love how there are real historical stakes here, beyond the Shelby family's personal fortunes.  

Spoiler

Meaning the Peakys fam getting stuck between the czarist retrogression and bolshivik historical forces.  We won't even mention the priest subplot that we all saw a million miles away, which actually doesn't make sense since the Russian czarist families etc. were Russian Greek Orthodox -- not anything to do with the Evile (from the Greek pov) Catholic Church of Rome. Real problem with that over here; also kinda a cheap writing shot since this biz of the Roman Church's pedophile priests is so much in the forefront of the news these days.

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

So much for me rationing.  I finished season 3 tonight.

:agree:

But -- the 4th episode --

Hide contents

the women go on strike!  yay!  That was so cool!

I now need to think about it.  The photography / cinematography and the location / mise en scene content are so good -- as well as the music.

Most of all, I love how there are real historical stakes here, beyond the Shelby family's personal fortunes.  

Hide contents

Meaning the Peakys fam getting stuck between the czarist retrogression and bolshivik historical forces.  We won't even mention the priest subplot that we all saw a million miles away, which actually doesn't make sense since the Russian czarist families etc. were Russian Greek Orthodox -- not anything to do with the Evile (from the Greek pov) Catholic Church of Rome. Real problem with that over here; also kinda a cheap writing shot since this biz of the Roman Church's pedophile priests is so much in the forefront of the news these days.

Yeah, I pretty much saw the priest thing coming from a mile away. That was really the only part of this season I didn't like. Not every Catholic priest needs to be a pedophile guys, come on[/spoilers]

14 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

Hide contents

Yeah, I pretty much saw the priest thing coming from a mile away. That was really the only part of this season I didn't like. Not every Catholic priest needs to be a pedophile guys, come on[/spoilers]

Exactly --

Spoiler

and particularly when the czarists were Greek Orthodox, and their priests aren't vowed to celibacy.

I am in no way about to defend the Church's protection of generations of its members who sexually abuse children (of both sexes).  But there are generations of good members of the Church too and that includes priests

But I did love that the Peaky Blinders have gotten caught up then, in these very local, and very personal issues, of labor rights and women's rights.  Real content, real stakes, things that matter on every level, including politically.  This is another path, along with the method of laundering their ill-got gains in the U.S., to become respectable, i.e. find redemption for their many crimes.  One feels that generational crime family sagas, including the Corleones, part of their arcs are the search for redemption, though usually they "get sucked back in."

We're through ep 4.... really digging this season....

....Every time Father Hughes is on camera I'm thinking "That's a good name for a band, Gary. You should write that down."

....Princess Petrovna is a special kind of batshit crazy.

.... Those Helen McCrory/ Alexander Siddig scenes are sooooo good.

psyched for the last two episodes.

Finale hasn't aired yet here, but want to chime in again and say that my only significant problem so far has been

Father Hughes. Lazy storytelling, IMO. Not only are he and that MP from the Economic League child molestors, but Michael was one of his victims as a child. Just seems a lazy way of painting him as villainous. Yes, there was a big scandal over sexual abuse in the church, but it seems lazy to rely on that everytime you want a priest as the villain.

I caught the first two episodes of season 3. Been great so far, but I do the miss the old Arthur. He, Tommy and Polly really make the series for me. I am really enjoying and intrigued by the Russian angle this season with the government using Tommy.This series needs more episodes per season.

21 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

....Princess Petrovna is a special kind of batshit crazy.

She isn't she's just Russian :P.

Also I love how they knew how to throw a decent party in the 1920s, and here was me thinking sex and cocaine was an 80s thing.

6 hours ago, Astromech said:

I caught the first two episodes of season 3. Been great so far, but I do the miss the old Arthur. He, Tommy and Polly really make the series for me. I am really enjoying and intrigued by the Russian angle this season with the government using Tommy.This series needs more episodes per season.

I don't know, I think that the change in Arthur made for a more interesting character. Obviously you only saw the first two episodes, but I would say that Arthur is one of the most interesting characters in this season.

Archived