Tyrion's witnesses at the Purple Wedding trial - Myrish looking glasses!

11 hours ago, Seams said:

snip

Very unlikely that Dontos was the server. He is wearing motley and is well-known at court by now. Even if Tyrion does not notice him, everyone else would be wondering what Dontos is doing serving food.

There are similar descriptive elements throughout the book where GRRM first says one person, say, "ran like the wind" and then another one does the same think books later. This is due to the sometimes limited number of similes available for any given situation, not that there is some subtextual connection between people and events. Remember, he's writing these books years apart from each other, so when we scour the text looking for hidden meaning, in reality it's just that he plumb forgot that he used the same phrase seven years earlier.

6 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

It's not.

Joffrey and Margaery joined hands to lift the greatsword and swung it down together in a silvery arc. When the piecrust broke, the doves burst forth in a swirl of white feathers, scattering in every direction, flapping for the windows and the rafters. A roar of delight went up from the benches, and the fiddlers and pipers in the gallery began to play a sprightly tune. Joff took his bride in his arms, and whirled her around merrily.

In the very next paragraph a serving man placed a slice of hot pigeon pie in front of Tyrion. Call me dense but to me it appears that the actual pigeon pie that the guests were going to eat was in the room waiting to be served after the newlyweds completed their pomp & circumstance.

A serving man placed a slice of hot pigeon pie in front of Tyrion and covered it with a spoon of lemon cream. The pigeons were well and truly cooked in this pie, but he found them no more appetizing than the white ones fluttering about the hall. Sansa was not eating either. "You're deathly pale, my lady," Tyrion said. "You need a breath of cool air, and I need a fresh doublet." He stood and offered her his hand. "Come."

I don’t have a dog in the race. It does appear that the pies and the servers were in the room waiting to serve pigeon pie.

Exactly. What idiot servant would be running around on the dais as the king and queen are cutting their wedding pie? They'd lose their heads.

The only way the pies could have been served so quickly is if they were already cut and plated and in the servants' hands during the cutting -- just the right height for a little old lady to slip in a poison crystal, and there is absolute no reason why anyone should be looking at Tyrion's pie. Virtually everyone, however, can see the chalice.

11 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I don’t have a dog in the race. It does appear that the pies and the servers were in the room waiting to serve pigeon pie.

Oh, I'm not denying that possibility, either. Or perhaps they were not. What I am denying is some kind of side table or servants bringing individual plates with individual portions from somewhere where they had been pre-cut because this has no basis in the text at all. 

That late in the feast, we had people standing and moving about, changing places, slipping off to the privy, servants were coming and going... the king and queen had just opened the wedding pie, every eye was on them or those thrice-damned doves. 

As Ser Balon tells us, the feast was pretty much a mess at this time, there were no orgnaized lines of servants bringing portions of the pies where one could count which one was meant for Tyrion, that's utterly absurd.

20 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

It's not.

Joffrey and Margaery joined hands to lift the greatsword and swung it down together in a silvery arc. When the piecrust broke, the doves burst forth in a swirl of white feathers, scattering in every direction, flapping for the windows and the rafters. A roar of delight went up from the benches, and the fiddlers and pipers in the gallery began to play a sprightly tune. Joff took his bride in his arms, and whirled her around merrily.

In the very next paragraph a serving man placed a slice of hot pigeon pie in front of Tyrion. Call me dense but to me it appears that the actual pigeon pie that the guests were going to eat was in the room waiting to be served after the newlyweds completed their pomp & circumstance.

A serving man placed a slice of hot pigeon pie in front of Tyrion and covered it with a spoon of lemon cream. The pigeons were well and truly cooked in this pie, but he found them no more appetizing than the white ones fluttering about the hall. Sansa was not eating either. "You're deathly pale, my lady," Tyrion said. "You need a breath of cool air, and I need a fresh doublet." He stood and offered her his hand. "Come."

Yep. Judging from how quickly the guests were served, it is very likely the pie had been already cut and plated and were in the servers' hands during the spectacle of the flying pigeons.

10 hours ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

Yep. Judging from how quickly the guests were served, it is very likely the pie had been already cut and plated and were in the servers' hands during the spectacle of the flying pigeons.

Too true, but when you are arguing a point with people who insist that up is down, left is right and the moon is made of cheese, alas to no avail. :crying:

18 hours ago, Ygrain said:

Oh, I'm not denying that possibility, either. Or perhaps they were not. What I am denying is some kind of side table or servants bringing individual plates with individual portions from somewhere where they had been pre-cut because this has no basis in the text at all. 

That late in the feast, we had people standing and moving about, changing places, slipping off to the privy, servants were coming and going... the king and queen had just opened the wedding pie, every eye was on them or those thrice-damned doves. 

As Ser Balon tells us, the feast was pretty much a mess at this time, there were no orgnaized lines of servants bringing portions of the pies where one could count which one was meant for Tyrion, that's utterly absurd.

After the king and queen had opened the pie, the servants were coming and going. During the cutting, all the servants, particularly those serving the high table, would be stock still because all the guests are watching this very important ceremonial function and they don't want lowly servants blocking their view. Note that during the entire cutting, not a single dish is served nor a single cup filled until: "a serving man placed a slice of hot pie in front of Tyrion."

Archived