Fortitude (Season 2) [Spoilers for S1]

AncalagonTheBlack

12 hours ago, red snow said:

Well they've clearly established the new villains with that unbalanced use of a centrifuge. Thankfully it didn't appear to be one that can achieve high g or i fear for the town more than i ever have before.

The scenery in this show is beautiful and jyst makes me want to revisit the Arctic. Minus killer wasps and enraged polar bears and humans of course

Yeah, they love a bit of bad science in this show. My key question though: if you want pluripotent stem cells, why not just take BM samples? (Hint: you can do this without killing someone) Because CSF (in a healthy person) doesn't really have any cells in it. 

Finished S3 last week.

Spoiler

I don't know what to make of it. Felt like the show never really knew where to go after an excellent S1.  I had my doubts that 4 episodes would be enough to tie up the clusterfuck that had spilled out from S2. For a show that often depended on suspension of disbelief, I still found it impossible to understand the actions of most of the characters, Dennis Quaid gets abducted, slung up ready to be butchered, escapes and then 5 minutes later he's devoted to the woman that did it?  just 1 of a dozen examples.

I did enjoy watching Richard Dormer chew the scenery with his full blown crazy.

Overall it wasn't really satisfying, in fact it wasn't really an ending.

I think re. Dennis Quaid*

He was feeling guilty about not helping his wife/being able to do more to help his wife when she was dying? Like a survivor guilt thing (even if there was literally nothing he could have done anyway). His daughter said this to him as well. So I guess he had a plan to give aid to the CSF-injecting woman (sorry, I've already forgotten her name) as a kind of atonement. And also to stop her killing off anyone else and to just accept her fate. I think he saw that as some kind of karmic balance.

But...what happened to (jesus my memory is awful) the previously blinded scientist in the end? Did she get locked up? Rehabilitated? Disappear? (lol that worked out so well for Dan after all)

*how many bloody times did we have to see him naked/semi-naked/sitting on the toilet?

Spoiler

No I understand they were drawing parallels between her and his late wife, giving him a redemption arc for running off the wife and trying to find a miraculous cure, with a hint of irony that there actually is a miraculous cure for this new woman but instead he chooses to comfort her in a hospice for the remainder of her days.  However I wasn't buying any of it, it just felt ridiculous how he hooked up with her in the first place, why didn't he immediately call the police when he escaped from the black guy? Why didn't he run a mile when approached for the second time by this predator woman that abducted him. Why did he stay loyal to her when he saw she had abducted yet another good person Natalie with the intention of killing her too, when at that point he'd known blonde lady all of about a day.

The didn't show what happened Natalie which felt really odd. I'm guessing she'd end up dead or in a lab for the rest of her life. Or turn into the next Dan assuming people don't realise the obvious or that she doesn't go to prison.

9 hours ago, Isis said:

Yeah, they love a bit of bad science in this show. My key question though: if you want pluripotent stem cells, why not just take BM samples? (Hint: you can do this without killing someone) Because CSF (in a healthy person) doesn't really have any cells in it. 

I didn't notice they were after stem cells! That's even worse - i was been told about a leukemia patient where it had spread into CSF and molecular testing was out the window as there aren't enough cells and that's when there's a cancer in there! 

Richard Dormer's beard and whiskers are exquisite - i guess that's where most if the attention to detail went :)

Archived