Songs that Make Us Think of A Song of Ice and Fire

Lost Melnibonean

For some reason a few lyrics from Blinded by the Light make me think of a battle between Dany and Stannis lol.

'Indians in the summer
With a teenage diplomat'

Dothraki with Dany as their leader.

'preacher from the East'

Melisandre

'But she was...
Blinded by the light'

Something to do with Lightbringer's light affecting Dany.

'The calliope crashed to the ground'

Makes me picture Dany's death falling off Drogon's back.

More from A Game of Thrones: The Disco Musical.

Opening Sequence with the Others in the Prologue (picture sequined bell-bottom armor and lots of dancing): Night Fever by the Bee Gees

Listen to the ground:
there is movement all around.
There is something goin' down
and I can feel it.

On the waves of the air,
there is dancin' out there.
If it's somethin' we can share,
we can steal it.

And that sweet city woman,
she moves through the light,
controlling my mind and my soul.
When you reach out for me
yeah, and the feelin' is bright,

then I get night fever, night fever.
We know how to do it.
Gimme that night fever, night fever.
We know how to show it.

Roose to Fat Walda: (She's a) Brick House by the Commodores

She's a brick house
She's mighty, mighty, just lettin' it all hang out
She's a brick house
I like a lady stacked and that's a fact
Ain't holding nothing back
She's a brick house

6 hours ago, Radish Knight said:

For some reason a few lyrics from Blinded by the Light make me think of a battle between Dany and Stannis lol.

'Indians in the summer
With a teenage diplomat'

Dothraki with Dany as their leader.

'preacher from the East'

Melisandre

'But she was...
Blinded by the light'

Something to do with Lightbringer's light affecting Dany.

'The calliope crashed to the ground'

Makes me picture Dany's death falling off Drogon's back.

Maybe Marwyn fits the preacher from the East better, since he studied in the east? 

• 3 weeks later...

Continuing on with A Game of Thrones: The Disco Musical, after the opener with the Others/Wymar & Co. to Night Fever by the Bee Gees (see above), we go into the character introduction/Winterfell opener.

Winterfell opener/Character Intro—We are Family by Sister Sledge.

The Starks are doing a happy family dance number in sequined armor & gowns. The Targs crash and Viserys starts grinding on Dany. Ned and Cat try to cover the eyes of the little ones. Jon is watching Viserys and Dany out of the corner of his eye. He glances at Sansa and Arya. Whatever Targs can do, Lannisters can do, so they crash too with Robert’s entourage. Jaime grinds on Cersei behind Robert’s back. Bran sees by accident and falls.

Bran’s fall & the 3EC:  Oops Upside Your Head by the Gap Band / Fly Robin Fly by the Silver Convention

Maester Luwin & the Maesters to Bran: Superstition by Stevie Wonder

This is a great, great, great performance by Stevie Wonder and no less, it's on Sesame Street.

When you believe in things that you don't understand,
Then you suffer,
Superstition ain't the way, yeh, yeh

On 4/27/2018 at 9:01 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Nobody? It's a shaggy dog story!

Nothing to do with AC/DC or the books, but when I think of a song or album named Jailbreak, it's Thin Lizzy. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRo3u04vY1E

On Topic, I have to say, I keep hearing The Wall by Pink Floyd on my car radio lately, which of course, makes me think of The Wall. 

1 hour ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Nothing to do with AC/DC or the books, but when I think of a song or album named Jailbreak, it's Thin Lizzy. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRo3u04vY1E

On Topic, I have to say, I keep hearing The Wall by Pink Floyd on my car radio lately, which of course, makes me think of The Wall. 

Pink Floyd's The Wall has more to do with Aerys's paranoia than Brandon the Builder's wall of ice, I think. 

If you dig hard rock, check out AC/DC's Jailbreak. It is so much better than Thin Lizzy's song of the same name, I think. Thin Lizzy's song was much more commercially acceptable when they were both released in 1976, and it was like one of just a couple of signature tunes by Thin Lizzy, so it has always received a lot more FM playing time than AC/DC's Jailbreak. The two bands have played together more than once. I wonder if they ever did their respective Jailbreak songs on the same stage...

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 6:19 PM, Eden-Mackenzie said:

Gary Jules's Mad World always makes me think of Theon.

Oh god, I just listened it that and I think that is the first time I've ever cried over something asoiaf related.

On 5/18/2018 at 3:16 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Pink Floyd's The Wall has more to do with Aerys's paranoia than Brandon the Builder's wall of ice, I think. 

If you dig hard rock, check out AC/DC's Jailbreak. It is so much better than Thin Lizzy's song of the same name, I think. Thin Lizzy's song was much more commercially acceptable when they were both released in 1976, and it was like one of just a couple of signature tunes by Thin Lizzy, so it has always received a lot more FM playing time than AC/DC's Jailbreak. The two bands have played together more than once. I wonder if they ever did their respective Jailbreak songs on the same stage...

I have a great affinity for Thin Lizzy, Jailbreak not being my fav song of theirs, it is just what comes to mind.  I love the stuff that is not heard on the radio and cannot begin to explain how hard it was to find some recordings in the old days, not to mention the problems divvying it up with an ex.  I do also have a bit of the same affinity for Bon Scott AC/DC.  With me, music usually reminds me of times in my life as well as people in my life, not necessarily literature.  Although, I loved the idea of the above mentioned Queen songs as well as Brick House for Fat Walda. 

6 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I have a great affinity for Thin Lizzy, Jailbreak not being my fav song of theirs, it is just what comes to mind.  I love the stuff that is not heard on the radio and cannot begin to explain how hard it was to find some recordings in the old days, not to mention the problems divvying it up with an ex.  I do also have a bit of the same affinity for Bon Scott AC/DC.  With me, music usually reminds me of times in my life as well as people in my life, not necessarily literature.  Although, I loved the idea of the above mentioned Queen songs as well as Brick House for Fat Walda. 

I can appreciate Brick House for Fat Walda, and I am smiling here in the dark imagining the Bolton's Northmen shakin' it down in the great hall at Winterfell, using a glass candle and a crystal of the Seven for some cool lighting effects, the Mance spinning the records, and his washer women dancing in glittery small clothes in crow cages, but I think The George was jamming to Whole Lotta Rosie when he conjured up Fat Walda. 42-39-56... You could say she got it all! (Ain't no fairy story/Ain't no skin and bones/But you give it all you got/Weighin' in at nineteen stone). 

Makes me think of Renly, Brienne, and the others fighting for Renly because of this scene 

"Why?" Lord Rowan asked her. "Look at them. They're young and strong, full of life and laughter. And lust, aye, more lust than they know what to do with. There will be many a bastard bred this night, I promise you. Why pity?"
"Because it will not last," Catelyn answered, sadly. "Because they are the knights of summer, and winter is coming."
"Lady Catelyn, you are wrong." Brienne regarded her with eyes as blue as her armor. "Winter will never come for the likes of us. Should we die in battle, they will surely sing of us, and it's always summer in the songs. In the songs all knights are gallant, all maids are beautiful, and the sun is always shining."
Winter comes for all of us, Catelyn thought. For me, it came when Ned died. It will come for you too, child, and sooner than you like. She did not have the heart to say it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 12:02 PM, Lollygag said:

Continuing on with A Game of Thrones: The Disco Musical, after the opener with the Others/Wymar & Co. to Night Fever by the Bee Gees (see above), we go into the character introduction/Winterfell opener.

Winterfell opener/Character Intro—We are Family by Sister Sledge.

The Starks are doing a happy family dance number in sequined armor & gowns. The Targs crash and Viserys starts grinding on Dany. Ned and Cat try to cover the eyes of the little ones. Jon is watching Viserys and Dany out of the corner of his eye. He glances at Sansa and Arya. Whatever Targs can do, Lannisters can do, so they crash too with Robert’s entourage. Jaime grinds on Cersei behind Robert’s back. Bran sees by accident and falls.

Bran’s fall & the 3EC:  Oops Upside Your Head by the Gap Band / Fly Robin Fly by the Silver Convention

Maester Luwin & the Maesters to Bran: Superstition by Stevie Wonder

This is a great, great, great performance by Stevie Wonder and no less, it's on Sesame Street.

When you believe in things that you don't understand,
Then you suffer,
Superstition ain't the way, yeh, yeh

Third installment of A Game of Thrones: The Disco Musical. If you're groaning, there's more to come :devil:.

Rhaegar: Play that Funky Music (White Boy) by Wild Cherry (he plays the harp very funkily of course)

Yeah, once I was a boogie singer
playin' in a rock & roll band
I never had no problems, yeah
burnin' down the one night stands
And everything around me, yeah
got to start to feelin' so low
And I decided quickly (yes, I did)
to disco down and check out the show

Yeah, they were dancin' and singin' and movin' to the groovin'
And just when it hit me somebody turned around and shouted

Play that funky music white boy
Play that funky music right
Play that funky music white boy
Lay down that boogie and play that funky music till you die

(Hey, wait a minute) Now first it wasn't easy
changin' rock & roll and minds
And things were getting shaky
I thought I'd have to leave it behind
Oh, but now its so much better (It's so much better)
I'm funkin out in ev-er-y way
But I'll never lose that feelin' (No I won't)
Of how I learned my lesson that day

LF Intro at the Brothel with Ned & Cat: Lady Marmalade by Patti LaBelle

The lyrics aren't a great fit, but LF doing Lady Marmalade cracks me up. The chorus stands by itself anyhow.

Ned & Cat parting in KL: How Deep is Your Love by the Bee Gees

I know your eyes in the morning sun
I feel you touch me in the pouring rain
And the moment that you wander far from me
I wanna feel you in my arms again

And you come to me on a summer breeze
Keep me warm in your love, then you softly leave
And it's me you need to show
How deep is your love

How deep is your love, how deep is your love
I really mean to learn
Cause we're living in a world of fools
Breaking us down when they all should let us be
We belong to you and me

I believe in you
You know the door to my very soul
You're the light in my deepest, darkest hour
You're my savior when I fall

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do
And it's me you need to show
How deep is your love
How deep is your love, how deep is your love

Another song that reminds me of the viewpoint character (Bran, Jon, Mel, Davos) plot lines in both ASOS and ADWD is Sabbath Bloody Sabbath by Black Sabbath. "Nobody will ever let you know, when you ask the reasons why. They just tell you that you're on your own. Fill your head all full of lies"-Jon. 

"The people who have crippled you; you want to see them burn"-Bran.

• 2 weeks later...

Fourth Installment of A Game of Thrones: The Disco Musical

1st Installment: https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/138698-songs-that-make-us-think-of-a-song-of-ice-and-fire/&do=findComment&comment=8168467

2nd Installment: https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/138698-songs-that-make-us-think-of-a-song-of-ice-and-fire/&do=findComment&comment=8178539

3rd Installment: https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/138698-songs-that-make-us-think-of-a-song-of-ice-and-fire/&do=findComment&comment=8186381

Tyrion’s capture, surviving the Vale and surviving Tywin’s attempt to kill him in battle: Stayin’ Alive by the Bee Gees

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk
I'm a woman's man, no time to talk
Music loud and women warm
I've been kicked around since I was born
But now it's all right, that's okay
You may look the other way
We can try to understand
The New York Times' effect on man
Whether you're a brother or whether you're a mother
You're stayin' alive, stayin' alive

Life goin' nowhere, somebody help me
Somebody help me, yeah
Life goin' nowhere, somebody help me, yeah
I'm stayin' alive

Tourney of the Hand (ASOIAF uses dance as a euphemism for combat and war which makes it perfect for Disco! With that in mind, a tourney is all about shaking one’s groove thing. I wonder what the Hound’s groove thing looks like?)—Shake Your Groove Thing by Peaches and Herb

Shake it, shake it

Shake your groove thing, shake your groove thing, yeah, yeah
Show'em how we do it now
Show'em how we do it now, show'em how we do it now

Let's show the world we can dance
Bad enough to strut our stuff
The music gives us a chance
We do more out on the floor

Groovin' loose or heart-to-heart
We put in motion every single part
Funky sounds wall to wall
We're bumpin' booties, havin' us a ball, y'all

Show'em how we do it now
Show'em how we do it now
We got the rhythm tonight
All the rest know we're the best
Our shadows crash in the light
Twistin', turnin', we keep burnin'

Ned on the Great Sept at the moment he’s realized everything has gone very wrong—Winner Takes it All by Abba (Sean Bean could kill this :bawl:  )

I don't wanna talk
About things we've gone through
Though it's hurting me
Now it's history

I've played all my cards
And that's what you've done too
Nothing more to say
No more ace to play

The winner takes it all
The loser's standing small
Beside the victory
That's her destiny

The gods may throw a dice
Their minds as cold as ice
And someone way down here
Loses someone dear

The winner takes it all (Takes it all)
The loser has to fall (Has to fall)
It's simple and it's plain (It's so plain)
Why should I complain (Why complain)

The judges will decide (Will decide)
The likes of me abide (Me abide)
Spectators of the show (Of the show)
Always staying low (Staying low)

Dany hatching the dragons. Disco Inferno by The Trammps

Burn baby burn, burn that mother down
Burn baby burn, disco inferno
Burn baby burn, burn that mother down
Burnin'
Satisfaction
Came in the chain reaction
(Burnin')

I couldn't get enough
Till I had to self-destruct
The heat was on
(Burnin')
Rising to the top

Everybody's goin' strong
And that is when my spark got hot

4 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

Tyrion’s capture, surviving the Vale and surviving Tywin’s attempt to kill him in battle: Stayin’ Alive by the Bee Gees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk
I'm a woman's man, no time to talk
Music loud and women warm
I've been kicked around since I was born
But now it's all right, that's okay
You may look the other way
We can try to understand
The New York Times' effect on man
Whether you're a brother or whether you're a mother
You're stayin' alive, stayin' alive

Life goin' nowhere, somebody help me