'Britannia': upcoming 'sword-and-sandal' historical epic tv show

AncalagonTheBlack

Can't watch the video, but is there any idea on when this releases?

I've seen mentions of 2018 but it seems early to advertise a trailer with a coming soon announcement for a show that doesn't even release this year. IMDB has an October date but seems vague.

4 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Oh My God, the comments on this video...

I know, I know, I should never read youtube comments, but this takes the cake...

It never occurred to me while watching the trailer (I was watching via the thumbnail so didn't have comments available) why the comments would be particularly awful. Having now read them, I think I need to go adopt a puppy or something to restore some balance to the world. Seriously, how gross.

Anyway, I was actually surprised how it looked, in a nice way. I thought it would look much lower budget* than it seems to from the trailer. Clearly Sky Atlantic are aiming for their Thrones audience with this one. They'd have been well advised to drop this during the finale imo. But ah well, I'm cautiously optimistic I guess?

12 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Clearly Sky Atlantic are aiming for their Thrones audience with this one.

I don't know how similar the show will be, but I think whoever made the trailer was definitely told to make it look as Game of Thrones-y as possible.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

New trailer.Airs January 18th on Sky.

I really didn't like the tone of that trailer at all. Felt like they were going for a Hot Fuzz take on "Rome". Throw in the choice of music and I've gone from looking forward to it to writing it off as a BskyB production.

On 4/12/2016 at 7:25 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Not a lot of details yet but it's been confirmed:

Boy . been a lot of historical film about Rome and Britain , going back to an old Hammer movie The Viking Queen 1967 .also ..Boudica (2003; Warrior Queen in the US)... The Warrior Queen 1978..(different film)

Roman Britain , The Eagle, The Last Legion ....

Fixation on Rome in Britain 

I guess no one will ever make a film about Trajan and Hadrian ... tho Hadrian's wall has been in a movie/

35 minutes ago, red snow said:

I really didn't like the tone of that trailer at all. Felt like they were going for a Hot Fuzz take on "Rome". Throw in the choice of music and I've gone from looking forward to it to writing it off as a BskyB production.

Me neither. Was hoping for a more Last Kingdom kinda vibe. 

Video -- not available They Say.

At least from here.

So I looked it up elsewhere.

This is -- awful.  The fracking hurdy gurdy man???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just how frackin' cheap are they about music?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They all must die now.

Along with that stupid Templars bs which is all about Dan Brown, not history.  Gad the endless Turkish television series Ertegrul is immensely more accurate about the Templars than that bs in the trailers -- though Ertegrul has its own religious and historical biases, but at least the forts, the weapons, etc. and a lot of the history -- and legend -- rolls better.  Especially the horses!

20 hours ago, boojam said:

Boy . been a lot of historical film about Rome and Britain , going back to an old Hammer movie The Viking Queen 1967 .also ..Boudica (2003; Warrior Queen in the US)... The Warrior Queen 1978..(different film)

Roman Britain , The Eagle, The Last Legion ....

Fixation on Rome in Britain 

I guess no one will ever make a film about Trajan and Hadrian ... tho Hadrian's wall has been in a movie/

Maybe the lack of knowledge of what happened out on the extreme frontier appeals to writers/directors or it's a severe case of anglocentrism.

I'm continually peeved by the tunnel vision of films concerning ancient rome. It's pretty much Caesar (and his line), Spartacus and weird British Rome. There are so many aspects of Roman history that would easily make a great show/film. Hannibal and Augustus. The lifelong rivalry bewtween Sulla and Gaius Marius. Trajan and Hadrian. Diocletian, Constantine. And two of my favourites - Aurelian and Julian.  They could create a "cinematic universe" just based on the history of Rome. Ok - not many chances for crossovers but could easily have separate films/shows following different eras. I guess you could have an avengers style film with lead in films about Caesar, Pompei and Crassus culminating in "the triumverate" but again it's covering tried and tested parts of roman history :P

3 hours ago, red snow said:

Maybe the lack of knowledge of what happened out on the extreme frontier appeals to writers/directors or it's a severe case of anglocentrism.

I'm continually peeved by the tunnel vision of films concerning ancient rome. It's pretty much Caesar (and his line), Spartacus and weird British Rome. There are so many aspects of Roman history that would easily make a great show/film. Hannibal and Augustus. The lifelong rivalry bewtween Sulla and Gaius Marius. Trajan and Hadrian. Diocletian, Constantine. And two of my favourites - Aurelian and Julian.  They could create a "cinematic universe" just based on the history of Rome. Ok - not many chances for crossovers but could easily have separate films/shows following different eras. I guess you could have an avengers style film with lead in films about Caesar, Pompei and Crassus culminating in "the triumverate" but again it's covering tried and tested parts of roman history :P

If one got their Roman Empire history from the movies 1950 - 1960 one would think Rome fell in about 60 CE, or when Nero died! I watched all those films. It was noticeable that the first film I ever saw about Rome that did not mention Christians  was Spartacus in 1960! Since that time there have been , it's not a lot, movies about ancient Rome that had nothing biblical about them. Actually HBO'S ROME is probably the best visual narrative I have ever seen about ancient Rome. Rome was a really full blown and on top until 300 CE , actually some time after that too, and it was really strong 70- - 200 CE. I don't think there is a visual drama about Hadrian or Trajan.

56 minutes ago, boojam said:

If one got their Roman Empire history from the movies 1950 - 1960 one would think Rome fell in about 60 CE, or when Nero died! I watched all those films. It was noticeable that the first film I ever say about Rome that did not mention Christians  was Spartacus in 1960! Since that time there have been , it's not a lot, movies about ancient Rome that had nothing biblical about them. Actually HBO'S ROME is probably the best visual narrative I have ever seen about ancient Rome. Rome was a really full blown and on top until 300 CE , actually some time after that too, and it was really strong 70- - 200 CE. I don't think there is a visual drama about Hadrian or Trajan.

I guess part of the problem with Hadrian was he reigned during a time of relative peace. Largely thanks to Trajan kicking ass everywhere. But I'm sure a fascinating drama could be made about Hadrian touring the empire still. And he still seemed to be quite the politician with his controversial "adoption" by Trajan to his complicated choice of heir.

Hadn't heard of this show until now. My goodness, these trailers feel like they're trying to put lipstick on a pig. Some serious bad vibes. There's a couple of nice shots, but it looks pretty camp.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I guess part of the problem with Hadrian was he reigned during a time of relative peace. Largely thanks to Trajan kicking ass everywhere. But I'm sure a fascinating drama could be made about Hadrian touring the empire still. And he still seemed to be quite the politician with his controversial "adoption" by Trajan to his complicated choice of heir.

There are not many historical novels that use the period of Hadrian and Trajan , the author Steven Saylor has a whole series about Rome from about 70 BCE to about 125 CE . I have not read his recent stuff so no sure how much he has covered now. The novels are only middling good.

Colleen McCullough has a series 'Masters or Rome' that covers 110 BCE to 28 BCE , this series is mostly Julius Caesar it is good.

There is justified fascination with Caesar , the Roman civil wars and the reigns from Tiberius to Nero , and for some reason the events around Marcus Aurelius "Fall of the Roman Empire" and "Gladiator" , but little interest in the rest of Roman Empire history.... except Rome in Britain. 

HBO still owns the option on I Claudius , but I don't know what will happen to that.

I'd really enjoy a series, whether books or television, that focused on the Roman settlement of the Iberian Peninsula, and how the great families of Iberia and Gaul get established, and how they changed, evolved, to be part of the great Goth invasions and assimilations (which is one of the ways the Roman empire / culture / language continued, especially as the Church was a driving force in this , with literacy and modeling its hierarchy after the Roman empire's.

Archived