[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Reprecussions - Season 6, Tally-Ho

Ran

22 minutes ago, Gustavo Fringed Sleeves said:

Theon: a lot has been said about his sudden escape from shellshock. But going so far as to being capable of riding with one single horse from the outskirts of Winterhell to whatever port of his choice (any of which must have good reason to not want anything to do with an ironborn) and then sail to Pyke? With what coin? What, are you going to be a stealing eunuch, like Varys?

An adaption of Theon's arc in A Dance with Dragons—if adapted well with smart moves (like turning some of his internal thoughts into dialogue—albeit I think character voice overs could work), phenomenal directing and acting, excellent music, and beautiful cinematography—could have been one of the most highly praised and beautiful things to have ever grace television.

Edit: same with the Tower of Joy. It needs to be art and iconic, not awkward, dull, and laughable with generic action. I think there's only six Northmen too... they wouldn't even get the numbers right!

Wasnt that good, but IMO better than last week - different writer of the episode (not d/d), hoping that will be a trend. I didnt mind the directing as much either.

Tyrion with yet another "varys has no cock" joke - not sure why they think thats clever or necessary at this point, but thats GoT writing i guess. If you talk to dragons, they wont eat you - cool. Also, unchain them because - reasons. Also, tyrion to varys "if i ever try something like that again, punch me in the face."

*sigh*

Anyone know what the point of that sparrow v larry scene was? Did we learn anything there? Anybody? 

Ramsey kills roose in the same way roose killed robb - is that supposed to be ironic, or just "redemption" for all those young wolf fans? Either way they are not even being creative with these murders anymore, or with this constant deus-ex-machina timing bullshit - show making a mockery of itself and its world. 

Also they feel the need to show a scene like ramsey/fat walda when they couldve easily made it one of those orders that get carried out off screen, like they did with myranda just last week - what they choose to omit vs. dedicate screen time to perplexes. I mean i get shock value & all, but i couldve gone w/o all the imagery of newborns and hungry dogs, as im sure most couldve.

at this point i have to assume davos is oblivious to the fact that melisandre had shireen roasted - otherwise his demeanor towards her makes no fucking sense. Also, why would he be lobbying so hard for mel to "try something" on jon? Contextually, why have that kind of agenda for jon, whos practically a stranger?

still had its positives, i was more or less engaged watching, not having to roll my eyes every single scene - The dialogue was actually bearable at times. this episode actually gives me a semblance of hope that, if it itself is any indication, there will be a lot that atleast resembles the first couple of seasons. Might even manage to be enjoyable - at times.

still, not to get carries away, they have a long way to go.

any significance to old nan protecting hodor in the flashback? I cant recall if theres any similar suggestion book-wise - might not be significant

1 hour ago, Darknightz said:

Wasnt that good, but IMO better than last week - different writer of the episode (not d/d), hoping that will be a trend. I didnt mind the directing as much either.

Tyrion with yet another "varys has no cock" joke - not sure why they think thats clever or necessary at this point, but thats GoT writing i guess. If you talk to dragons, they wont eat you - cool. Also, unchain them because - reasons. Also, tyrion to varys "if i ever try something like that again, punch me in the face."

*sigh*

Anyone know what the point of that sparrow v larry scene was? Did we learn anything there? Anybody? 

Ramsey kills roose in the same way roose killed robb - is that supposed to be ironic, or just "redemption" for all those young wolf fans? Either way they are not even being creative with these murders anymore, or with this constant deus-ex-machina timing bullshit - show making a mockery of itself and its world. 

Also they feel the need to show a scene like ramsey/fat walda when they couldve easily made it one of those orders that get carried out off screen, like they did with myranda just last week - what they choose to omit vs. dedicate screen time to perplexes. I mean i get shock value & all, but i couldve gone w/o all the imagery of newborns and hungry dogs, as im sure most couldve.

at this point i have to assume davos is oblivious to the fact that melisandre had shireen roasted - otherwise his demeanor towards her makes no fucking sense. Also, why would he be lobbying so hard for mel to "try something" on jon? Contextually, why have that kind of agenda for jon, whos practically a stranger?

still had its positives, i was more or less engaged watching, not having to roll my eyes every single scene - The dialogue was actually bearable at times. this episode actually gives me a semblance of hope that, if it itself is any indication, there will be a lot that atleast resembles the first couple of seasons. Might even manage to be enjoyable - at times.

still, not to get carries away, they have a long way to go.

any significance to old nan protecting hodor in the flashback? I cant recall if theres any similar suggestion book-wise - might not be significant

Man...I fucking agree on everything, and even the IB scene was a little silly, that Euron just is not so dark as he should be.

20 hours ago, Ser Quork said:

^sorry I can't seem to be able to inspect this.

I watched this episode expecting to rant but it turned out to be hilarious instead! 

• In a SHOCKING twist Roose, the kind of the trolls, is dead. Long live the new king!
  • I'm glad Theon has finally found a new purpose in life - to become the best long-distance horseback swimmer in Westeros. Keep doing you, Theon!
  • I suppose Davos finally had the time to read the guidebook and realised that Neromany is a standard level 70 Red Priest spell.
  • Only death can pay for life - and Jon's curls are practically a sentient being, amirite?
  • I can't wait for Jon to burst out of the room in the next episode, all like Motherfuckers where's my clothes?

I literally can't even.

5 hours ago, SerMixalot said:

I just want to point out that an episode where a baby gets eaten by dogs is just shrugged off.

A baby eaten by dogs.

That is what happens when everything is SHOCKING.  nothing is interesting.

Remember a newborn baby, hours old was eaten by dogs in tonight's episode.  Barely seems to register

Don't forget we're meant to be feeling sorry for Ramsey too in this season. 

Just now, ncg87 said:

Don't forget we're meant to be feeling sorry for Ramsey too in this season. 

I was kinda hoping he would introduce one of the dogs as Myranda but alas it was not meant to be.

Time review for episode 2: http://time.com/4313745/game-of-thrones-jon-snow-dead-alive/?xid=time_socialflow_facebook

:lmao: that review is harsher than last week's time review (and it wasn't a positive review either). Seems we can welcome Time in the R&R circle

But the way she did it was yet another instance of an issue that haunted the entire episode—the utter lack of narrative tension throughout.

[snip]

But the actual scene of Melisandre casting a spell over Snow’s lifeless body combined lugubriousness with a foregone conclusion: Not a pleasant combination. Anyone who couldn’t have foreseen that Snow would open his eyes after the red herring of everyone sadly leaving the room, thinking Melisandre failed, ought to have their cable subscription mercy-cancelled.

Even before Snow’s revival, the show was suffused with a sense of flatness: There would be a sort of throat-clearing that a big event was going to happen, and then, five minutes of puttering later, it happened. Take one of the show’s most merciless acts of violence yet. Ramsay Bolton, troubled by his sinking stock within the Bolton family after his stepmother Walda Frey gave birth to a son, lured the innocent Walda into his kennels and turned his dogs loose on her—and her newborn.

[snip]

Because we know Ramsay is both malicious and unstable—his systematic torture of Theon isn’t even that recent—we learned little new about his character by his killing Walda in so brutal a manner. And knowing what we’ve long known about him, no viewer could have doubted Walda’s fate throughout the painfully long sequence preceding her death. The only surprise was quite how credulous Walda was able to behave in the moments leading to her death.

Or take Tyrion’s decision to set free Daenerys’s dragons. He decided to do it, and then very methodically did it, all the while conducting a weird, airless monologue seemingly designed to reverse-engineer catchphrases, regardless of sense. (“That’s what I do, I drink and I know things,” which I hardly am paying a compliment by saying it sounds like a Chuck Bass-ism on Gossip Girl, may have been the most eye-roll-worthy line of dialogue this show’s ever had.) We knew what was going to happen, and ended up there without any complication or intensification of emotion, just more and more patter.

[snip]

Would it have been nice if the show had figured out a way to create genuine intrigue around the fate of Snow? Given both the audience belief that Snow’s return was inevitable and the show’s own seeming inability to make its long plot-moving scenes exciting, that’s asking a lot. But there was, at least, something mesmerizing in watching Melisandre do her work. I am of the belief that Melisandre, as a character, is made up of smoke and mirrors; I don’t think a figure whose every trait can be explained by “Don’t worry about it, it’s magic!” has a lot to offer. But if she was going to perform an incantation we all knew would succeed, she may as well have done it early in the season to get the plot moving, and she may as well have delivered it with real, compellingly enigmatic feeling.

10 minutes ago, Maid So Fair said:

I was kinda hoping he would introduce one of the dogs as Myranda but alas it was not meant to be.

Lol he did a sort of toned down, quiet, regretful thing 4 some reason - personally i think it was a miscalculation performance-wise

12 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Time review for episode 2: http://time.com/4313745/game-of-thrones-jon-snow-dead-alive/?xid=time_socialflow_facebook

:lmao: that review is harsher than last week's time review (and it wasn't a positive review either). Seems we can welcome Time in the R&R circle

Really sharp, 100% spot on. Im surprised critics have reached this point so quickly - almost overnight   - it will be interesting to see if it persists throughout the season or if they will end up worshiping it again once something really shocking happens

Hitfix wasn't a fan of the Jon-revival either: http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-game-of-thrones-does-the-inevitable-inevitably-in-home

The reviewer wasn't fond of Wamsay killing Roose and Walda, too predictable and teaches nothing new about Wamsay, and they could have cut the scene at Wamsay releasing the dogs, without the eating sounds. Other than that tthough the reviewer is in luck - he's a St Tryion and poor-misunderstood-mother Carol fan.

Show manages to piss off most fans of factions and characters, but if you're a fan of Bran, St Tyrion, Carol, Holy Wamsay and Batfinger it seems you're safe for at least a few episodes more.

12 minutes ago, Darknightz said:

Really sharp, 100% spot on. Im surprised critics have reached this point so quickly - almost overnight   - it will be interesting to see if it persists throughout the season or if they will end up worshiping it again once something really shocking happens

Well, there's always the Rolling Stone critic who was raving over everything. You still have those too.

NY Times scored the episode favorable and has snarks towards critics (does he read the R&R thead?), but it's not a "OMG raving review" citing the same issues, except of course fawning over St Tryion. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/arts/television/game-of-thrones-jon-snow-review.html?_r=0

I really cannot see what they are doing with Theon. At one moment he is more paranoid than another? 

Nevertheless he was good in the beginning. He was paranoid, scared, ... His talk with Sansa was good and emotional. They mentioned Bran and Rickon, Ser Rodrik, the farmboys, Robb (his voice even broke. :crying:)! Alfie Allen was really amazing ... 

And then Theon mentions he is going "home" - I am not really sure why he calls the Iron Islands home? And he is going doing this alone on a horse? Why are they letting a very scared, tortured man traveling all alone to Iron Island? Why? How is that safer than going to the Wall with Sansa with some people to defend him? 

Except for plot of course. 

The ex machina is strong in GOT, last weeks Brie-Sans rescue, then this weeks wildling-Jon body rescue, but I have to admit it was visually pretty sweet seeing WunWun smash NW Brother #4 against a wall. I think it was my highlight of the ep. Just wish instead of #4 it was Olly.... 

Vox review: gives a positive rating, but also critical of the murder of Walda as pure shock for shock and how it doesn't add to Wamsay's characterization. Lackluster about St Tyrion's dragonwhispering. Lackluster about Theon returning "home" with a horse from the middle of nowhere and expecting him to get there fast without a hitch.

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/1/11554428/game-of-thrones-episode-2-recap-home-dogs-ramsay-jon-snow

12 minutes ago, TheNorth said:

The ex machina is strong in GOT, last weeks Brie-Sans rescue, then this weeks wildling-Jon body rescue, but I have to admit it was visually pretty sweet seeing WunWun smash NW Brother #4 against a wall. I think it was my highlight of the ep. Just wish instead of #4 it was Olly.... 

Hahah no doubt best part 

Unfortunately it is not true enough to its own world to be anywhere remotely close to the books level - once you accept that its easier to digest - it can be bearable and eye candy & atleast remind you of a good show at times, but its still pretty bad by its own standards alone - putting it to book standards at all at this point is useless bc it has pretty much shown unequivocally it is not capable of that level of work

11 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Vox review: gives a positive rating, but also critical of the murder of Walda as pure shock for shock and how it doesn't add to Wamsay's characterization. Lackluster about St Tyrion's dragonwhispering. Lackluster about Theon returning "home" with a horse from the middle of nowhere and expecting him to get there fast without a hitch.

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/1/11554428/game-of-thrones-episode-2-recap-home-dogs-ramsay-jon-snow

Theres nothing but truth in the good & bad things mentioned in all the reviews youve listed - its surprising bc iirc last season was lauded by critics, but imo the last two seasons have been this bad if not a lot worse - crazy how the spell is finally wearing off, but if the quality isnt there people will notice - again i say its funny how dumb d&d really think ppl are to just gobble up whatever shocks are thrown at them when the artistic value isnt present - "themes are for 8th grade book reports" haha i really think they actually believe that

I'm still struggling with the whole Mountain assassinating naysayers thing.

So Carol knows what people in random taverns are saying about her and sends an 8 foot tall zombie to quietly yet brutally assassinate them when they are alone? The logistics of that alone are mind boggling.

How does she know?

How does she know who it is? Extension of that being how does he know? It's not like he can go ask around or that she will go to the tavern with him and inconspicuously just wait for someone to start mouthing off. Is she giving him drawings?

Why does she care?

Why do I care?

Why does anyone care about anything?

Where do whores go?

Was that another fake cock I saw a silhouette off or have I gotten to the point of randomly imagining them during the show in an attempt to shock myself into not falling asleep? I really hope it's not the latter.

Lovely start, with the cock bragging stranger and all... Jamie has a tiny one, hahaha!  Ah, I see an Emmy right there.  Then SMASH, Frankendude strikes again! Yawn. When they stop with the BANG BOOM BANG action for action's sake, the shallowness, lameness really shows.

Good grief, dragons! You were hungry, and you had ONE job! But did you devour that nice little appetizer right in front of you? NO! I'm so sick and tired of his bad, pseudo philosophical/ pseudo witty dialogue and cock jokes, I'd kill him myself. Pacifism and all. Yes, Cesar  Millan: It's all about energy (and outdated wolf pack theories). My guess is that with the constant mentioning of certain other people's missing primary sexual organs, Missandei will develop an unsatiable yearning for Tyrion's disproportionately huge member. Barf.

Anyways...

So basically KL has been in the hands of the religious nutcases for what, months? And nobody really cares... And while the Lannisters are apparently too weak to do anything, Roose fears they will be strong enough to conquer the North? And the crafty Tyrells, who organized the murder of a king to save Marge from marrying him, who once threatened to starve KL if they did not get their way, do nothing whatsoever to save Marge and their heir from prison...

Jon's friends defending his dead body with their lives ... why exactly? I mean, how did they know resurrection was a possibility, how did Davos know and how does he know jon will be important? Nevermind. A hunch, I guess.

"It was a difficult choice mylady". Indeed: Go with the stranger who swears to protect you or with the flayers/ rapists/ pimps you know, and bear the former's children to continue the line who murdered your family? Decisions, decisions...

I thought Alfie Allen was very good. This show usually doesn't make me feel anything anymore, except for the notion that humanity has to be wiped off the planet, but I actually felt something when he said, "Home".

Those cave dudes sure have good barbers. I actually liked the Bran/ flashback scenes best, although I'm not a bookreader and no idea what it is supposed to mean. But the WF scene briefly felt like season 1 GOT again...

So, they did the absurd slapstick thing (6.01), the bore-them-out-of-their-skulls thing (6.02), what's next, a musical?

Archived