[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Reprecussions - Season 6, Tally-Ho

Ran

1 hour ago, Lord Asher Forrester said:

Man...I fucking agree on everything, and even the IB scene was a little silly, that Euron just is not so dark as he should be.

No doubt haha seemed like he was doing his best alfie allen impression.

Speaking of which, i dont believe theon ever said he meant the iron islands when he said "home", they just cut to the scene at pyke right after he said it - is it possible he means WF?

Gotta love the Karstark:

Season 3 Karstarks: I'm your third cousin twice removed and if you kill me you will be cursed forever as a kinslayer!

Season 6 Karstark: Oh, you killed you father? Cool! *brofist*

36 minutes ago, Darknightz said:

Unfortunately it is not true enough to its own world to be anywhere remotely close to the books level - once you accept that its easier to digest - it can be bearable and eye candy & atleast remind you of a good show at times, but its still pretty bad by its own standards alone - putting it to book standards at all at this point is useless bc it has pretty much shown unequivocally it is not capable of that level of work

That's why the renaming of characters helps...Helps as a reminder I'm watching something compeltely different, with different characters. I felt this episode was far superior than the previous one... I quadrupled my rating :lmao: from 1 to 4. This was one of the best episodes from 5.01 to 6.01. They at least tried to put stuff in there to pre-explain some events, like Tyrion mentioning that dragons are believed to be as intelligent or more intelligent than humans. They had Brienne mention her meeting Arya. There's logic in Theon wanting to avoid going to CB. The Kastark was obviously fan of Wamsay and there were no dumb guards playing at being statues. There's logic in Tommen wanting to be stronger so he can protect his family and wife.

So they tried to insert some logic into the most illogic acts. It's basically masking the illogic: dragonwhispering, Theon going home on a horse from the middle of nowhere all by himself, Brienne retconning her fight with the Hound and losing Arya,  forgetting that even if the guards are not present in the hall where Wamsay kills Woose, there still are hundreds of them outside that room, and one does not need to be a trained doctor to look at Woose's body and conclude, "Hmmm, he didn't die of poisoning."

And for a show that tries to pretend they do grey characters... The marvelous St Tyrion shtick is becoming just utterly plain boring. And Varys is as boringly flat as can be, and reduced to Tyrion's ass-kisser and petty cock-jokes. I want Varys to kill Tyrion already. It's reached utter 1 dimensional level that even both actors look dull and bored out of their skulls.

Basically D&D have lowered the quality of the show and characterization so much during S5 that an episode like yesterday's can give you a glimmer of "how it used to be" and suddenly it's the "best ever". It's the same trick they do with the characters - dumb everybody else down to moron to make another character look like a genius in comparison. But set this episode against any S1-S3 episodes and it doesn't even make the grade.

In the land of the blind, one-eye is king.

5 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

That's why the renaming of characters helps...Helps as a reminder I'm watching something compeltely different, with different characters. I felt this episode was far superior than the previous one... I quadrupled my rating :lmao: from 1 to 4. This was one of the best episodes from 5.01 to 6.01. They at least tried to put stuff in there to pre-explain some events, like Tyrion mentioning that dragons are believed to be as intelligent or more intelligent than humans. They had Brienne mention her meeting Arya. There's logic in Theon wanting to avoid going to CB. The Kastark was obviously fan of Wamsay and there were no dumb guards playing at being statues. There's logic in Tommen wanting to be stronger so he can protect his family and wife.

So they tried to insert some logic into the most illogic acts. It's basically masking the illogic: dragonwhispering, Theon going home on a horse from the middle of nowhere all by himself, Brienne retconning her fight with the Hound and losing Arya,  forgetting that even if the guards are not present in the hall where Wamsay kills Woose, there still are hundreds of them outside that room, and one does not need to be a trained doctor to look at Woose's body and conclude, "Hmmm, he didn't die of poisoning."

And for a show that tries to pretend they do grey characters... The marvelous St Tyrion shtick is becoming just utterly plain boring. And Varys is as boringly flat as can be, and reduced to Tyrion's ass-kisser and petty cock-jokes. I want Varys to kill Tyrion already. It's reached utter 1 dimensional level that even both actors look dull and bored out of their skulls.

Basically D&D have lowered the quality of the show and characterization so much during S5 that an episode like yesterday's can give you a glimmer of "how it used to be" and suddenly it's the "best ever". It's the same trick they do with the characters - dumb everybody else down to moron to make another character look like a genius in comparison. But set this episode against any S1-S3 episodes and it doesn't even make the grade.

Truly & sincerely, couldnt agree more with every word. Thoughts after my own heart.

I have a theory as to why I have been disappointed with the first two episodes. Their is no rich book detail to fill in the details, so it all feels very flat and leaves me feeling deflated from very high expectations. I was so excited when Wun Wun started banging on the gates and then ....... lets all drop our swords and save some time and effort for what could of been a great set piece. Pah!

20 minutes ago, Darknightz said:

Truly & sincerely, couldnt agree more with every word. Thoughts after my own heart.

And certainly do not attempt to think about it too much, let alone compare the within-scene logic to portrayal and logic in previous seasons.

@Maid So Fair you are absolutely correct to call BS on the Karstark following Wamsay for being a father-killer, while every Karstark from first to last abandoned their self-appointed king because that king lawfully executed a traitor who's a cousin more in name than blood really of generations ago in the Old Way.

Let's play Bamboozled

2 minutes ago, the tower of albion said:

I have a theory as to why I have been disappointed with the first two episodes. Their is no rich book detail to fill in the details, so it all feels very flat and leaves me feeling deflated from very high expectations. I was so excited when Wun Wun started banging on the gates and then ....... lets all drop our swords and save some time and effort for what could of been a great set piece. Pah!

Same here. It was incredibly underwhelming and boring. And the same goes for the whole episode, no exceptions. Underwhelming and boring: Brienne and Sansa and Theon, Roose and Ramsay, KL, Meereen, Braavos, everything. And that's before you even start to look more closely, because then you see all the stoopid that you didn't notice at first because you were feeling so underwhelmed and bored. The way Brienne talked about Arya to Sansa, "she didn't want to leave him, he didn't want to leave her, [so I went into SMASH mode and tried to kill this person, and then I just turned around and left even though this man was 'dead-ish' and your sister was 20 feet away but I couldn't be bothered to look for her]". And Boss. Ass. Bitch doesn't ask Brienne anything. Dumb as fuck. Walda and her newborn walking around the yard in the snow, a few minutes after said newborn's birth. Dumb as fuck. All those guys guarding a corpse because the plot demands, and all the NW loyal to Thorne immediately give up upon seeing random guy get the ser Patrek treatment b/c let's not waste time to actually develop some type of tension or whatever, we have many more shocks to show, let's hurry to the next BIG MOMENT. St Tyrion the Dragon Whisperer, I won't even go there; just feeling really let down that he didn't get Quentyned because I can't stand St Tyrion anymore. Please fucking die (I know it won't ever happen but dreaming is free). Larry and Carol and Joffrey 2.0, underwhelming and booooooring. The Mountain has some sort of GPS, too. So characters get jetpacks and GPS; maybe he didn't get it, maybe it's a built-in feature in this case. I don't care, dumb as fuck. Iron Isles, extremely underwhelming, extremely boring. Pacey Greyjoy is boring, too. Maybe he'll pull a complete 180° once Ramsay Sue is dead in order to become the new Villain Sue, but right now, BORING. What else? Can't remember, but I'm sure it was equally underwhelming and boring. AH, the resurrection! How could I leave that ou... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. What was I saying? That's right, Jonny Snowflake's resurrection. UNDERWHELMING to a ridiculous degree, and boring, so very boring. That's gotta be some sort of achievement, I'm sure. To turn the most hyped and expected scene EVAH into a snoozefest of this magnitude. 

10 hours ago, rosehustle1 said:

I wish they had a more diverse writing team and actually valued George's  rich ASOIAF world and his input. Can you imagine how amazing this show could have been with a showrunner who had Peter Jackson's kind of passion and love for LOTR? If we could have had showrunners who were pro-book and hired people who read the books and expected the actors to continually read the books; we would have had a much richer television adaptation.

Agreed, and this is a big problem with Game of Thrones. On a television show like this, it's important to have a staff with diverse viewpoints. Other showrunners value such things, it makes for a better show.

I hope you keep contributing to the rants thread, as I enjoy reading your rants.

7 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

And certainly do not attempt to think about it too much, let alone compare the within-scene logic to portrayal and logic in previous seasons.

@Maid So Fair you are absolutely correct to call BS on the Karstark following Wamsay for being a father-killer, while every Karstark from first to last abandoned their self-appointed king because that king lawfully executed a traitor who's a cousin more in name than blood really of generations ago in the Old Way.

Exactly & thats the very thing, i hate to say, that seperates it from the truly great shows & cinema - hate to say it because right up until season 4 i had GoT in my top 3 greatest shows ever - it was d&d's inability to interpret affc & adwd, which clearly lacked the cut and paste climax & tone of the first 3. 

Up to that point they managed to transfer to screen effectively albeit imperfectly the inner weavings and character depth, enough to have a truly respectable adaptation & one of the best productions ever - and now GoT can never be mentioned in the same sentence as The Sopranos, The Wire, Madmen - Breaking Bad & countless others - those shows do it so effectively and consistently they are truly novels on screen - GoT opted out of that tier of greatness, even though they had the resources, moreso than any of the shows mentioned, to make it historically great - $$ wise and story material wise

and it all starts with, as i believe you mentioned earlier, their failure to involve teams of writers and broaden the scope of the writing - as every single show i mentioned above did, which is what they owe their greatness to.

10 hours ago, rosehustle1 said:

I wish they had a more diverse writing team and actually valued George's  rich ASOIAF world and his input. Can you imagine how amazing this show could have been with a showrunner who had Peter Jackson's kind of passion and love for LOTR? If we could have had showrunners who were pro-book and hired people who read the books and expected the actors to continually read the books; we would have had a much richer television adaptation.

Amen to that

49 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Agree, but still catchup up on the thread.

9 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

They even managed to make the return of Jonny Snowflake boring.

That they did, very anti-clamtic, or at least it would be if they built it up properly but tey didn't do that either, so its just nothing is nothing again.

9 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

WHY DOESNT DAVOS ASK MEL ABOUT STANNIS AND SHIREEN??????????

What a joke. And he won't ask Brienne either (which is fine, he can't expect her to know anything), but Brienne won't ever bring it up either.

Because that would require logic

19 minutes ago, Sir Loin Steak said:

Horrible thought, it's all set up for the following:

HODOR: Hodor.

BRAN: Whatcha talkin bout Willis?

At which point they're going to owe me a new tv.

:lmao:

The sad thing is, that wouldn't be the worst line Dumb & Dumber have used. 

4 hours ago, Darknightz said:

(i) Anyone know what the point of that sparrow v larry scene was? Did we learn anything there? Anybody? 

(ii) Also they feel the need to show a scene like ramsey/fat walda when they couldve easily made it one of those orders that get carried out off screen, like they did with myranda just last week - what they choose to omit vs. dedicate screen time to perplexes. I mean i get shock value & all, but i couldve gone w/o all the imagery of newborns and hungry dogs, as im sure most couldve.

(i) It establishes that Larry the Kingsguard is so oblivious that he fails to notice dozens of black robed nutters have entered a room. It also established that the High Sparrow is now openly treasonous to members of the royal family (bring down empires talk).

(ii) That whole sequence was so drawn out and hammy (not to mention Walda's immediate recovery from childbirth). If they really wanted to go in that direction, they should've just had Ramsay walk off to casually murder Walda and the newborn (off-camera even) immediately after killing Roose. That would be much more chilling than setting up the equivalent of lowering her into a shark tank; it would feel more like something an actual psychopath might do rather than Bond-villain theatrics (with dogs that practically seem to respond to Ramsay's mental commands no-less).

5 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

I'm not sure if the Hodor thing won't be a purely show invention. For one thing in the books Hodor is only in the teens himself. In the show the actor is too old to be of the same age as Robb and Jon, so they made him of Ned and Brandon's age. 

I noticed this too. That would mean tv Hodor is 5-7ish years older than kid-Ned on the show. I don't know if book-Hodor is in his teens, but he is definitely younger than book-Ned. Can anyone else confirm his age, please? I know Old Nan is his great-grandmother.

35 minutes ago, Sir Loin Steak said:

Horrible thought, it's all set up for the following:

HODOR: Hodor.

BRAN: Whatcha talkin bout Willis?

At which point they're going to owe me a new tv.

:cheers::lmao:

You owe me a new laptop 'cuz I just spit coffee everywhere.

Archived