The Kingkiller Chronicles Finds Its Writer

AncalagonTheBlack

59 minutes ago, red snow said:

I think people who know music already had an issue with Kvothe being able to play sweet, sweet music with one string. The TV show would probably have to have him voice-over the parts where he plays the most amazing music ever (with the crowd looking on mesmerized). Funnier yet it actually does sound awful and we get a confirmation of the unreliable narrator.

Red Snow,

He never plays "sweet sweet music" with "one string".  He plays it with one string broken.  That's a lot different from what you just described.  

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Red Snow,

He never plays "sweet sweet music" with "one string".  He plays it with one string broken.  That's a lot different from what you just described.  

I must have misrembered. I was sure there were strings sequentially breaking, causing him to adapt again and again. He's not the only unreliable narrator :P

18 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

He managed to adapt with two strings missing but three was too many for him.  He lost one string during his first performance at the Eolian but still won his pipes.

It may be puffery from an unreliable narrator but its not beyond the realm of the possible.

Ok, that makes more sense. Three strings were broken but I forgot he admitted defeat at that point.

He clearly has to be decent at playing as he wouldn't make any money at all if crap (or earn his pipes). In terms of TV there's a big difference between making him sound good and having him play the best music ever. They should stick to him being good.

Red Snow, there are 2 different incidents with Kvothe's strings breaking. One is when he's on his own in the woods as a kid, that's the sequence with his strings breaking one by one as he keeps playing (and he gives up after 3 as Scot says). The 2nd is in the Eolian when he wins his pipes and only 1 string breaks. I seem to remember that the music is not as good afterwards, but he manages to keep it together well enough to impress everyone - and the practise from the first incident was useful.

It's easy to describe something as the best thing ever in a book. It's incredibly difficult to translate that to TV, and the music is such a big part of the books in this case. Maybe they can just use real life compositions, but then the string breaking incidents are gonna be tough. And he's supposed to be a great singer as well.

Personally I can't see this adaptation working at all. Too much of the joy of the books is in things I don't understand how to film.

41 minutes ago, Slick Mongoose said:

It's easy to describe something as the best thing ever in a book. It's incredibly difficult to translate that to TV, and the music is such a big part of the books in this case. Maybe they can just use real life compositions, but then the string breaking incidents are gonna be tough. And he's supposed to be a great singer as well.

Personally I can't see this adaptation working at all. Too much of the joy of the books is in things I don't understand how to film.

The first one was the one I was misrembering. I'm sure they can find someone who can sing and act but I agree it's quite hard to translate visuals/sounds from a book where you can just desrcibe it as amazing and having to actually show it on screen.

I find it hard not to see Eddie Redmayne as older Kvothe but I think his Harry Potter role will distance him from such a venture.

You know, I've seen plenty of guitar players over the years break a string or 2 and not miss a beat. Granted, it's going to be a little easier to hide any mistakes when you've got other musicians to hide behind, but I don't think adjusting to broken strings is this absurdly impossible task it's being made out to be.

7 hours ago, matt b said:

You know, I've seen plenty of guitar players over the years break a string or 2 and not miss a beat. Granted, it's going to be a little easier to hide any mistakes when you've got other musicians to hide behind, but I don't think adjusting to broken strings is this absurdly impossible task it's being made out to be.

At some point there must be a reason why a guitar has more than one string though. And certainly if you have another guitarist, bass and percussion you can blag it or even change the string (or get another guitar if you can afford it). I've always been impressed by artists restringing a guitar and tuning it live.

In the case of Kvothe, he is awesome, so it shouldn't be too hard for him to achieve any of these tasks.

10 hours ago, Slick Mongoose said:

Even if they do succeed in making Kvothe look amazingly talented at all the things he's great at, there would be a danger that just makes him really annoying.

I'm curious how they'll handle the narration, since large amounts of narration generally don't work that well on film. I wonder if they might have some fourth-wall breaking scenes of Kvothe addressing the camera, along the lines of something like Limitless?

• 1 year later...

Showtime Lands Lin-Manuel Miranda-EPed TV Series 'The Kingkiller Chronicle'

Set in the world of the popular fantasy series by Rothfuss, The Kingkiller Chronicle will follow a pair of wandering performers on their adventures through the unique and startling world of Temerant, immersing audiences in a universe of unexpected heroes, mystical places, and terrifying dark forces.

I don't understand this. Origin story of what? The Name of the Wind was an origin story?

The television adaption is a subversive origin story set a generation before the events of the trilogy’s first novel, The Name of the Wind.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

It's gonna be about Kvothe's parents, right?

That's what it sounds like but Kvothe's parents and Kvothe learning about them seems to be a big part of his origin story. Just seems weird to have a series on them while still trying to do a Kvothe movie based on The Name of the Wind.

25 minutes ago, Mexal said:

That's what it sounds like but Kvothe's parents and Kvothe learning about them seems to be a big part of his origin story. Just seems weird to have a series on them while still trying to do a Kvothe movie based on The Name of the Wind.

Definitely. And heck, this had better not come out before Doors of Stone does.

3 hours ago, Mexal said:

Yeah this seems very odd. There's also no real plot to model a show off of. This could be any fantasy show whatsoever but it's like they needed to have Kingkiller somewhere in the title sequence so they could re-create the success of something like Game of Thrones. Showtime's a classier network so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Definitely. And heck, this had better not come out before Doors of Stone does.

Seems like this is the exact same mistake, maybe even worse, as ASOIAF. Even if Rothfuss finishes Doors of Stone before the movie comes out, I'm skeptical it would be a concluding (or at least satisfying) novel to Kvothe's storyline. There are so many unexplained and open plot threads and the story can go in several directions. I don't know how you can wrap that up in one novel without it being a massive letdown.

17 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Seems like this is the exact same mistake, maybe even worse, as ASOIAF. Even if Rothfuss finishes Doors of Stone before the movie comes out, I'm skeptical it would be a concluding (or at least satisfying) novel to Kvothe's storyline. There are so many unexplained and open plot threads and the story can go in several directions. I don't know how you can wrap that up in one novel without it being a massive letdown.

This may be a move to prevent a repeat of the show finishing before the books. If the books were covered on TV , we'd be up to DoS in 3-4 years. By putting that story in movies (I'm assuming that's still the plan) we're looking at 8-9 years before getting lapped by the adaptation, longer if it takes more than one movie per book.

ETA: I may have misread WG's comment. I'm talking about the movies passing the books in terms of releases, not any secrets about Kvothe's parents from the tv show that are still unrevealed and may impact DoS.

On 27/10/2017 at 8:21 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

So a bit more like the new Potterverse films?

It seems an odd choice given how little time the books have spent (so far) on his parents. Although I guess the structure of the books makes it impossible to describe them outside of Kvothe's knowledge of them.

On the other hand it does give them the freedom to do what they like. It's just a really strange move to spend money on the rights for something and then do something entirely different. I'd have thought the point of adapting a book was partly because the story already has an audience and has been tested.

Now if the Dark Tower were to reveal that the show is new material based around Roland's teenage years to the fall of Gilead - I'd be very happy.

On the other hand it does give them the freedom to do what they like. It's just a really strange move to spend money on the rights for something and then do something entirely different. I'd have thought the point of adapting a book was partly because the story already has an audience and has been tested.

Now if the Dark Tower were to reveal that the show is new material based around Roland's teenage years to the fall of Gilead - I'd be very happy.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/lin-manuel-miranda-kingkiller-chronicles-patrick-rothfuss.html

Lin-Manuel Miranda on Adapting The Kingkiller Chronicles, How It Inspired Moana, and the Lady Lackless Song He Wrote

Yeah, I agree, but it looks like there is some good news after all. They are doing the books as movies. I'm very glad. They are sort of following the Dark Tower model, but it's just the opposite to the Dark Tower with me. I'm a lot more interested in seeing these books as movies than I am in a back story in the world. 

I'm also thrilled that Lin-Manuel Miranda is behind it all. I've never sampled his work, but I know of him by reputation and through the media. It's clear he's a hugely talented guy who knows music, and it helps that he is a fan of the books.

• 2 months later...

Archived