[Book Spoilers All] Bran’s Growing Powers in S6 Based upon the Reread

evita mgfs

8 minutes ago, 239JMFL34109 said:

A lot of people feel he was the "real" villain of the series...

Harry didn't. Personally I completely disliked him. It is just very complicated :D

28 minutes ago, 239JMFL34109 said:

Well in the books he clearly has crush on her. It would be a good moment to have him reveal those feels in the show and then have her reject them.

Also i don't feel like the magic is evil as it is just a great power and i could see bran, like anyone really, begin to be corrupted by this power. In the book he is already using it on hodor in a really messed up way but he likes being in control of hordor. 

Ok, those feelings!

Well if Meera is going to survive S6 IMo it would be a good moment too. If the show acknowledges Bran's feelings it will be a great revelation, and a great surprise, considering they don't like exploring romances. (only some of them).

In the show we don't know if Bran has a crush on Meera. He was upset in S4 when in The Craster's house the mutinous brothers tried to harm her, but we don't know if there's something more going on in his head.

As for Meera, we don't know if in the books she loves him, although It's 99% sure  that she doesn't due to their age difference, (bigger in the books). However, she cares a lot about him and he is totally in love with her.

And in the show she may reject him but we know he would never hurt him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqn_yUWPh4g

6.11 to 6.35

10 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Ok, those feelings!

Well if Meera is going to survive S6 IMo it would be a good moment too. If the show acknowledges Bran's feelings it will be a great revelation, and a great surprise, considering they don't like exploring romances. (only some of them).

In the show we don't know if Bran has a crush on Meera. He was upset in S4 when in The Craster's house the mutinous brothers tried to harm her, but we don't know if there's something more going on in his head.

I have the feeling that if they decide to explore these feelings, the situation could be reversed in the show. Apparently it is Meera who is feeling lonely, and she could develop some feelings for him, perhaps by loneliness. 

1 minute ago, Lady of Butterflies said:

I have the feeling that if they decide to explore these feelings, the situation could be reversed in the show. Apparently it is Meera who is feeling lonely, and she could develop some feelings for him, perhaps by loneliness. 

I've just edited my previous comment

17 minutes ago, Lady of Butterflies said:

Now I'm wondering if those words  of her (the clip) may have a double meaning.....and your theory about being lonely could really make her have feelings for him......mmmm

If that is to happen in the books (which would be in an ideal and perfect future where both of them survived:bowdown:) the show could develop them right now, and being Meera the one who enters this spectrum first is interesting. Moreover, Bran is older in the show  and Meera has an indefinate age in the show (does she say how old she is ?)

Wow!  I just returned after a day off - and this thread has gone to 9 pages.  I need to read and reread everyone's posts.

Anyway, I did work on a new discovery I posted in the other thread - but since it does have a few possibilities related to the show, namely the Singers and their potential to use ice and fire magic, I am going to post it here.  Besides, I cannot wait for any reaction to what I have discovered.  I am very impatient!

Intimations of Fire and Water Magic in Bran’s Cave

From his Last POV in ADwD

Martin suggests that Bran may have more sources of magic at his disposal when he returns to his “snug alcove” in the rock “cold and empty” [459].

Covered with furs, Bran watches “the flames” and “He did not remember closing his eyes” [459].

Is it possible that Bran does not remember closing his eyes because he does not do so?  If this is the case, then in a way similar to Melisandre, Bran evokes visions through the flames that transport him through the trees to Winterfell’s godswood.

“. . . but then SOMEHOW he [Bran] was back in Winterfell AGAIN” [459].

Martin writes with meticulous meanness and his wording is strategic:  SOMEHOW Bran returns AGAIN via another course of magic to Winterfell’s godswood WITHOUT the following courses of action:

Without sitting on his weirwood throne,

Without listening to his corpse lord’s guidance,

Without following the established protocol,

Without ingesting additional weirwood paste,

Without befriending the darkness [but in the illumination of firelight],

Without closing his eyes,

And without slipping his skin like he does with Summer to become married with the tree.

Instead, while gazing into the fire, Bran finds himself back in Winterfell, inside the heart tree, and looking down upon his father who is engaged in prayer.  A younger Eddard Stark asks the old gods for spiritual guidance.

“Father, it’s me.  It’s Bran.  Brandon”.

“Eddard Stark lifted his head and looked long at the weirwood, frowning, but he did not speak” [459].

Furthermore, Martin describes Bran’s voice as “a whisper in the wind” that rustles the leaves, thereby confirming in his prose narrative that Bran indeed manipulates the wind to rustle the leaves in the trees.  Additionally, by doing this, Bran succeeds in getting his father’s attention from some point in the future while Bran watches past events unfold.

What is compelling is that Bran’s conduit for reaching Winterfell is the fire, another venue for his magic that suggests his versatility as a greenseer.  While watching the flames, Bran embodies the weirwood.

Additionally, Martin insinuates that water magic plays a part in Bran’s vision quest.

In the appellation WEIRwood is the word weir:

A weir is a dam built across a river to regulate the flow of water, divert it, or change its level [[Encarta Dictionary].

Not only does the purpose of a weir bring to mind the Children and their reported part in the Hammer mythology – as a weir “regulates the flow of water – diverting and changing its level”, but in Martin’s description of Bran’s visionary experiences, the author employs language indicative of water.

Bran sheds tears, then “The rest of his father’s words were drowned out by a sudden clatter of wood on wood.  Eddard Stark dissolved like a mist in the morning sun”.

·       Tears, drowning, and the mist are words associated with water.

·       Martin may be punning “morning SUN/SON, as it is Bran, son of Ned, who is the visionary.

·       The sun is made of fire, and Bran’s vision is prompted by the fire Hodor lights in his alcove.

“Now two children danced across the godswood, hooting and hollering at one another as they dueled with BROKEN BRANCHES”.

·       Martin’s clever use of words, such as “weir wood”, he describes the BROKEN BRANches used for swords.

·       Bran refers to himself as “Broken”, hence “Broken Bran”.

She slashed the boy across his high, so hard that his leg went out from under him and he fell into the pool and began to splash and shout [460].

·       That brilliant George RR Martin:  who recalls the wildlings in the wolfswoods and Bran’s thigh being cut by one of them?

·       It may mean something or it may mean nothing – in the Bran POV from AGoT, water is involved as well.

·       The boy splashing and shouting who falls into the pool may be a “metaphor” for Bran, and his sister Arya needs to extend her hand to help her brother – maybe even free him from the Cave of Skulls, pulling him free from the roots of trees that cradle him like a baby. [Merely speculation].

“You be quiet, stupid”, the girl said, tossing her own branch aside. “It’s just water.  Do you want Old Nan to hear and run tell father?”  She knelt and pulled her brother from the pool, and before she got him out, the two of them were gone” [460].

·       The girl who looks like Arya says, “It’s just water.”  Martin strongly implies that Arya has a strong affinity to water.

·       In this way, Arya, by using the force of water, will help her brother Bran in his future endeavors.  However, Arya needs Bran to guide her in the discovery of this unique gift; that is, unless the Faceless Men have done their homework because it sure seems providential that Arya is in Braavos, surrounded by water, and Arya is ascertaining her own powers as she progresses in her studies with the kindly man. It seems that her absorption of knowledge is awakening her warg and skinchanging gifts.

“After that the glimpses came faster and faster, till Bran was feeling dizzy.  He saw no more of his father, nor the girl who looked like Arya, but a woman heavy with child emerged naked and dripping from the black pool, knelt before the tree, and begged the old gods for a who would avenge her” [460].

·       Birth and vengeance does Martin suggest with a pregnant women emerging from water that might indeed have magical properties.  The water and the old gods may grant her the son she prays for.

·       Moreover, Martin moves from Arya to the “pregnant woman” – perhaps another portent for Arya’s future?  Maybe Arya will be the vessel to represent the immaculate conception so much a part of Catholic doctrine.

“And now the lords bran glimpsed were tall and hard, stern men in fur and chain mail.  Some wore faces he remembered from the statues in the crypts, but they t were gone before he could put a name to them” [460].

·       Martin has made mention of Arya several times thus far, and now Martin’s descriptive language evocates Arya and her present role as a faceless assassin.

·       The lords are costumed in fur and mail, and “SOME WORE FACES” – methinks the author is alluding to the Faceless Men of Braavos by employing strategic language.

·       Furthermore, the stern men disappear “before he [Bran] could put a name to them”.

·       Arya trains as no one who must deny her own name to wear faces of others in her position if acolyte serving Him-of-Many-Faces.

·       The wording is too pat, too marked, too deliberate to be a mere coincidence.  Martin wants readers to connect Arya with Bran, with water, and with identity.

·       Martin’s metaphoric implementations import much and more.  The language is as deep as the roots of trees, weighing heavily with symbolic meanings.

“Then, as he watched, a bearded man forced a captive down onto his knees before he heart tree.  A white-haired woman stepped toward them through a drift of dark red leaves, a bronze sickle in her hand” [460].

·       Another water-driven word – “drift” – “to be carried along by the flow of water or air” [Encarta Dictionary] – applies double possibilities that confuse the force moving the leaves as either the water or the air; regardless, the air and water are elementals that Bran and his sister Arya are innately connected to through their genetic disposition.

·       The red leaves drifting is in preparation for “the red tide” of flowing blood next.

“The woman grabbed the captive by the hair, hooked the sickle round his throat.  And through the mists of centuries the broken boy could only watch as the man’s feet drummed against the earth . . . but as his life flowed out of him in a red tide, Brandon Stark could taste the blood” [460].

·       The “tide” is the rise and fall of the ocean: “the cyclic rise and fall of the ocean or another body of water produced by the attraction of the Moon and Sun, occurring about every twelve hours” [Encarta Dictionary].

·       Martin bonds the movement of water with the movement of blood.

Upon discovering these clues to fire and water magic in a passage I have read at lease fifty times was exciting.

I cannot wait to hear the reactions of my fellow PACK mates!

1 hour ago, 239JMFL34109 said:

A lot of people feel he was the "real" villain of the series...

Hodor could do it. I do think hodor will die at some point. 

OR

Maybe Bran reveal his feels and get rejected hard?  then embraces this really dark power he has if you think about it. 

1 hour ago, 239JMFL34109 said:

Well in the books he clearly has crush on her. It would be a good moment to have him reveal those feels in the show and then have her reject them.

Also i don't feel like the magic is evil as it is just a great power and i could see bran, like anyone really, begin to be corrupted by this power. In the book he is already using it on hodor in a really messed up way but he likes being in control of hordor. 

When i read your first post, i thought you're suggesting Bran actually has feelings for Hodor and not Meera :laugh:.

With Bran's dark power is actually love, and then for Bran to be reject by Meera. For some reason, i kept thinking Bran gonna go Anakin Skywalker path - do something for the sake of his love interest, but ends up killing her unintentionally and turn to the dark side. Minus the crappy acting lol.

@evita mgfstake your time! We've been discussing a clip when they ran out of the tunnels, some news about a heartbreaking moment, (evil vs not evil) and recently Bran's feelings.

In this way, Arya, by using the force of water, will help her brother Bran in his future endeavors.  However, Arya needs Bran to guide her in the discovery of this unique gift; that is, unless the Faceless Men have done their homework because it sure seems providential that Arya is in Braavos, surrounded by water, and Arya is ascertaining her own powers as she progresses in her studies with the kindly man. It seems that her absorption of knowledge is awakening her warg and skinchanging gifts.

That would be perfect.

What is compelling is that Bran’s conduit for reaching Winterfell is the fire, another venue for his magic that suggests his versatility as a greenseer.  While watching the flames, Bran embodies the weirwood.

Great point. I've read the chapter many times and never thought about this. So his versatility could involve the magic of fire too? Because we know there's the magic of fire, the magic of the Other (The WW'S=ice) and the ones of the Old Gods: Greenseers and the Children.

25 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Now I'm wondering if those words  of her (the clip) may have a double meaning.....and your theory about being lonely could really make her have feelings for him......mmmm

If that is to happen in the books (which would be in an ideal and perfect future where both of them survived:bowdown:) the show could develop them right now, and being Meera the one who enters this spectrum first is interesting. Moreover, Bran is older in the show  and Meera has an indefinate age in the show (does she say how old she is ?)

I don't think those words had a double meaning. But I think she certainly has  admiration and cares a lot about him.

Ellie said Meera will be feeling very alone in Season 6. I could imagine a situation in which she tries to get closer to him, at first for friendship and maybe falls in love with him, but I don't know what would be his reaction. I imagine if they develop this plot, the relationship between them would be completely different from the books because of the age of the characters in the show.

3 minutes ago, Lady of Butterflies said:

I don't think those words had a double meaning. But I think she certainly has  admiration and cares a lot about him.

Ellie said Meera will be feeling very alone in Season 6. I could imagine a situation in which she tries to get closer to him, at first for friendship and maybe falls in love with him, but I don't know what would be his reaction. I imagine if they develop this plot, the relationship between them would be completely different from the books because of the age of the characters in the show.

Yes, agree. What they have in common it's the friendship and that they are totally alone, except for Hodor. Meera lost her brother and Bran can't walk for himself.

I wonder if the show will handle the frustration that Bran has when he knows he won't walk again, after this journey. And that he has to cope with being a greenseer, because he doesn't want that in the books, but feels it's his duty.

There's also the part of that he doesn't want to marry a tree. In this sense, this words are a reference to his feelings for Meera, but in the show they have not been explored yet IMO.

40 minutes ago, The Arthur Smith said:

When i read your first post, i thought you're suggesting Bran actually has feelings for Hodor and not Meera :laugh:.

With Bran's dark power is actually love, and then for Bran to be reject by Meera. For some reason, i kept thinking Bran gonna go Anakin Skywalker path - do something for the sake of his love interest, but ends up killing her unintentionally and turn to the dark side. Minus the crappy acting lol.

the love that dare not speak it's hodor!!! 

I could see Bran try to control her to make her love him in the books...

23 hours ago, Lady of Butterflies said:

Hi there! TV Guide Magazine released a new picture of Bran in Season 6 (I loved the picture and already made it as my avatar).

https://pp.vk.me/c630229/v630229968/23720/ocIRY7Py0j0.jpg

Thanks!

Welcome to our pack. :grouphug: I am catching up with all of your great posts!

22 hours ago, The Arthur Smith said:

I think i know what's the revelation is going to be that make Bran's "ego quickly swells" and the fans' heart break...

Hide contents

Meera and Hodor die, leaving Bran all alone in the weirwood...

NOOOOO!:bawl:

21 hours ago, The Arthur Smith said:

But what kind of act? What deed that will have serious consequences or enough to make Bran villainous?

Unless

Reveal hidden contents

It's Bran revealing the truth about the TOJ to Jon via through the heartree that will have consequences. I know, crazy idea. But i can't help maybe this will make Jon darker and ambitious now that he learned he's a Targ and the "Prince that was Promise".

I thought about this ever since i watched this breakdown about the teaser, which i believe it's the most informative analysis i seen.

GRMM did say that Jon will learn about his parentage.

Welcome to the thread.:wub:

This idea is one that I too have had.  Jon thinks he is Stark - learning the truth will make him MAD! Mad with vengeance.

Jon will be majorly disillusioned - and his identity will be thrown deeper into turmoil.

Imagine how anyone would feel to have been lied to his entire life?

Just now, The Arthur Smith said:

Oh gosh, that crackpot about Bran warging Hodor into raping Meera comes in my mind! :ack:

NOOOOO.

Hodor is too big - his girth, height, and his MANHOOD.

He will split Meera in half!

1 minute ago, The Arthur Smith said:

Oh gosh, that crackpot about Bran warging Hodor into raping Meera comes in my mind! :ack:

No, NO, he would never do that! He's just frustrated because she loves her, nothing more. Please just no!!

Archived