[Book Spoilers All] Bran’s Growing Powers in S6 Based upon the Reread

evita mgfs

4 minutes ago, The Arthur Smith said:

We are trying to find out about the revelation Bran will have to make his ego swells.

he can "awake the giants in the earth" you know cause earthquakes and tsuanmis...you know whitebeard from one piece stuff

If you do that you cannot have a small ego. 

2 minutes ago, 239JMFL34109 said:

he can "awake the giants in the earth" you know cause earthquakes and tsuanmis...you know whitebeard from one piece stuff

Bran causing earthquakes and tsunami, huh... Maybe he will cause the Wall to crash and awake more White Walkers?

2 minutes ago, 239JMFL34109 said:

one piece?? The anime? 

but which giants will he awake?

Just now, Meera of Tarth said:

one piece?? The anime? 

but which giants will he awake?

I think giants in the earth was old time speak for we don't know what causes earthquakes. He awakens giants in the earth he cause earthquakes. that is was the COTF did at dorne and at the neck. Earthquakes and tsunamis. 

Also one piece is great the manga has been going on as long as GRRM has been publishing ASOIAF 

3 minutes ago, The Arthur Smith said:

Bran causing earthquakes and tsunami, huh... Maybe he will cause the Wall to crash and awake more White Walkers?

I think the WW do that. As there is something called an Ice quake. 

12 minutes ago, 239JMFL34109 said:

I think giants in the earth was old time speak for we don't know what causes earthquakes. He awakens giants in the earth he cause earthquakes. that is was the COTF did at dorne and at the neck. Earthquakes and tsunamis. 

Also one piece is great the manga has been going on as long as GRRM has been publishing ASOIAF 

I think the WW do that. As there is something called an Ice quake. 

I'm aware of the existence of the long running One Piece, although I've never had the occasion of watching it

17 minutes ago, The Arthur Smith said:

All you say is interesting.

Bran's possible anger/ego could cause the wall falling maybe? and that would lead to the invasion of the others?

For the same reason, if Bran is so powerful, he could cause a seism or something that could make the WW stay in the remaining parts of the lands of the Always WInter, separated from Westeros 

5 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

If Jon is going to be resurrected, the Stark thing won't happen in the same episodes, maybe later

I understand that, and I'm not expecting the tower of joy scene until mid or towards the end of the season. Or to put it another way, if Jon is going to find out the truth of his parents whether by through Bran or other means, it's going to be played late enough in season 6. 

8 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Bran's possible anger/ego could cause the wall falling maybe? and that would lead to the invasion of the others?

If this is true, then damn it Bran! You already caused enough events ever since you disobeyed your mother!

8 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

For the same reason, if Bran is so powerful, they could cause a seism or something that could make the WW stay in the remaining parts of the lands of the Always WInter, separated from Westeros 

Make sense with Bran being powerful. Seems like Bloodraven will die in S6 and most likely he will pass off his power and sorcery to Bran, with Bran replacing Bloodraven as the most powerful greenseer.

12 hours ago, Tijgy said:

Yeah, Bran is just so cute and amazing how he interrupts constantly that tale. :D And Jojen constantly: did you father not tell you that story? 

And I just thought of something: 

Bran did not understand, so he asked the Reeds. "Do you like to read books, Bran?" Jojen asked him.

"Some books. I like the fighting stories. My sister Sansa likes the kissing stories, but those are stupid."

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one. The singers of the forest had no books. No ink, no parchment, no written language. Instead they had the trees, and the weirwoods above all. When they died, they went into the wood, into leaf and limb and root, and the trees remembered. All their songs and spells, their histories and prayers, everything they knew about this world. Maesters will tell you that the weirwoods are sacred to the old gods. The singers believe they are the old gods. When singers die they become part of that godhood."

Bran is really a little greenseer :wub: Already loving stories and amazing in retelling them. 

And I do not want Summer to die!!!!!! He cannot die. He is my favorite character.

In ASOIF Martin weaves within his prose references to classic literature: thus, plot elements in ADwD mirror those in Shakespeare’s tragedy Julius Caesar. This is deliberate on Martin’s part for he even borrows direct quotes, such as, "Cowards die many times before their deaths, / The valiant never taste of death but once" Julius Caesar (II, ii, 32-37). Check out Jojen Reed’s analogy of Bran’s greenseer abilities after they are “Martinized”: “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . . The man who never reads lives only one”.

Jon Snow parallels Julius Caesar, whose friend Marcus Brutus [black brother Bowen Marsh] joins, then heads, a conspiracy to stop Caesar’s growing power by assassinating him in the Capital.

Likewise, Lord Commander Jon Snow is betrayed by his sworn brothers of the Night’s Watch, stabbed in the presence of shocked onlookers. [A theme in JC is the “mob” mentality – how easily they switch sides and how vulnerable they are to manipulation ].
Shakespeare sets up his characterization of JC by making him arrogant, dismissing all the many, many warnings he receives in advance of his death. A Soothsayer bids him “Beware the Ides of March,” much like Melisandre warns Jon Snow of her fire visions – ‘daggers in the dark’.

A ‘Night Watch’ reports to JC of strange events in Rome – a lioness hath whelped in the middle of the street. Compare this to Ghost and Mormont’s raven behaving strangely, seemingly aware of some danger their master is ill-equipped to perceive himself. [Lots of really weird stuff happened in Rome ‘supposedly’ the night before JC’s death – I just picked one; for instance, the graves also opened to yield their dead, which parallels ASOIF and the white walkers]
Caesar meets with several conspirators before the deed just as JS meets with Bowen Marsh. It is Brutus’ stab that is the “unkindest cut of all” and prompts “Et tu, Brute. Then fall Caesar”, after which Caesar collapses at the foot of Pompey’s Statue.

Similarly, Bowen Marsh stabs JS, after which JS drops to his knees, whispers ‘Ghost’, grunts, and falls face first in the snow.

On the other hand, many, many marked differences exist between JC and JS (For instance, JC is stabbed 33 times, JS only four ‘that we know of’.). These intimations I noted are fun literary quizzes, and I think Martin likes to mix it up with artistic nods to the classics in his work.

Dolores Ed describes Septon Cellador, Othell Yarwyk, and Bowen Marsh as follows: “They have a hungry look about them . . . “ (517), which echoes Julius Caesar’s remarks to Marc Antony regarding the head conspirator Caius Cassius: “Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look, / He thinks too much; such men are dangerous” (Julius Caesar Act 1, scene 2, 190–195).

Moreover, in Jon Connington’s POV, Varys tells him: “Those who die heroic deaths are long remembered, thieves and drunks and cravens soon forgot” (311).
From Antony’s funeral oration come these similar words: “The evil that men do lives after them; / The good is oft interred with their bones (Julius Caesar Act 1II, scene 2).

Note the twist in meaning between the two quotes – a sign that Martin is having some fun?

“For Bran, I think it's a real wake up call. He's north, he's up where the dead are, and he could potentially be the key to making the dead victorious or defeating them,” Hempstead-Wright teased. “There's not much time. Bran has really got to get his act together, and he's still got many teenage, hubristic tendencies. He's still making some silly decisions with his powers. He's got to learn quickly, and he's got to shoulder a tremendous amount of responsibility with these powers which are going to be crucial, I feel like. For Bran, 'the dead are coming' is a real 'you need to step up to the plate.’”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/17/what-the-dead-are-coming-means-for-game-of-thrones-season-6

The ign article is interesting, and based on he books I would deconstruct it as:

Teenage, hubristic tendencies = his teen love for Meera, and an over-inflated ego which is pretty standard for a teen, but is exacerbated by him being, well, a DemiGod

Silly decisions = trying to alter the past/communicate with people in his visions. We see him try to speak to Ned in ADWD, and although Bloodraven says it is impossible, that doesn't mean Bran will stop trying. And there are likely good reasons not to interfere. Changing things that already happened...never going to end well.

And of course, there is a lot of pressure on him. Learning these skills can't be easy, even for a mature adult, and he is a teen (with all associated angst) with a very limited time, and a lot of people relying on him.

(great thread btw :) )

11 hours ago, Ser Matt Dayne said:

Well, technically he'll still be a Stark, their blood runs through his veins.

I'd say whatever Jon feels after the revelation won't be fully explored until Season 7. I can't see him confiding in the likes of Sansa, Davos or Tormund straight away. So in all likeliness he'll bury it for now and get on with the task at hand: retaking Winterfell. 

Exactly.:cheers:  I think Martin will explore Jon's identity issues in the novels more so than they will be in the series.

I also think Ghost is the conduit by which Bran will communicate with Jon.

It is like A Christmas Carol, Dickons _ the Ghost of Christmas past, present, and future will guide Jon - metaphorically.

15 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The ign article is interesting, and based on he books I would deconstruct it as:

Teenage, hubristic tendencies = his teen love for Meera, and an over-inflated ego which is pretty standard for a teen, but is exacerbated by him being, well, a DemiGod

Silly decisions = trying to alter the past/communicate with people in his visions. We see him try to speak to Ned in ADWD, and although Bloodraven says it is impossible, that doesn't mean Bran will stop trying. And there are likely good reasons not to interfere. Changing things that already happened...never going to end well.

And of course, there is a lot of pressure on him. Learning these skills can't be easy, even for a mature adult, and he is a teen (with all associated angst) with a very limited time, and a lot of people relying on him.

Seriously, I don't want them to turn Bran's story in a teen angst drama. Bran as a child was so mature for his age. He doesn't need to turn into a silly teenager.

14 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Thanks!  :bowdown:Nice to hear from a forum moderator.  I am humbled.:wub:

In the mother thread to this one, we do allege that Bran reaches his siblings - and he has telepathic powers, which Issac alluded to in his interview up thread.

So, we are hopeful that HBO will get some things right, even if MVS has two eyes, and not three!:D

3 minutes ago, evita mgfs said:

It is like A Christmas Carol, Dickons _ the Ghost of Christmas past, present, and future will guide Jon - metaphorically.

I would love that. I love a Christmas Carol. I probably already mentioned here? but I do agree with Bran, Ghost and Jon.

1 minute ago, Lady of Butterflies said:

Seriously, I don't want them to turn Bran's story in a teen angst drama. Bran as a child was so mature for his age. He doesn't need to turn into a silly teenager.

While Bran is very mature for his age, he is still a child which is shown clearly in the novel f.e. warging Hodor is something very selfish and sort of childish thing to do I believe. 

11 minutes ago, Lady of Butterflies said:

He is mature, but as Tijgy says, he is also slightly childish/immature at times, for example when he sends the Walders vegetables (because eww icky veggies :lol: ) and "Hodor doesn't like love stories". Less so in the later novels of course, but there is always that childlike quality about his POV chapters (I know in interviews before GRRM has said he finds it difficult to write Bran chapters because of the age of the character. I tend to think he does a very good job capturing an 8-10yr olds' perspective of the world). And I also think there is a fine line to walk; the fact he IS a teen, and would be experiencing all the difficulties of teenage years should be a part of his story - but it should not take over the narrative and be done in the Hollywood teen movie way. Subtle line, and all about balance IMO.

11 minutes ago, evita mgfs said:

Thanks!  :bowdown:Nice to hear from a forum moderator.  I am humbled.:wub:

In the mother thread to this one, we do allege that Bran reaches his siblings - and he has telepathic powers, which Issac alluded to in his interview up thread.

So, we are hopeful that HBO will get some things right, even if MVS has two eyes, and not three!:D

Thanks :P Don't be humbled though, I'm just another fan of ASOIAF who agreed to help out when asked. I don't say no to flattery though :lol: 

Yes, I agree Bran does and will continue to reach out to his siblings. From the Winds of Winter sample chapters

It's been a while since I read it, but I seem to recall there are parts of the Mercy chapter that suggest Bran is, if not reaching out to Arya, at least aware of her/Nymeria.

I was trying to watch out for signs in the Alayne chapter but couldn't find anything.

And of course, he reaches out to Theon, both in a Dance with Dragons and Winds. I wonder if this will play into things - has Bran found it in him to forgive Theon? It seems that way in the books, with him responding to Theon's praying to the Heart Tree, and later indicating he should be given the more merciful execution. 

What I was referencing in my post thou was him trying to reach out into visions of the past, such as when he trie to speak to Ned. If he continues attempting that, and actually succeeds...well, who knows what consequences there could be? I'm not sure that is where GRRM is going with this arc, but it's an interesting possibility to think about

Yeah, I confess I've not been impressed with Bran's story on the show. I've gone on about it at length elsewhere though so I won't derail this thread! But I also picked up on a thousand eyes and two :P 

2 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

He is mature, but as Tijgy says, he is also slightly childish/immature at times, for example when he sends the Walders vegetables (because eww icky veggies :lol: ) and "Hodor doesn't like love stories". Less so in the later novels of course, but there is always that childlike quality about his POV chapters (I know in interviews before GRRM has said he finds it difficult to write Bran chapters because of the age of the character. I tend to think he does a very good job capturing an 8-10yr olds' perspective of the world). And I also think there is a fine line to walk; the fact he IS a teen, and would be experiencing all the difficulties of teenage years should be a part of his story - but it should not take over the narrative and be done in the Hollywood teen movie way. Subtle line, and all about balance IMO.

Yes, I perfectly agree. I'm just afraid of how they will address this in the show, 

Archived