Jump to content
evita mgfs

[Book Spoilers All] Bran’s Growing Powers in S6 Based upon the Reread

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

No sooner had Littlefinger delivered his monologue than Bran the Lord of Winterfell and Master Librarian of the heart tree returns to Winterfell.  By drawing a parallel between Littlefinger and Bran -- with Sansa caught between them -- what are D&D intimating?  

  • that Littlefinger is/will be a greenseer like Bran?!
  • that Bran is a psychopath like Littlefinger? 
  • that Littlefinger and Bran are now the main players facing off against each other on the chess board, with the conflict getting underway at the epicentre of it all, Winterfell?

Not sure if you've seen these book quotes, but there does seem to be a connection between LF and greenseers in the books. Go about half-way down in the post. Also, if Robert is really LF's and LF has some connection to the CotF, then Robert's Bran parallels and sitting on a weirwood throne start to make some sense.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interview from the Premiere. 
LOL Isaac's face

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best scene of the season!

It was to see Bran use his powers in full glory :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tijgy said:

The best scene of the season!

It was to see Bran use his powers in full glory :D

It was amazing!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Tijgy said:

The best scene of the season!

It was to see Bran use his powers in full glory :D

Best scene in an otherwise awful episode!  Night's King won this round...but Bran won't be thinking fragmented thoughts forever...  In the end, I believe Bran's task is to mind-duel the Night's King, his ancestor (also named Brandon), for dominion over the army of the dead.  

Edited by ravenous reader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:15 AM, Tijgy said:

The best scene of the season!

It was to see Bran use his powers in full glory :D

Hey everyone.  :D

I agree this scene was awesome, one of the best in the series to date.  Finally we get to see Bran use his powers and skinchange a raven, although as RR said, the Night King won this round.

With Bran's growing powers in mind I have been pondering the seemingly random raven caws we have heard throughout season 7.  We have previously discussed the difficultly of portraying Bran's powers on screen, especially the potential of inhabiting such things as the wind, but how else could the show do such a thing and have Bran's presence felt secretly?  Perhaps one way is to subtly use the raven caws when there is no raven on screen? 

The one example I can remember clearly is when Arya is training with Brienne [loved that scene]  When the camera is on Littlefinger at the end of the scene there was a raven caw that seemed out of place to me on second watch.  Of course this could just be setting the scene for us watchers as we were at Winterfell, but my thought was ''Is that Bran? Will this be used or important later in the series/show?''   :dunno:

Whilst watching a review of the last episode I noticed someone in the live chat ponder the same thing regarding the scene when Arya broke into Littlefinger's chamber.  I have watched it back and there are a couple of raven caws but they are extremely quiet compared to the one at Arya's training with Brienne, so quiet in fact that they do seem more like a 'setting of the scene' as we are in the north and at Winterfell. 

Admittedly with no amount of confidence, I thought this might be something to look out for regards our favourite greenseer in future episodes.  If this turns out to be wrong then so be it, but we as Bran's growing powers groupies should be on the look out for all sorts of opportunities showing his presence. 

Here's hoping the show might do something cool like this and give Bran an extra dimension regards his powers.  We need something after they seem to have robbed him of any feelings.  :cheers:      

Edited by Wizz-The-Smith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wizz-The-Smith said:

Admittedly with no amount of confidence, I thought this might be something to look out for regards our favourite greenseer in future episodes.  If this turns out to be wrong then so be it, but we as Bran's growing powers groupies should be on the look out for all sorts of opportunities showing his presence. 

 

That is a very good idea! :cheers:

I also don't have a lot of confidence but I actually think it might be the most entertaining thing to watch through the whole episode! I know what to do tomorrow morning - if I am awake early - or tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wizz-The-Smith said:

Hey everyone.  :D

I agree this scene was awesome, one of the best in the series to date.  Finally we get to see Bran use his powers and skinchange a raven, although as RR said, the Night King won this round.

With Bran's growing powers in mind I have been pondering the seemingly random raven caws we have heard throughout season 7.  We have previously discussed the difficultly of portraying Bran's powers on screen, especially the potential of inhabiting such things as the wind, but how else could the show do such a thing and have Bran's presence felt secretly?  Perhaps one way is to subtly use the raven caws when there is no raven on screen? 

The one example I can remember clearly is when Arya is training with Brienne [loved that scene]  When the camera is on Littlefinger at the end of the scene there was a raven caw that seemed out of place to me on second watch.  Of course this could just be setting the scene for us watchers as we were at Winterfell, but my thought was ''Is that Bran? Will this be used or important later in the series/show?''   :dunno:

Whilst watching a review of the last episode I noticed someone in the live chat ponder the same thing regarding the scene when Arya broke into Littlefinger's chamber.  I have watched it back and there are a couple of raven caws but they are extremely quiet compared to the one at Arya's training with Brienne, so quiet in fact that they do seem more like a 'setting of the scene' as we are in the north and at Winterfell. 

Admittedly with no amount of confidence, I thought this might be something to look out for regards our favourite greenseer in future episodes.  If this turns out to be wrong then so be it, but we as Bran's growing powers groupies should be on the look out for all sorts of opportunities showing his presence. 

Here's hoping the show might do something cool like this and give Bran an extra dimension regards his powers.  We need something after they seem to have robbed him of any feelings.  :cheers:      

I have to rewatch these scenes then...Brienne and Arya and the other...and Arya in LF's room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

That is a very good idea! :cheers:

I also don't have a lot of confidence but I actually think it might be the most entertaining thing to watch through the whole episode! I know what to do tomorrow morning - if I am awake early - or tomorrow.

Cheers  :cheers:

It's probably nothing but if we were writers for the show it's the sort of thing we would want to see happen.  Come on D&D, have you not read @evita mgfs's legendary thread, lol.  We can but dream.  :idea:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I have to rewatch these scenes then...Brienne and Arya and the other...and Arya in LF's room.

Hey Meera  :)

It's definitely in the Arya and Brienne scene, but the Arya in LF's chamber example is very quiet and a far weaker example.  I suppose this idea could be used throughout the whole of season 7, but I've not paid attention to it whilst re-watching.  As I mentioned to Tigs, we can dream.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wizz-The-Smith said:

Hey everyone.  :D

I agree this scene was awesome, one of the best in the series to date.  Finally we get to see Bran use his powers and skinchange a raven, although as RR said, the Night King won this round.

With Bran's growing powers in mind I have been pondering the seemingly random raven caws we have heard throughout season 7.  We have previously discussed the difficultly of portraying Bran's powers on screen, especially the potential of inhabiting such things as the wind, but how else could the show do such a thing and have Bran's presence felt secretly?  Perhaps one way is to subtly use the raven caws when there is no raven on screen? 

The one example I can remember clearly is when Arya is training with Brienne [loved that scene]  When the camera is on Littlefinger at the end of the scene there was a raven caw that seemed out of place to me on second watch.  Of course this could just be setting the scene for us watchers as we were at Winterfell, but my thought was ''Is that Bran? Will this be used or important later in the series/show?''   :dunno:

Whilst watching a review of the last episode I noticed someone in the live chat ponder the same thing regarding the scene when Arya broke into Littlefinger's chamber.  I have watched it back and there are a couple of raven caws but they are extremely quiet compared to the one at Arya's training with Brienne, so quiet in fact that they do seem more like a 'setting of the scene' as we are in the north and at Winterfell. 

Admittedly with no amount of confidence, I thought this might be something to look out for regards our favourite greenseer in future episodes.  If this turns out to be wrong then so be it, but we as Bran's growing powers groupies should be on the look out for all sorts of opportunities showing his presence. 

Here's hoping the show might do something cool like this and give Bran an extra dimension regards his powers.  We need something after they seem to have robbed him of any feelings.  :cheers:      

Brilliant idea!  So Bran could be spying on the other spies using his chosen medium!  When I heard the raven caws together with the camera on Littlefinger, I thought perhaps he had sent a raven scroll to Cersei betraying Sansa, but I much prefer it to have been Bran admiring his sister's martial arts skills, while keeping a beady eye on Littlefinger.

Edited by ravenous reader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

Brilliant idea!  So Bran could be spying on the other spies using his chosen medium!  When I heard the raven caws together with the camera on Littlefinger, I thought perhaps he had sent a raven scroll to Cersei betraying Sansa, but I much prefer it to have been Bran admiring his sister's martial arts skills, while keeping a beady eye on Littlefinger.

Why thank you.  :D

The main idea flying around in the live chat for that episode was that it was a raven carrion a message.  I suggested Bran but it was either lost in the stream of comments or everyone thought otherwise.  It may also help answer the question of 'how is Bran able to see stuff away from the weirwoods' etc.  Although they seem to be going with the 'he can see everything' idea, this could add some meat to that bone.  Let's hope so anyway.  :)   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Wizz-The-Smith said:

Why thank you.  :D

The main idea flying around in the live chat for that episode was that it was a raven carrion a message.  I suggested Bran but it was either lost in the stream of comments or everyone thought otherwise.  It may also help answer the question of 'how is Bran able to see stuff away from the weirwoods' etc.  Although they seem to be going with the 'he can see everything' idea, this could add some meat to that bone.  Let's hope so anyway.  :)   

At this point, my faith in the D's remaining true to the spirit of the book source material is fading; however, it would fit nicely with the following passages which seem to support the idea of Bran the spying raven:

Quote

A Dance with Dragons - Bran III

"All," Lord Brynden said. "It was the singers who taught the First Men to send messages by raven … but in those days, the birds would speak the words. The trees remember, but men forget, and so now they write the messages on parchment and tie them round the feet of birds who have never shared their skin."

Old Nan had told him the same story once, Bran remembered, but when he asked Robb if it was true, his brother laughed and asked him if he believed in grumkins too. He wished Robb were with them now. I'd tell him I could fly, but he wouldn't believe, so I'd have to show him. I bet that he could learn to fly too, him and Arya and Sansa, even baby Rickon and Jon Snow. We could all be ravens and live in Maester Luwin's rookery.

 

Quote

A Dance with Dragons - The Prince of Winterfell

"I take this man," the bride said in a whisper.

All around them lights glimmered through the mists, a hundred candles pale as shrouded stars. Theon stepped back, and Ramsay and his bride joined hands and knelt before the heart tree, bowing their heads in token of submission. The weirwood's carved red eyes stared down at them, its great red mouth open as if to laugh. In the branches overhead a raven quorked.

I suppose that's how Bran watched the nitty gritty of the wedding night unfold...

Quote

A Dance with Dragons - The Prince of Winterfell

"With your mouth," Lord Ramsay said. "And be quick about it. If she's not wet by the time I'm done disrobing, I will cut off that tongue of yours and nail it to the wall."

Somewhere in the godswood, a raven screamed. The dagger was still in his hand.

He sheathed it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ravenous reader said:

At this point, my faith in the D's remaining true to the spirit of the book source material is fading; however, it would fit nicely with the following passages which seem to support the idea of Bran the spying raven:

Quote

A Dance with Dragons - Bran III

"All," Lord Brynden said. "It was the singers who taught the First Men to send messages by raven … but in those days, the birds would speak the words. The trees remember, but men forget, and so now they write the messages on parchment and tie them round the feet of birds who have never shared their skin."

Old Nan had told him the same story once, Bran remembered, but when he asked Robb if it was true, his brother laughed and asked him if he believed in grumkins too. He wished Robb were with them now. I'd tell him I could fly, but he wouldn't believe, so I'd have to show him. I bet that he could learn to fly too, him and Arya and Sansa, even baby Rickon and Jon Snow. We could all be ravens and live in Maester Luwin's rookery.

Nice!  Cool post, I love that quote, and yes, it does fit nicely with Bran the spying the raven. 

1 hour ago, ravenous reader said:
Quote

A Dance with Dragons - The Prince of Winterfell

"I take this man," the bride said in a whisper.

All around them lights glimmered through the mists, a hundred candles pale as shrouded stars. Theon stepped back, and Ramsay and his bride joined hands and knelt before the heart tree, bowing their heads in token of submission. The weirwood's carved red eyes stared down at them, its great red mouth open as if to laugh. In the branches overhead a raven quorked.

I suppose that's how Bran watched the nitty gritty of the wedding night unfold...

Quote

A Dance with Dragons - The Prince of Winterfell

"With your mouth," Lord Ramsay said. "And be quick about it. If she's not wet by the time I'm done disrobing, I will cut off that tongue of yours and nail it to the wall."

Somewhere in the godswood, a raven screamed. The dagger was still in his hand.

He sheathed it.

Wow, for me this really highlights how clumsy and heartless the writing was in the Bran and Sansa scene.  Although still horrible, the subtlety of the raven screaming and quorking will give the careful reader the insinuation of Bran's presence without such blunt and distasteful dialogue.

Nice catch all the same, I agree it certainly supports this idea.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Bran Raven Scene: 

The best moments of the season!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

Another Bran Raven Scene: 

The best moments of the season!

In the end, he's going to have to skinchange something a little bigger than a raven...;)

Luckily, Bran's already had some practice skinchanging an 'ice giant':

Quote

A Dance with Dragons - Bran I

Bran never said the words aloud, but they were often on his lips as their ragged company trudged through groves of ancient oaks and towering grey-green sentinels, past gloomy soldier pines and bare brown chestnut trees. Are we near? the boy would wonder, as Hodor clambered up a stony slope, or descended into some dark crevice where drifts of dirty snow cracked beneath his feet. How much farther? he would think, as the great elk splashed across a half-frozen stream. How much longer? It's so cold. Where is the three-eyed crow?

Swaying in his wicker basket on Hodor's back, the boy hunched down, ducking his head as the big stableboy passed beneath the limb of an oak. The snow was falling again, wet and heavy. Hodor walked with one eye frozen shut, his thick brown beard a tangle of hoarfrost, icicles drooping from the ends of his bushy mustache. One gloved hand still clutched the rusty iron longsword he had taken from the crypts below Winterfell, and from time to time he would lash out at a branch, knocking loose a spray of snow. "Hod-d-d-dor," he would mutter, his teeth chattering.

The sound was strangely reassuring. On their journey from Winterfell to the Wall, Bran and his companions had made the miles shorter by talking and telling tales, but it was different here. Even Hodor felt it. His hodors came less often than they had south of the Wall. There was a stillness to this wood like nothing Bran had ever known before. Before the snows began, the north wind would swirl around them and clouds of dead brown leaves would kick up from the ground with a faint small rustling sound that reminded him of roaches scurrying in a cupboard, but now all the leaves were buried under a blanket of white. From time to time a raven would fly overhead, big black wings slapping against the cold air. Elsewise the world was silent.

The producers of the show get all the symbolism wrong -- Viserion should have lost one eye, just like wighted Waymar in the Prologue literally, and Hodor figuratively in the passage I quoted above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it me or did Bran recover like 1% when he was talking with Sam the healer?

They had great chemistry in just one scene, considering they had seen each other just once. They even had one weird conversation.-but still-a conversaion!- and he noticed that Bran was a bit different. We know Sam wants to cure people.

I would like to think that Sam the healer will heal Bran's mind. I also think they'll be the strategists in the war to come. And when everything is done, Bran might help Sam to write ASOIAF.

Edited by Meera of Tarth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A interview from Isaac on last episode and Bran's latter possible role in the series: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/08/29/we-talked-to-isaac-hempstead-wright-and-understand-brans-three-eyed-raven-powers-a-lot-better-now/?utm_term=.2dda0ca3ae90

Most interesting parts are: 

- This idea of Bran’s mind simultaneously existing all over history — never in one place at one time. Whenever he’s sitting anywhere he’s living through so many different timelines. 

That’s the thing, though. Bran doesn’t exactly know everything. It’s a bit ambiguous. It’s like he’s got a Kindle library of everything in his head but he hasn’t read through it all yet. Whereas the other Three-Eyed Raven has sat in a tree for 1,000 years and has been able to look it all up and now knows it all by heart. Bran doesn’t yet, so it’s not like he’s withholding information, it’s just that he doesn’t know where to look yet.

- Anyway, Bran is so dead set on his ultimate destiny, which I think is something to do with those White Walkers, that all this sort of petty squabbling around him isn’t bothering him that much until someone says, “oh, can you look this up?”

- I want to talk about what it would be like for Bran to meet up with Jaime Lannister. Do you think he’d forgive Jaime for paralyzing him? - Bran wouldn’t care on that front at all. I think it would be more interesting to see Jaime. The way Bran was able to freak out Littlefinger, I think he could definitely freak the f— out of Jaime. I’d also love to see that because from the first episode, it was obvious that Jaime was morally reprehensible — what a terrible man. And as it’s gone on, it’s like we really aren’t sure if he’s actually a good guy. So I think it would be interesting to see his reaction to the child he tried to murder unsuccessfully and see just how terrifying he’s become. Not that Bran would ever use his powers to kill Jaime or do any harm to him, but I think that would certainly freak Jaime out to think, “oh god, what have I done?” I reckon that would play on his conscience a bit.

- Where would you ideally like to see Bran end up? - Um … alive? Bran must be able to look up something important. He knows how the White Walkers were created. And especially since we’ve now seen how when you slash down a White Walker, some of the zombies die, so maybe if that information could get to Bran there’s something he could look up and understand more. I think Bran’s destiny will be involved somehow with the White Walkers especially since the Night King has an issue with the Three-Eyed Raven. Clearly Bran is in his sights as a target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tijgy said:

A interview from Isaac on last episode and Bran's latter possible role in the series: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/08/29/we-talked-to-isaac-hempstead-wright-and-understand-brans-three-eyed-raven-powers-a-lot-better-now/?utm_term=.2dda0ca3ae90

Most interesting parts are: 

- This idea of Bran’s mind simultaneously existing all over history — never in one place at one time. Whenever he’s sitting anywhere he’s living through so many different timelines. 

That’s the thing, though. Bran doesn’t exactly know everything. It’s a bit ambiguous. It’s like he’s got a Kindle library of everything in his head but he hasn’t read through it all yet. Whereas the other Three-Eyed Raven has sat in a tree for 1,000 years and has been able to look it all up and now knows it all by heart. Bran doesn’t yet, so it’s not like he’s withholding information, it’s just that he doesn’t know where to look yet.

- Anyway, Bran is so dead set on his ultimate destiny, which I think is something to do with those White Walkers, that all this sort of petty squabbling around him isn’t bothering him that much until someone says, “oh, can you look this up?”

- I want to talk about what it would be like for Bran to meet up with Jaime Lannister. Do you think he’d forgive Jaime for paralyzing him? - Bran wouldn’t care on that front at all. I think it would be more interesting to see Jaime. The way Bran was able to freak out Littlefinger, I think he could definitely freak the f— out of Jaime. I’d also love to see that because from the first episode, it was obvious that Jaime was morally reprehensible — what a terrible man. And as it’s gone on, it’s like we really aren’t sure if he’s actually a good guy. So I think it would be interesting to see his reaction to the child he tried to murder unsuccessfully and see just how terrifying he’s become. Not that Bran would ever use his powers to kill Jaime or do any harm to him, but I think that would certainly freak Jaime out to think, “oh god, what have I done?” I reckon that would play on his conscience a bit.

- Where would you ideally like to see Bran end up? - Um … alive? Bran must be able to look up something important. He knows how the White Walkers were created. And especially since we’ve now seen how when you slash down a White Walker, some of the zombies die, so maybe if that information could get to Bran there’s something he could look up and understand more. I think Bran’s destiny will be involved somehow with the White Walkers especially since the Night King has an issue with the Three-Eyed Raven. Clearly Bran is in his sights as a target.

I liked thepart of Jaime

and also, they say that there's still his personality, so maybe with time he will become like the other 3 eyed?

(sorry, I had written a longer essay but the site went down and lost everything)

Edited by Meera of Tarth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×