The Expanse #2: Caliban's Thread - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

9 hours ago, red snow said:

This can only be a good thing for the show as season one had a bizarre schedule and netflix is easily accessible. Hope it boosts the visibility of the show

Truth.  I still don't understand why they didn't try to get it onto Netflix within 6 months of the season ending (nor why they're not putting on US Netflix now).  That would have been huge.

13 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Truth.  I still don't understand why they didn't try to get it onto Netflix within 6 months of the season ending (nor why they're not putting on US Netflix now).  That would have been huge.

Yeah, I really don't get it. Tons of people still don't know about this show.

US Netflix would've been a big boost for Season 2 interest as well.

On 12/10/2016 at 8:01 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

Amazon gave them much, much more money for the US rights.

This can be a little short-sighted, as Netflix have less money to spend than Amazon but far more capacity, and they can also get the show in front of tens of millions of people, which can massively amp up the viewing figures at home as well.

On 13/10/2016 at 4:23 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

According to Dan it will be available on Amazon Prime in the US, later this year.  So that's awesome.  Not as good as Netflix (although I would love to see the numbers on subscribers for Netflix versus Amazon Prime, and how many people have both), but damn good.

Students at work tend to have amazon prime but not netflix for the simple reason amazon prime has a "student" rate. It might be something Netflix should consider? Amazon UK also has pretty much everything that AMC makes in their library which is a nice draw.

still I'd imagine Netflix as a worldwide entity is hard to beat. If the goal is to get eyes on screens that's where I'd be wanting my shows.

Does netflix/amazon have other syfy shows? Dark Matter and killjoys for example?

12 minutes ago, red snow said:

Students at work tend to have amazon prime but not netflix for the simple reason amazon prime has a "student" rate. It might be something Netflix should consider? Amazon UK also has pretty much everything that AMC makes in their library which is a nice draw.

still I'd imagine Netflix as a worldwide entity is hard to beat. If the goal is to get eyes on screens that's where I'd be wanting my shows.

Does netflix/amazon have other syfy shows? Dark Matter and killjoys for example?

Season 1 of DM has been available for awhile on Netflix, and I think Amazon, too. But no Killjoys. A few others are available, as well. That miniseries Ascension, Helix, maybe 12 Monkeys.

On 10/12/2016 at 10:23 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

According to Dan it will be available on Amazon Prime in the US, later this year.  So that's awesome.  Not as good as Netflix (although I would love to see the numbers on subscribers for Netflix versus Amazon Prime, and how many people have both), but damn good.

That's good to know!  I have both services so either way works for me. On a broader scale, Prime isn't nearly as popular a service as Netflix but at least it's something.

I think Dark Matter popped up on Netflix about a month after season 1 ended.  It was stupid fast.  I bought the Blu-ray for The Expanse (and Killjoys) as soon as they were available to support the shows that way, but I would still love for them to be available on Netflix because so many people have it and then will search out subsequent seasons as they air.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Arkash said:

And there's the trailer : 

Nice. Makes you wonder how something isn't a hit just with the "BSG meets GOT" tag? Probably nudity and heavy promotion are the missing factors. One factor more readily admitted than the other.

I think the netflix/amazon streaming will help the show a lot.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

Nice. Makes you wonder how something isn't a hit just with the "BSG meets GOT" tag? Probably nudity and heavy promotion are the missing factors.

Uhm no, what's missing here is an interesting story, well told, with characters you are at least engaged by.

The reason it's probably not a hit is because it's not at all like BSG meets Game of Thrones. I see clear similarities to BSG, certainly, but it's all so much more inferior and less exciting.

This show recently came onto U.K. Netflix and I'm loving it so far. Everything about it interests me, and I'm in love with some of the actors and actresses on this show. I find the tensions between the Belters-Martians-Earthers a very compelling storyline, and I love seeing how all of these breads are slowly converging. I find myself sneaking another episode whenever I can. 

The UN lady sort of mesmerises me with her voice :lol: Shohreh Aghdashloo is pretty good in this. 

also funny seeing Jared Harris in this considering I'm just out of watching The Crown. Quite a difference in characters!

And for once I'm watching a show before reading the books. Shock horror! Do they hold up well against each other?

17 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

This show recently came onto U.K. Netflix and I'm loving it so far. Everything about it interests me, and I'm in love with some of the actors and actresses on this show. I find the tensions between the Belters-Martians-Earthers a very compelling storyline, and I love seeing how all of these breads are slowly converging. I find myself sneaking another episode whenever I can. 

The UN lady sort of mesmerises me with her voice :lol: Shohreh Aghdashloo is pretty good in this. 

also funny seeing Jared Harris in this considering I'm just out of watching The Crown. Quite a difference in characters!

And for once I'm watching a show before reading the books. Shock horror! Do they hold up well against each other?

I think the TV show is comfortably superior to the books (well, so far anyway), apart from Avasarala. The actress is brilliant but they can't make her as sweary as they do in the books.

On 11/11/2016 at 8:30 AM, Calibandar said:

Uhm no, what's missing here is an interesting story, well told, with characters you are at least engaged by.

The reason it's probably not a hit is because it's not at all like BSG meets Game of Thrones. I see clear similarities to BSG, certainly, but it's all so much more inferior and less exciting.

I was going to object, but now that I think about it, the first few seasons of BSG were far superior to the first season of the Expanse.

Archived