The Expanse #2: Caliban's Thread - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

I had thought the books were well received. But that was just on end ormtwo opinions,  didn't do an in depth search. 

Somehow I only have two episodes left. Oops. I was somewhat surprised when Julie showed up dead at the end of this episode. Part of me expected them to finding her alive, somehow. Excited for the final two episodes. A friend of mine was watching these alongside me but binge drinking the last two episodes without me. Wondering what the proper response to this heinous breach of trust is

This view of the books is not universal Helena, I fucking love them. Leviathan Wakes is a little limited in being focused on Holden and Miller, but it maintains tension and the climax about as well as anything I've read at a breakneck pace through the second half of the first book. And Dan+Ty have only gotten better at writing together since then, even if I didn't enjoy the story of the 4th as much.

I purchased all the books after watching the show - while the books were great, they certainly didn't blow my hair back, not like Martin's books did after reading those about 5 shows into the first GoT season.  I would still recommend them, again, they ARE great IMO, but not something I'd obsess over.

I just rewatched The Expanse on Portugal's Netflix catalogue.  I really enjoyed it the 2nd time, and have a new appreciation for their art and effects department I sort of..missed I guess the first time around.  Truly fantastic.

I agree regarding BSG, Ronald Moore has been a favorite of mine since the DS9 days, glad to see him - and some fellow writers/producers  from DS9 - do so well with their new Outlander program.

The show released the pilot in the US a while before the rest of the season.  I watched the pilot and then devoured the books before the next episode aired.  I loved them, thought they were great, thoroughly enjoyable.  For a while I was actually recommending the books to everyone I knew who liked that genre and most people who read also enjoyed the series.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/11/2016 at 10:10 PM, denstorebog said:

The first seasons of BSG are superior to pretty much any sci-fi put to a screen, ever.

That said, there's a reason The Expanse was such a surprise hit. It's a rare example of adaptation being better than source material (and I even kinda enjoy the books).

Can't disagree about seasons 1&2 of BSG being way out in front for best sci-fi ever.

However times change, along with Interstellar to an extent and the Martian, The Expanse brought a refreshing grounding in the laws of physics with humanity using fusion power and obeying Newton's laws about how we speed up and slow down in the solar system.  No FTL, warp or blink drives is now my kind of SF.

They had to change a lot with season 1 from the books being nearly all from Miller and Holden POV, but they will find it tough going to match the quality of book 2.  Avarasala's foul cutting mouth I'm really looking forward to hearing!

Roll on Feb 1st!

• 2 weeks later...
On Wed Dec 07 2016 at 11:19 PM, SpaceChampion said:

Trailer #3:

(I seemingly cannot exit this text box to type below the quote ???)

The music in this trailer is terrible. Really hope it's one of those examples of some random track being stuck on a trailer which bears little resemblance to the actual feature. 

So, question about this thread without reading anything in it.

Since it's labeled as having book and TV spoilers... I'm a couple books behind in the series. I plan to read them at some point. Is this thread safe in that respect? Or will I need to avoid it to keep from seeing spoilers for the last two books?

4 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

So, question about this thread without reading anything in it.

Since it's labeled as having book and TV spoilers... I'm a couple books behind in the series. I plan to read them at some point. Is this thread safe in that respect? Or will I need to avoid it to keep from seeing spoilers for the last two books?

I would avoid it until you've at least read Nemesis Games.

39 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

By the way, why does Holden put the red phosphorus from a match into his coffee on the Canterbury?

I think it had to do with how bad the coffee was and he was trying to improve in any possible way.

Archived