The Expanse #2: Caliban's Thread - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

Rereading book 1 and watching the first episode now. I lot of decisions in the TV show leave me puzzled. Why would the Cant burn so hard as to jeopardize the ship in order to answer the distress beacon? 

When the Knight is attacked by missiles by the bad guys (another microannoyment making the torpedoes “miss” the Knight to get to the Canterbury makes absolutely no sense, and I’m not sure the TV version is better drama than the book version) we hear that the enemy is 12-thousand klicks away, but the Knight’s display has them at 12 km, and so do the visuals. That is a mistake by a factor 1000, for crying out loud. These small annoyances take no extra effort to get right, and just signal “sloppy production” to me. Either there are absolutely no numerate, scientifically literate people involved in the production at all (which I don’t believe) or there are no error-correction channels. If the latter, I find that inexcusable for a production that aims to have geeks geek out.

Grumble-grumble. 

1 hour ago, Happy Ent said:

Rereading book 1 and watching the first episode now. I lot of decisions in the TV show leave me puzzled. Why would the Cant burn so hard as to jeopardize the ship in order to answer the distress beacon?

Probably because with orbital mechanics you either burn the required thrust to intercept and then match velocities with the thing you want to get to or you don't bother going at all.  No other thrust would get them there.

23 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Was it the entire episodes or just a portion?

Just a portion. Looks like it's part of the two-parter will see, a nice action sequence with the whole gang.

11 hours ago, Happy Ent said:

When the Knight is attacked by missiles by the bad guys (another microannoyment making the torpedoes “miss” the Knight to get to the Canterbury makes absolutely no sense, and I’m not sure the TV version is better drama than the book version) we hear that the enemy is 12-thousand klicks away, but the Knight’s display has them at 12 km, and so do the visuals. That is a mistake by a factor 1000, for crying out loud. These small annoyances take no extra effort to get right, and just signal “sloppy production” to me. Either there are absolutely no numerate, scientifically literate people involved in the production at all (which I don’t believe) or there are no error-correction channels. If the latter, I find that inexcusable for a production that aims to have geeks geek out.

Grumble-grumble. 

I wanted to argue this point with you, because surely such a display would have a scale factor, normally written on the side, because no one wants to have their screens overwhelmed with long numbers, like 100,000,000 km. But then I realized that the unit of measure should also be off to the side in that case, and not written next to the modified number, because that would create confusion. If all it said was "Distance: 12" then it would have been ok. But I'm not annoyed because I didn't notice this stuff until you pointed them out.

To further add to your grumble, they were also tracking the distance of the torpedoes as they were closing in, but after they pass, the screen shows no display of distance between the Knight and the torpedoes as they move away. So either the Knight has a shitty tracking system or... enjoy more grumbling. :)

6 hours ago, Corvinus said:

If all it said was "Distance: 12" then it would have been ok. But I'm not annoyed because I didn't notice this stuff until you pointed them out.

There is a deeper issue at work. Distances really aren’t super-interesting. What is interesting is the time to impact (at current acceleration). That is what the screen should report, and that is what they should shout to each other. It’s at least as dramatic.

On 24/01/2017 at 7:27 PM, Happy Ent said:

Thank you Kar, this is extremely helpful. I tried to add additional notes about motivation and factions, and already feel I’m on thin ice: 

True/false: The MCRC Donnager is dispatched to Phoebe by an unsuspecting Martian republic just to check out weird stuff around Phoebe. Mars knows nothing about the protomolecule. 

True/false: The Butcher sends the Martian-built, OPA-controlled freighter Scopuli to intercept/destroy/board the Anubis because … what? Does the OPA know about the molecule? (There was a scene about that in the show. The book is too far gone in my mind to remember whether this was addressed.)

True/false: The fact that the (boarded and evacuated) Scopuli would be used as a trap to have somebody (in fact, our Heroes) falsely accuse MCRC of destroying the Canterbury is just a lucky piece of improvisation by the Protogen people.

Corvinus already mostly answered, but chiming in after forgetting to come back to the thread for a week -

1 - True. Mars knows Phoebe station has gone dark and knows nothing more, Donnager is dispatched and finds the place torched with nothing to clue them into what happened. This is true in the show and it fits the book perfectly.

2 - Partially true. I don't remember anything about the Scopuli being Martian built necessarily, or at least its not a plot point. It is an OPA freighter though. The Butcher "sending" them is also stronger than I'm convinced of because it ignores internal OPA politics, but its also where I think a change may have happened from the book. In the book I think Johnson is aware of the mission, and going to receive intelligence from it, but didn't order it - I think that was Dawes and it was under heavy pressure from Juliet herself. In the show I think Johnson was more involved in the decision making. Its not explicit in the book that they knew what was going on, in the show they got the intelligence via Julie's contacts so I don't think it was deliberately fed to them - they weren't expecting her to be on the Scopuli in the book or the show, which relates to the third question. They also don't know *what* is on the Anubis, just that its an advanced weapon being transported.

3 - True/maybe true - In the show I think its definitely presented as opportunistic. In the books its not actually clear the OPA were even en route to ambush the Anubis or if they were just travelling somewhere else and ambushed out of the blue (can provide the passage suggesting this if you want) - which leaves it quite open that the entire thing is planned to take an OPA ship and set up an ambush specifically for the Canterbury.

On 31/01/2017 at 3:57 AM, Happy Ent said:

1 - The Cant had to burn that hard to match orbit with the Scopuli, doing it slower would have resulted in them being much farther off course and delaying that much more.

2 - I think its just the presentation from our heroes POV that makes it appear the torpedoes miss the Knight - the Knight and the Scopuli are right inbetween the Anubis and the Cant, they think they've been fired upon and respond as such but the torpedoes go straight past them to the Cant. Maybe its not actually presented this way, but I'm a lot happier believing thats all it was.

3 - Yeah that's just a production mistake. They should probably use kkm if they want to still use "km" - its not technically correct but I most non-geek viewers would still figure out what was meant easier than using Mm and Gm. Remember that the primary audience here is the US who still don't even use metric, even if science geeks do.

The OPA is not really hierarchical, I don't think.  Sure, it has public representatives like Johnson, and strategic leaders like Dawses, but most of it is organized into cells who decide their own actions and recruit help from the network.  I think Julie decided for herself to go after the Scopuli and needed Dawses to recruit a ship and a crew.  She also must have directly found out by reading stuff at home on Earth in her father's files something strange was going on on Phoebe and there was going to be a human experiment on Eros.  That's what started her whole journey, if I understand correctly.

Is the second season not on in the US tonight? Or have I misunderstood something?

Currently there seems to be no news about Netflix availability. Grumble-grumble.

We need to set up a tightbeam, bouncing the signal off Luna.

19 minutes ago, Happy Ent said:

Is the second season not on in the US tonight? Or have I misunderstood something?

Currently there seems to be no news about Netflix availability. Grumble-grumble.

We need to set up a tightbeam, bouncing the signal off Luna.

Season 2 premieres tonight on SyFy. No idea about Netflix or other streams.

Nice start to the season. I appreciated the summary and explanations of the goings-on through character dialogue. My recollection from the books and first season are a little foggy.

Have we seen Fred's second-in-command in the books or first season? I don't remember her.

Since it seems other boarders may not be able to view the episodes as soon as others, I'll just put this in spoilers.

Spoiler

I loved the raid on the science station at the end. It happened sooner than I was expecting, but was great to see the Rocinante in action again.

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

Have we seen Fred's second-in-command in the books or first season? I don't remember her.

Reddit says that's Sam Rosenburg, but I don't recall that character being Fred's second.  She was just a kick-ass engineer.  Might have been in season 1 getting the data off the flash-chip with the Donnager's scan of the stealth ships.

I think Avasarala's spy is new...

34 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Reddit says that's Sam Rosenburg, but I don't recall that character being Fred's second.  She was just a kick-ass engineer.  Might have been in season 1 getting the data off the flash-chip with the Donnager's scan of the stealth ships.

I think Avasarala's spy is new...

The spy is new to the show but

Spoiler

was in Caliban's war as head of Avasarala's security when she was forced to board and Mao's luxury yacht to get her out of the way - Cotyar (sp?).  Avasarala refers to him by name when she meets him in the show.  In the book, he coordinated eventually with Bobbie, guarding Ava  with his men while Bobbie gained control of the ship.  His catchphrase in the book was "as you say," or something like that.

And yeah if that's Sam,

Spoiler

she's quite different.  I can't see the TV show Sam calling a breach in a ship's hull a "boo boo" like book Samara Rosenberg.

Damn it. Netflix UK won't be airing season 2 until April/May now. I guess I could wait and watch it all as a binge view - part of me thinks the show might work better that way  so might be worth a shot.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Damn it. Netflix UK won't be airing season 2 until April/May now. I guess I could wait and watch it all as a binge view - part of me thinks the show might work better that way  so might be worth a shot.

Where you getting this from? If true, that totally sucks.

Ah well, ha-har, me hearties! 

ETA: The Netflix UK twitter account is steadfastly refusing to answer all questions regarding this. 

Archived