The Expanse #2: Caliban's Thread - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

4 minutes ago, Khaleesi did nothing wrong said:

Ahh, right. I had forgotten about the time frames involved. Most Belters aren't recent arrivals, and maybe they didn't always have basic income back on Earth. Makes sense. 

Yeah. I think Miller's partner also explains why - he wanted adventure, to try new things, and to actually have a shot at a job. Same with Bull. Why do people drop an engineering job to become a masseuse? 

1 hour ago, Khaleesi did nothing wrong said:

Mmh. That reminds me though, why would people even move to the Belt? It appears that everyone gets free NEETbux on Earth, so why would people choose to do poorly paid manual labor out in the Asteroid fields? Are living standards for those jobless individuals on Earth even lower than they are for Belters? 

Adventure.  Job opportunities.  Etc.  Basic is just basic.  Enough to survive.  Housing, food, medical care, basic education.  We saw that a lot of people fell through the cracks or still chose to live in tents under bridges rather than the basic housing.  People are always going to want opportunity even when their basic needs are met.  I imagine if that guy Bobbie met were offered a chance at med school in the Belt, he'd probably take it.  

13 hours ago, Khaleesi did nothing wrong said:

That situation could easily reverse itself in the future if some conditions change, though. For example, presumably one of the big reasons for the low birth rates in the developed world right now is that child rearing takes up too time when both parents have to work. Hence why developed countries with more generous maternity/paternity leave policies and access to kindergartens and so on, have higher birth rates than those that don't. 

In a future where the majority of people don't even have any jobs to go to, that might not be much of an issue anymore. 

What I found more unrealistic in the show was rather the very primitive conditions that the Belters seemed to work in. A lot of the stuff they do looks like the kinds of 20th century industrial jobs that are already being replaced by robots in our societies, nevermind how things will look like 250 (?) years from now. If automation has eliminated most jobs on Earth, which seems to be the case, I wonder why the same thing hasn't happened to the Belt? 

Anyway, I really liked the show, and it does feel a lot more realistic overall than most Science Fiction series. Are the books worth reading as well? 

The books are good. Tho for me it is deja vu. Robert Heinlein was writing kind of the same thing in the 1950s, a number of authors were. A little later Larry Niven had 'belters' in his stories 1960's. In fact story borrows from Niven for the ideas of asteroid mining.

Would not  necessary  need robots , but yeah I could see more automated machinery , which is a kind of equivalent robot. Well it's dramatic license , the level of space flight technology in the story implies there would be even more high tech instrumentality than we see.

• 3 weeks later...

So I started reading the books and I like them. The world building is more developed than in the series, and it fills in some blanks I had. 

However, I am bothered a bit by the dialogues. Too many characters come off like they don't take things seriously*, and speak in jargons that sound more like 20 year old college students hanging out with friends than military officers on duty, or whatever they are supposed to be. I think the TV show does a better job in that regard. 

*Which is especially jarring when you consider the things they go through.

• 2 months later...
47 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Elizabeth Mitchell cast for season 3, probably as Rev. Dr. Annushka "Anna" Volovodov.  Getting into's Abaddon's Gate looks like.

David Strathairn also cast.  Any ideas who he might be?  Not Bull, surely.

Asshole Belter Captain of the Behemoth, perhaps? Or the asshole security head who ends up being the primary planetside antagonist? Can't remember either character's name at the moment.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Asshole Belter Captain of the Behemoth, perhaps? Or the asshole security head who ends up being the primary planetside antagonist? Can't remember either character's name at the moment.

Yeah my guess for David Strathairn would also be Ashford, the insecure and eventually insane captain of the Behemoth in Abaddon's Gate.

The security chief who ends up being the primary antagonist on Ilus in Cibola Burn is Murtry, but unless they really change things around, that still feels like it's a season away.

5 minutes ago, Wethers said:

Yeah my guess for David Strathairn would also be Ashford, the insecure and eventually insane captain of the Behemoth in Abaddon's Gate.

The security chief who ends up being the primary antagonist on Ilus in Cibola Burn is Murtry, but unless they really change things around, that still feels like it's a season away.

Ah, good call. I kind of mashed those two books together. 

I'm a bit frustrated that this still hasn't aired on netflix uk yet. Does Syfy/owners of this show not want it to succeed outside North America or is this some weird UK specific thing?

It's damaging to the show as I was all geared up for watching it when it aired in the US but figured I'd wait for it to air in the UK because that's actually supporting the show. Now I'm stuck in a bit of a limbo as the urge to watch has lowered because there's 23 pages of discussion here and I'm out of the loop.

VPN for the next season at this rate.

I took recurring to mean multi season so was thinking someone that comes into it later being introduced earlier, with that in mind I thought bringing in Dutarte earlier could make sense. Bring him in for the escalation at the end of Caliban's so the audience knows him later on. It could just be Ashford as well though.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm a bit frustrated that this still hasn't aired on netflix uk yet. Does Syfy/owners of this show not want it to succeed outside North America or is this some weird UK specific thing?

It's owned by Alcon Entertainment, who syndicate it in U.S. to SyFy and Amazon Prime and Netflix (outside North America & NZ).  Canada gets it airing on Space and streaming on CraveTV.

Season 1 will be available to stream for Netflix members outside of North America and New Zealand beginning November 3, with Season 2 slated for 2017. Legendary Global TV Distribution acquired the international distribution rights to the series from Alcon TV Group in 2014.

I'd guess November in the UK, right?

Anybody else when they see the name Volovodov, do you want to respond with "Mah Na Mah Na"?

6 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

It's owned by Alcon Entertainment, who syndicate it in U.S. to SyFy and Amazon Prime and Netflix (outside North America & NZ).  Canada gets it airing on Space and streaming on CraveTV.

I'd guess November in the UK, right?

Anybody else when they see the name Volovodov, do you want to respond with "Mah Na Mah Na"?

Thanks for the info. Poor syfy UK must feel pretty redundant these days.

I can understand them not showing it until it aired the whole season but it's been several months since it finished airing which leaves me scratching my head at the UK release. Surely Blu-ray/dvd sales aren't an issue anymore? Ah, Ok - just checked and season 1 is on blu-ray with no sign of season 2 so maybe the blu-ray goes on sale first?

Anyway it's a pretty dated approach for distributing a show. I'd have thought the UK was still a decent market to crack but maybe I'm thinking from the wrong perspective and maybe none of the UK channels were willing to pay more to have it sooner.

All right... This may be the stupidest of all the stupid questions, but am I right to think that Belters are from Asteroid Belt between Mars and Jupiter and not from the Kuiper Belt? I never got that deep into the astronomy of the show, but it may have been a mistake...

10 minutes ago, Risto said:

All right... This may be the stupidest of all the stupid questions, but am I right to think that Belters are from Asteroid Belt between Mars and Jupiter and not from the Kuiper Belt? I never got that deep into the astronomy of the show, but it may have been a mistake...

That's correct.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

That's correct.

I was back and forth with this one... At first I thought it was Kuiper, and then the common sense suggested it was actually Asteroid Belt, so I thought that's that. And then today had the discussion with one of my friends who argued it was Kuiper, so I had to ask :D 

5 minutes ago, Risto said:

I was back and forth with this one... At first I thought it was Kuiper, and then the common sense suggested it was actually Asteroid Belt, so I thought that's that. And then today had the discussion with one of my friends who argued it was Kuiper, so I had to ask :D 

Ceres is a dwarf planet in the asteroid belt. The Kuiper belt has Pluto and a lot of icy bodies. Since a lot of the story is on Ceres, that should settle the debate.

Archived