The Expanse #2: Caliban's Thread - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Where you getting this from? If true, that totally sucks.

Ah well, ha-har, me hearties! 

ETA: The Netflix UK twitter account is steadfastly refusing to answer all questions regarding this. 

Just a few sites after a google search. The most convincing aspect for me was them mentioning season 2 wasn't mentioned in any of the "on netflix in february" channels. It seems an odd decision if true but maybe it was part of the deal with syfy? Usually with non-netflix shows they air on a weekly basis eg "better call Saul" and it's not like watching it in the UK will affect US viewing figures. Unless people are changing their IP address to get access to UK netflix?

I'll give it a few days to see if anything solid turns up from netflix uk on a release date/schedule before donning an eye patch and parrot.

7 minutes ago, red snow said:

Just a few sites after a google search. The most convincing aspect for me was them mentioning season 2 wasn't mentioned in any of the "on netflix in february" channels. It seems an odd decision if true but maybe it was part of the deal with syfy? Usually with non-netflix shows they air on a weekly basis eg "better call Saul" and it's not like watching it in the UK will affect US viewing figures. Unless people are changing their IP address to get access to UK netflix?

I'll give it a few days to see if anything solid turns up from netflix uk on a release date/schedule before donning an eye patch and parrot.

It seems to me that if this show fails, it won't be through lack of interest. Whoever is responsible for the prehistoric distribution strategy needs to be dragged into the 21st century. They're asking to be pirated. 

16 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

It seems to me that if this show fails, it won't be through lack of interest. Whoever is responsible for the prehistoric distribution strategy needs to be dragged into the 21st century. They're asking to be pirated. 

I agree. A few friends became quite excited when they found it on netflix and were fooled into thinking it was a genuine netflix show (which nowadays is a sign of quality). I'd also think that overseas reception/sales would figure into whether a show was worth another season or not rather than waiting a while. I'm sure overseas sales isn't insignificant - I know BBC shows often sink or swim based on how easily they can export the show to other countries or distributors.

3 hours ago, Happy Ent said:

We need Holden to broadcast it to the whole system. Otherwise: rocks will fall.

Very good :)

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Ducking in to ask: when is this on UK Netflix? I thought I read it was weekly, a day or so after the US airing? Now I've read something else that says it'll drop all at once?

some links binge release in April/May similar deal in australia and a third source.

I think it's pretty certain we won't be seeing it in the UK until season 2 finishes airing in the States.

35 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I'm fu**ing pissed about this.

I was looking forward today to watching The Expanse legally the evening... but I guess not. Thanks Netflix, I'm not sure why I'm paying you anymore.

It just makes everyone concerned look a bit rubbish when they call it a Netflix Original, but are not allowed to show it until it's finished airing on SyFy. This was obviously an executive decision, though by whom remains to be seen.

Anyway, I just watched it. VPN, baby. And it totally still rocks. This show has the zeitgeist by the bollocks and is twisting hard. The whole world could be talking about this Amazing Fucking Show that should be a lesson to us all. But, once again, everyone outside of America is left bitching.

Uhhhhh,  so something happened in the premiere but i get the feeling we'll have to wait till the season finale before anything else happens.    The burst of specific info about the scary blue tech weapon was nice to get and wasnt really expected.   But other than that the show has a surprisingly narrow focus and slow moving approach.   "We're a bunch of miserable sad sacks in space" isnt really motivating me to get addicted to this one or to see it as an 'expansive' or awe-worthy universe.   Its basically that one equation, being on the brink of war.  Okay i get it, youre on the brink of war.   Uhhhhhhhhh......  got some non-mopes to focus on while we're at the brink?  or world building details to add some more bigness back into things?   Like what about those couple hours a week when people take a break from unrest or war room briefings.   They shut all that stuff off.

I guess entertainment is subjective.... personally I love this show, and I Ioved the S2 premiere.... the JP Mao reveal... the Amos/Miller brawl, and subsequent bonding... the Bobbie Draper introduction.... the failed assassination.... The space station invasion...  and my favorite thing about this show is the politics, which gives depth to everything else...

14 hours ago, red snow said:

Very good :)

some links binge release in April/May similar deal in australia and a third source.

I think it's pretty certain we won't be seeing it in the UK until season 2 finishes airing in the States.

This is total bullshit. Why are they doing this? Do they NOT want anyone outside of the US to see it? I'm not bothering with it anymore.

11 minutes ago, Isis said:

This is total bullshit. Why are they doing this? Do they NOT want anyone outside of the US to see it? I'm not bothering with it anymore.

Which is exactly why it's such a stupid idea. We're long past the time where we happily sat by and waited 3 months for X-Files or TNG to air in UK. Mainly because we have the option to "lose interest" or "obtain by other means". It actually reminds me of the days where I'd wonder at how SFX magazine had all the spoilers (which it had in a sealed section within the magazine) when all the did was have someone watching it in the US.

I still suspect this is a syfy thing and not Netflix given their other programs. If so it highlights how incompetent syfy is when they get a decent show and totally fail in helping it succeed. BSG had to constantly fight its cult status because of poor distribution. I think UK had higher viewing figures because it was at least on a satellite channel most people had access to.

Hopefully CBS is watching how this unfolds and realising their plan of letting netflix air the new trek show everywhere except North America is wise. They better resist any temptation to have undue delays though.

For me I'm fine with the show getting a premier in the country of origin but that's probably because it means the US can watch their show while I'm asleep. I therefore don't see any reason why europeans should have to wait more than 24 hours to watch the same show.

2 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Perhaps the folks pulling the strings are Trump supporters. America first, AMERICA FIRST. :P (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

It had to be said. Didn't Obama use to ask for advance copies of "lost" back in the day?

I imagine Trump could empathise with Earth quite a lot in the show.

I don't know if it'll make you guys feel any better, but that does seem to be the standard model for when shows cross the pond and become NetFlix originals. BBC's The Fall and Happy Valley air on U.S. NetFlix as originals, for both the new seasons aren't available until they've already aired in the U.K. So I would imagine it's not just SyFy, but just how these deals are typically done. I can definitely relate to the frustration though, at this point uneven distribution does nothing but encourage piracy.

1 hour ago, matt b said:

I don't know if it'll make you guys feel any better, but that does seem to be the standard model for when shows cross the pond and become NetFlix originals. BBC's The Fall and Happy Valley air on U.S. NetFlix as originals, for both the new seasons aren't available until they've already aired in the U.K. So I would imagine it's not just SyFy, but just how these deals are typically done. I can definitely relate to the frustration though, at this point uneven distribution does nothing but encourage piracy.

I'd rather Amazon had got the show in that case as Uk amazon has a lot of US shows (vikings, black sails, outlander, mr robot etc) and they are all on air within 24 hours of the US every week.

I guess americans watching Taboo have to wait a couple of days so it seems outdated distribution is an international problem at times.

2 hours ago, matt b said:

Yup makes me think that us Americans won't be getting The Last Kingdom season 2 until after the whole thing has aired in UK

36 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Yup makes me think that us Americans won't be getting The Last Kingdom season 2 until after the whole thing has aired in UK

Maybe Brexit will make such transactions quicker ...

Archived