The Expanse #2: Caliban's Thread - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

She finally dropped the f-bomb, but SyFy had it censored. Here's hoping that any of the streaming services that show it later go uncensored. 

Well, the one I have watched was uncensored.

And as I understand she has quite the acerbic tongue in the books. 

Excellent start to the season. Loved Avasarala and her political games in these episodes. Good tempo and it iooks like LW will be finished around episode 4 as speculated. I guess Bobbie will go to Ganymede next and be there in time for when LW finishes.

Book 2:

Spoiler

I'm curious about how the protomolecule monsters will be fabricated though. Is Protogen getting samples from Eros now? Having fully formed monsters active right after Eros crashes into Venus doesn't seem feasible unless they have research going on right now.

I think events of the two books will probably be made to overlap a bit.  The experiments of Caliban's War probably started long before Protogen thought to do the Eros experiment.  The protagonists are just playing catch-up until the beginning of Abaddon's Gate.  I wouldn't be surprised the Ganymede incident happens before the conclusion of events with Eros.

Really have to say so : the "escalating" scenes (aka the UN war-council) were wonderful and tense as hell ! Loved everything about it ! Now, I look forward to learn more about Martian leaders... if ever, I still havent read the books so I'm going in there totally blind and I love it... well, I knew that a certain Bobby Draper was to be a major new character and knew a little bit about who she' supposed to be, but apart from that, my eyes are totally new to this universe. 

If I hadn't read the Vital Abyss I wouldn't have known who the scientist guy was. I'm glad they included him. And I think Bobby's stuff on Ganymede will be roughly at the same time as the final moments of Eros. It's nice that they bothered to give Bobby's squad backgrounds and a bit of character development.

Spoiler

Their deaths will have a bigger impact.

And Avasarala dropped the f-bomb again, this time not censored. 

One thing that I realized bothers me is the Belter accents. All the Belters have pretty much the same accents except for Naomi and Miller. I think that is a problem.

Was that one shot of the asteroid with red spots, Eros?

Nice to see we're getting to Ganymede shortly. I've found the scenes establishing Bobbie's leadership and prowess a bit heavy-handed and unnecessary. (The arm wrestling scene made me cringe.)We'll have enough scenes linked to the actual plot for her strengths to shine. Also, her fellow marines are really scrawny. I'm assuming it was intentional to stress Bobbie's size.

I'm anxious to see the Nauvoo and how it's handled :)

The scenes with Amos and the scientist were great.

One thing that I realized bothers me is the Belter accents. All the Belters have pretty much the same accents except for Naomi and Miller. I think that is a problem.

Nah, not all of them. Depends a lot on the belter. Same was true in the books - Miller had almost no accent, Naomi as well, others super thick one, others slightly different (like Dawes). Depends a lot on how much you grew up outside belter culture and interacted with others. For Miller, he worked with a lot of Ceres officials and people from all over. For Naomi, she fucked off away from her past. 

You see this in real life in America too - particularly in West Virginia. A lot of the more isolated folks have linguistic patterns and style that sounds like a Scottish accent as far as being impenetrable, but the folks in Charleston have a slight accent. 

4 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Nah, not all of them. Depends a lot on the belter. Same was true in the books - Miller had almost no accent, Naomi as well, others super thick one, others slightly different (like Dawes). Depends a lot on how much you grew up outside belter culture and interacted with others. For Miller, he worked with a lot of Ceres officials and people from all over. For Naomi, she fucked off away from her past. 

You see this in real life in America too - particularly in West Virginia. A lot of the more isolated folks have linguistic patterns and style that sounds like a Scottish accent as far as being impenetrable, but the folks in Charleston have a slight accent. 

English is not my first language, and after nearly 14 years of living in the US, for the most part in the same area, I still have an accent. I think it matters quite a lot of where you grow up, as a child you develop muscle memory that formulate how you speak. I also don't have a musical ear, so I'm not good at faking accents either.

Miller was born and bred on Ceres, and from what I understand he was mostly a gutter rat type in his childhood/youth, so he should have developed an accent like Diogo's. Sure, he might have forced himself to learn a new accent on account of job as you say. Naomi doesn't really have a reason to develop a different accent, she still mostly lived among Belters.

And I didn't hear much difference in accents between the likes of Dawes, Drummer, the guy who kept holding gatherings on Ceres, or the Black Sky guy that Fred spaced. It would have been nice if some Belter accents were a bit more different based on the stations - a Ceres accent, an Eros accent, and so on.

I am curious how the Ganymedeans will speak.

Naomi doesn't really have a reason to develop a different accent, she still mostly lived among Belters.

She leaves, she gets a major education, and she has a major story-based reason to change all of that and leave it behind. 

Her accent also gets thicker when talking with belters and thinner when not, which I've found is pretty realistic too. 

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

She leaves, she gets a major education, and she has a major story-based reason to change all of that and leave it behind. 

Her accent also gets thicker when talking with belters and thinner when not, which I've found is pretty realistic too. 

They do so many little things right on this show its amazing...

Amos' pedophile analogy was brilliant, as was their questioning of the scientist....and the subsequent explanation of the alien virus... as well as the creepy eros music.... things like this give the larger plot points  shit ton of perspective  

....  and that's why its among the best shows on TV....

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Miller was born and bred on Ceres, and from what I understand he was mostly a gutter rat type in his childhood/youth, so he should have developed an accent like Diogo's. Sure, he might have forced himself to learn a new accent on account of job as you say.

I would say that's exactly what happened.  And part of the reason why he's so scorned by other Belters as wanting to be an Earther.

45 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

They do so many little things right on this show its amazing...

Hide contents

Amos' pedophile analogy was brilliant, as was their questioning of the scientist....and the subsequent explanation of the alien virus... as well as the creepy eros music.... things like this give the larger plot points  shit ton of perspective  

....  and that's why its among the best shows on TV....

All of Amos' interactions with Cortazar were fantastic.  As was the look on his face after asking the doctor if Cortazar's lack of empathy could be fixed.

Did they destroy Deimos in the books, and I've just completely forgotten it?  Or was that new?  I literally have no recollection of that happening.  

13 hours ago, Corvinus said:

English is not my first language, and after nearly 14 years of living in the US, for the most part in the same area, I still have an accent. I think it matters quite a lot of where you grow up, as a child you develop muscle memory that formulate how you speak. I also don't have a musical ear, so I'm not good at faking accents either.

Miller was born and bred on Ceres, and from what I understand he was mostly a gutter rat type in his childhood/youth, so he should have developed an accent like Diogo's. Sure, he might have forced himself to learn a new accent on account of job as you say. Naomi doesn't really have a reason to develop a different accent, she still mostly lived among Belters.

And I didn't hear much difference in accents between the likes of Dawes, Drummer, the guy who kept holding gatherings on Ceres, or the Black Sky guy that Fred spaced. It would have been nice if some Belter accents were a bit more different based on the stations - a Ceres accent, an Eros accent, and so on.

I am curious how the Ganymedeans will speak.

I've lived in the United States my whole life and I have a bit of an accent. I've seen some people lose their accents completely within five years. Different people gain or lose accents at a different rate.

On 2/9/2017 at 2:36 PM, Corvinus said:

If I hadn't read the Vital Abyss I wouldn't have known who the scientist guy was. I'm glad they included him.

In addition to being the "protagonist" of Vital Abyss, Cortazar...

Spoiler

...appeared (on video) in the epilogue of Nemesis Games, the Sauveterre chapter.

I also think they've figured out what works better and what doesn't. This season, like GOT, they've gotten their voice a bit more and are emphasizing it. You see this in how they're doing the pacing of the various plotlines and arcing between them as well as the ending beats - ending 1/2 on Miller's shot, ending 3 on Eros speaking - they're much better on the dramatic endings. 

Being able to lean on the characters established tics instead of establishing them helps a ton, as you say. Amos/Alex are rocking it simply by being who they are, and Holden/Miller's characters being the reason for dramatic tension is itself a great value (instead of the first season, where it was largely how they reacted to external events). This season so far is a lot more about everyone doing more things instead of reacting to horrible things, and it helps tremendously. 

Archived