Good Omens, Mort and The City Watch

HexMachina

the remainder of the Good Omens Cast has been released

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1869454/

I managed to get zero correct out of my list of predictions :huh:

I have to say that I am mildly disheartened by the photos of Crowley and Aziraphale.  I was really hoping  for something modern and slick, set in today's London.  These dudes have been on earth forever, they should be a bit more fashion forward, me thinks.

13 hours ago, dog-days said:

I think the photos are supposed to be in the past though? Not the period when most of the show will take place. 

Correct - 11 years previously, to be precise - though I've no idea why they should be "modern and slick" - Is that "modern" like a 1926 Bentley?

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Correct - 11 years previously, to be precise - though I've no idea why they should be "modern and slick" - Is that "modern" like a 1926 Bentley?

a 1926 Bentley is a vintage classic that will forever be cool.  Skinny scarves and long hair or waistcoats, less so.

I was just hoping for an updated version, and not something off the set of Dr. Who.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

OK trailer - I enjoyed Aziraphale's "But I don't even like you!" 

Wish they'd just be a bit more precise about the release date. What if the apocalypse comes, and I still don't know when Good Omens is being released?? 

23 hours ago, dog-days said:

OK trailer - I enjoyed Aziraphale's "But I don't even like you!" 

Wish they'd just be a bit more precise about the release date. What if the apocalypse comes, and I still don't know when Good Omens is being released?? 

Apparently the BBC and Amazon are locking it down. Amazon get to show it first and then the BBC get to show it 6 months later, so it requires the BBC  to lock in a date and then Amazon release it 6 months ahead of time. They're also still in post, so they have to wait until that finishes.

My sense was that this was always going to be Spring on Amazon and then Autumn for the BBC.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have warned my wife to expect a zombie this weekend.  I plan on binging Good Omens over the next couple of nights since she still has no desire to watch it.  I know reviews have been so-so but this has been on my wish list for so long it will take a lot to disappoint me.

I went to a launch event in London on Wednesday which was great. It was supposed to by Kirsty Wark interviewing Neil Gaiman but they changed things so that both David Tennant and Michael Sheen could come along as well. It was hugely entertaining, they did live readings of scenes from the book they'd had to cut from the script and so forth. Very entertaining. One of the best bits was when the original actor playing the American Ambassador dropped out and they needed a replacement ASAP. Gaiman emailed Nick Offerman, whom he'd vaguely heard was a fan of the book, and asked him if he could fly from Los Angeles to South Africa in three days to be in it, and Offerman replied, "I'll pay for my own airfare." Later on one of the crew thanked him for flying so far for so few lines and he said, "I'd have flown a hell of a lot further for a lot fewer lines."

Halfway through Episode 3 (which contains allegedly the longest pre-credits sequence ever at 29 minutes) and it's pretty good. The two main complaints from the reviews are valid, namely that God's voiceover is a little too prevalent in the first episode, to the point of redundancy, and that the scenes without Sheen nor Tennant are a mixed bag. I think that's a problem inherited from the novel, where Anathema and Newton feel like they're supposed to be the protagonists but then Aziraphale and Crowley (originally the same character until Pratchett split them in half) took over. In the TV show, neither Anathema nor Newton show up until Episode 2. I think there's also an issue with tone: the music and jovial tone make it feel dangerously close to "twee," but then Dark Neil Gaiman suddenly shows up and we get an unexpectedly graphic depiction of the Crucifixion and people just being outright murdered, which tonally jars a little.

But Sheen and Tennant are a fantastic double act. Apparently a sequel is unlikely (Gaiman reckons he's about 50% of the way through writing Neverwhere II, which he needs to finish before doing something else, likely the American Gods sequel) but Pratchett came up with a title years ago which Gaiman would like to use one day: 667: Neighbour of the Beast.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Apparently a sequel is unlikely (Gaiman reckons he's about 50% of the way through writing Neverwhere II, which he needs to finish before doing something else, likely the American Gods sequel) but Pratchett came up with a title years ago which Gaiman would like to use one day: 667: Neighbour of the Beast.

That's probably for the best. I love both Gaiman and Pratchett's work, but I think both have said before that Pratchett wrote more of Good Omens than Gaiman (something like 60-40). A Gaiman-only sequel I'm sure would be good, but I wonder if it would really feel like Good Omens. I don't know for sure, but I suspect a lot of the more lighthearted elements of the book came from Pratchett.

I binged this yesterday and am somewhat of mixed mind - I'm increasingly impatient with television but I was more or less entertained by this throughout and only fell asleep for a little bit and was sad for it to end, so that's something, but its definitely also a mess. There's no real weight to any of it - even the central friendship just barely manages to earn some stakes - and everything else was meh, take it or leave it (Anathema in particular, who I remember quite liking in the novel, was just irritating here. No idea if it was the writing or the acting or what, but just unlikeable and dull.) But, like, fine - not tuning in for deep emotional fare here.

My bigger problem though is this trend of trying to do books to television literally, pardon the tortured vocabulary. Like, they're different mediums, y'all. These efforts (I AM LOOKING AT YOU, Lemony Snicket) to catch the irreverent or punny or whatever tone of a novel in a tv show with miles of narration or loads of screen captions or all the rest of it is just cheap and uninmaginative. Figure out different ways to arrive at what you're going for - with visuals, for example. Like its, you know, your job.

Archived