Good Omens, Mort and The City Watch

HexMachina

59 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

You link includes more announcements than that:

• Jo Eaton-Kent is Constable Cheery, a non-binary forensics expert, ostracized by their kin and finding a new home and identity.
  • Adam Hugill plays Constable Carrot, the idealistic new recruit, raised by dwarfs, but really a human abandoned at birth.
  • Marama Corlette is the mysterious Corporal Angua who is tasked with Carrot’s training and keeping the rookie alive.
  • Lara Rossi plays the formidable Lady Sybil Ramkin, last scion of Ankh-Morpork’s nobility, who’s trying to fix the city’s wrongs with her chaotic vigilantism.
  • Sam Adewunmi is the wounded and wronged Carcer Dun, out to hijack destiny itself, take control of the city and exact a terrible revenge on an unjust reality.

Headshots for all 6 here: https://www.therugbyforum.com/attachments/the-watch-jpg.7367/

Not being funny like but if Lara Rossi is the network's idea of the larger lady that Lady Sybil is meant to be... but then again the character description is nothing like her in any way. What the fuck.

The rest I have no comment on except that Richard Dormer is very good casting.

• 4 weeks later...

Better late than never, but I finished Good Omens last weekend.

I must say I feel a bit disappointed about it. Sure, I went in as a big fan of Michael Sheen and wanted to see him and Tennant play each other off and of course I got plenty of that, their chemistry was amazing and carried the show. Too bad that Aziraphael and Crowley didn't, at least plot-wise. As far as I can tell the idea that their plot barely brushes past the apocalypse while it's actually decided by Adam, Anathema and Newt seems to be something carried over from the books, but I think for that to work there should have been significant tweaks in terms of screen time and characterization. I felt the show barely paid attention to who characters other than Aziraphael and Crowley were and therefore all their actions seemed utterly random. Adam randomly becoming a conspiracy freak, Adam randomly going on a power trip and randomly coming back to his sense after his friends walk away and these friends randomly deciding to keep sticking around when he still acts utterly randomly. I guess the whole direction around Adam fell apart because I could hardly tell just how he knew where to go or why, he basically just made decisions that were only there to make the plot happen. Similarly Anathema and Newt, where at least Anathema had the excuse of just unquestioningly going with Agnes' prophecies. But both her and Newt still felt like very hollow characters and when they finally freed themselves from Agnes' predictions, I again couldn't tell why they did that and what they are doing from now on, especially since they are only a couple because Agnes told them to have sex or something.

So basically I got what I wanted, Sheen and Tennant having fun, but other than that the story felt very underwhelming.

On 9/11/2019 at 4:59 PM, polishgenius said:

Not being funny like but if Lara Rossi is the network's idea of the larger lady that Lady Sybil is meant to be... but then again the character description is nothing like her in any way. What the fuck.

The rest I have no comment on except that Richard Dormer is very good casting.

The Watch appears to have gone the same was as BBC America's last adaptation of a British SFF book, Dirk Gently. It's very much, "inspired by" as "directly based on". Dirk Gently could kind of get away with that because the source material was pretty thin and the TV show makes a nod to the events of the novels, suggesting they still happened (albeit with a younger Dirk Gently). The Watch is straight-up just changing a shitload of things for, apparently, the sheer hell of it. So Sybil as Catwoman, Angua as Carrot's mentor, Cheery and Angua apparently in the Watch from the start, absolutely no mention of Nobby and Colon etc. I'm starting to see why Rihanna Pratchett declined to be involved with it after a while.

It could be okay, but it's not going to be an adaptation of the novels, and the scriptwriters are, very clearly, not going to be better writers than Terry Pratchett, so this does not bode well.

• 1 month later...

Hmm, “Throat” seems a weird name.  Couldn’t she just be Dibbler if they want to cut out the broad humour.

All looks pretty good to me though.  Don’t really remember Doctor Cruces as a character but I do like Ingrid Oliver.

On 11/19/2019 at 6:09 PM, john said:

Hmm, “Throat” seems a weird name.  Couldn’t she just be Dibbler if they want to cut out the broad humour.

All looks pretty good to me though.  Don’t really remember Doctor Cruces as a character but I do like Ingrid Oliver.

He's only in Men At Arms, isn't he?

certainly does in it

TBH, probably the easiest to translate to telly if they're actually sticking to the books (even if only for the first couple of seasons) - "straight forward" murder-mystery

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

:rofl:That looks absolutely abysmal.

Aharhgh, the more they publicize this, the worse it gets.  Vimes looks like a Sons of Anarchy extra who wondered onto the Game of Thrones set by mistake.  Cheery isn't even a dwarf.  Lady Sybil is now a hot thin vigilante with a fondness for burning people alive?  If they were truly bravely casting they'd portray Sybil as written. 

Even if they'd stuck with a more hybrid steampunk aesthetic to save money, they still could have portrayed the books as written and it would have been fine. 

One less show I'll need to watch, I guess.

• 3 months later...

Terry Pratchett novels to get 'absolutely faithful' TV adaptations

On what would have been the late Discworld creator’s 72nd birthday, Terry Pratchett’s production company Narrativia has announced a new development deal to create “truly authentic … prestige adaptations that remain absolutely faithful to [his] original, unique genius”.

The deal will see Motive Pictures and Endeavor Content team up with Narrativia, which Pratchett launched in 2012, to make several series adaptations of the late author’s fantasy novels. There are currently no details of which books the partnership will tackle, though many of Pratchett’s books have been adapted before: Sky has dramatised Hogfather, The Colour of Magic and Going Postal; Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters have been turned into animations, and Good Omens, starring David Tennant as the demon Crowley and Michael Sheen as the angel Aziraphale, was recently aired on Amazon Prime and the BBC, to positive reviews.

“The spirit of this new alliance has been forged from a shared love of the source material and a commitment to create an epic series, which will kick off with some of the most iconic titles in Sir Terry’s fiercely incisive and satirical universe,” they said.

Pratchett’s daughter Rhianna, a co-director of Narrativia, said on Tuesday that Motive and Endeavor Content “perfectly share our vision” of what a Discworld screen adaptation should be.

“Discworld teems with unique characters, witty narrative and incredible literary tropes, and we feel these should be realised on screen in a form that my father would be proud of,” she said.

Wilkins, Narrativia’s managing director, said the new partnership meant that Discworld had “finally found its home”.

“The Discworld books are a huge source of joy to millions of readers, and rightly so; every paragraph, phrase and footnote was crafted with brilliance and flair and we are committed to bringing Terry’s world to the screen with the respect and care it deserves,” he said.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Will they be allowed to do the guard novels given another company is (to use the term loosely) adapting them?

Nope. The City Watch books are off the table.

However, I believe the rights to all of the previous adaptations (Wyrd Sisters, Soul MusicHogfatherThe Colour of MagicThe Light Fantastic and Going Postal) have reverted to the Pratchett estate, so they're free to do those again.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

However, I believe the rights to all of the previous adaptations (Wyrd Sisters, Soul MusicHogfatherThe Colour of MagicThe Light Fantastic and Going Postal) have reverted to the Pratchett estate, so they're free to do those again.

I still haven't read the Witches, might need to put that on my list. I do want them to do Going Postal cause it's great.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Bugger. Oh well by the time they do the first few books the city watch series may have been put out of our misery, and the rights revert.

Hope they do a fairhful Colour if magic adaptation. They cut so much out of the previos veesion. Felt like paint by nunbers

Archived