BBC Line of Duty [SPOILERS] s1 to present

red snow

Update: changed this to a general discussion spoiler thread. There's only a few of us and at 5 pages with 2 seasons it's not really worth a separate thread.

I think I start a thread forever this whenever a series comes out (series = season in uk). It's one of the best cop shows of the last few years and the third series is continuing the trend. Whereas series 2 could be watched in absence of 1, the third very much builds on previous stories.

If you like internal affairs and undercover cops/criminals the show is well worth a look. Series 3 really plays on the idea of the villain getting away with everything and the "good" cops being trampled. It makes me as a viewer invested in the hoped for downfall of the villain but it's the kind of show where it might not happen.

Great writing, cast and direction with some brilliant twists and cliffhangers - none of that fakeout Walking Dead BS.

I think it's airing in the US shortly but I'd advise starting from the beginning if possible. Each series consists of 6 1-hour episodes (proper hours as they don't have ads)

I'm fairly picky with my TV but rate this show very highly and depending how the remaining episodes pan out it's a good contender for favourite show of the year so far (Better Call Saul is tying with it).

Given i don't think it's in the US yet I thought it best to discuss in spoiler tags.

I can guess which scene you meant although she had several excellent scenes in that episode from beginning to end.

32 minutes ago, red snow said:

I can guess which scene you meant although she had several excellent scenes in that episode from beginning to end.

No doubt she owned s3e4,but yes i was referring to the scene where she kicks that creeper's ass (literally too haha)! :D

Spoiler

I've forgotten but who actually did put the bribe money in Denton's house in season 2 ? Was it Dot ?

2 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

I've not seen any of S3 yet, hopefully it's all on BBC iPlayer still, will try and catch up this week as I enjoyed the first 2 Series.

It's definitely worth it as this series they are tying things together a lot more. There was a useful 10 min catch up for the first 2 series as well, initially.

I just read they are doing a series 4 which has me thinking things are only going to get worse for the protagonists now.

2 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

No doubt she owned s3e4,but yes i was referring to the scene where she kicks that creeper's ass (literally too haha)! :D

Hide contents

I've forgotten but who actually did put the bribe money in Denton's house in season 2 ? Was it Dot ?

Yeah i love how the character can be put upon and look so weak yet constantly pulls those kinds of tricks.

it certainly has me wanting her to join forces with Steve.

as for your actual question

I have no idea. I must admit that I thought she was a bit dirty and assumed the money was cash she'd accepted. Now, I'm not so sure especially given she's part of that list.

It's one of the things I like about the show with regards to ambiguity. There are a lot of times I'm left thinking "did they do that? They're certainly capable of it. Did I forget seeing it or is it a lie?". I'd usually say it was sloppy TV (or my bad memory) but it's clearly very intentional here. Same goes for whether characters who appear completely clean maybe being dodgy

surely Hastings can't be involved in a potential masonic child abuse cover up? But there's that element of doubt never-the-less

As for the "villain"

I feel he's over-reaching now with his stitching up of Steve and think Steve and Kate (let alone super-admin cop Maneet - who needs a bigger role as I think she could close the case pronto with her excellent plot moving skills) are going to notice his bolder moves. I hope they go back to "hari" as he seems too much of a loose end given what he knows and he saw Dot injure himself to arrest him. Surely he's winding up dead soon? On top of all that there's the feeling that Dot is himself someone else's puppet. I'm hoping we find them before the end of this series

Such a good show.

4 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

wow.just finished watching ep.5.Shocking ending! Great episode overall,sets up things nicely for the finale.

Reveal hidden contents

Who did Denton send the list to ? Sad to see her go,she was fantastic.

So Dot is on the run ? How much longer can he hide his involvement ?

Holy shit - I think that was probably one of the best episodes of TV this year! Certainly one of the most tense with fistpump moments and "you MF" moments.

as to your spoiler comments

You'd think Steve would be the most obvious choice as she didn't really have anyone else she could possibly trust. That or she's hoping Steve is smart enough to work out who she sent it to - eg a fake account? I loved her defiance at the end and us finally getting the truth on her taking the bribe.

As for Dot, the guy is such a weasel my feeling is that he will somehow pin the murder on Steve or paint it so that Steve and Denton were trying to frame Dot. There's a series 4 - it can't wrap up that much unless the capture of Dot just leads to the people who are really pulling the strings.

Other highlights where the good people showed they still are were Kate deciding to go undercover against Hastings (but the fact she made the call immediately after Dot made a move on her has me hoping/suspecting she's suspicious of him too - she's not a fool). Then there was Denton showing what a pro he is and taking Steve's info on board and accusing "the woman off Rome"/liason officer of planting info. I don't think she's doing so deliberately but is more likely she's unwittingly doing someone's job for them

Like I said, one of the best episodes of TV in a while and I'm hard pushed to think of a better one so far this year. It even had a bizarre celebrity pedophile guest-star (which was bravely and cleverly handled to add weight to the subject matter).

My prediction for the finale -

Steve gets stitched up, Hastings get suspended (probably via Kate and Dot making out Hastings covered for Steve/was negligent). Dot gets Hastings' job (liason woman mentioned he should apply for a promotion and Hastings is on her hit list). That will leave us with only Kate on the inside with any real means of uncovering the truth. It would make series 4 fascinating. The only hope justice has is that the desk cop of wonders gets a promotion too - I think she could crack the case wide open!

I'm half way through the season finale,had no idea it was a 90 minute episode but wow it's been fantastic so far.I have never seen a more tension-filled interrogation on tv and it's nearly 20 minutes long! The suspense and tension throughout the 20 minute interrogation was superb.Poor Steve's face at the end.God i hate Dot.

8 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I'm half way through the season finale,had no idea it was a 90 minute episode but wow it's been fantastic so far.I have never seen a more tension-filled interrogation on tv and it's nearly 20 minutes long! The suspense and tension throughout the 20 minute interrogation was superb.Poor Steve's face at the end.God i hate Dot.

Best season of TV this year without a doubt. Considering 75 minutes of it is essentially office based it's a testament to all involved that it was so gripping. I'll do an in depth summary after work but hats off to the BBC.

On 29/04/2016 at 11:52 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

The finale was easily the best episode of tv that i've watched this year (so far).Seems you and me are the only boarder's watching this .People don't know what they're missing.

Season 4 begins filming in August.

That final episode was like a movie-ending to the season. Brilliant from start to finish. The acting and direction were really top notch and I loved the tonal differences between the 2 interviews.

Martin Compston is actually a really good actor - he was so utterly convincing as someone dealing with the shock/anger/frustration of being utterly stitched up for the murder of someone he had a difficult relationship. I don't know how they approached that scene but it felt like Compston was hearing the accusations for the first time. Really well done and that look on his face when Kate came to see him at the end was priceless.

Speaking of Kate she had a strong episode. Often feeling like a support cast member it turned out the wool had never been pulled over her eyes and wathing her connect the dots/suspicions during the interview was also great.

Adrian Dunar as Hastings has to be one of my favourite in-charge cops in TV. He is totally unflappable and will take down anyone irrespective of the damage it may cause him. Just when you think there's a crack the character rises above it. I really hope there are cops like him in the real world!

I was surprised at the end of Cottan but it does mean the show was sticking to coherent seasons and was also providing a nice safety net in case there wasn't a season 4. I'm expecting them to try and find the person behind the caddy but that may be tricky in the sense they focus on corruption. If the mastermind isn't a cop then it's not in their jurisdiction to chase them. Of course as the ending revealed there are plenty of cops within the system working for this mystery figure - maybe season 4 will have a witch-hunt to clean up as part of the story? Who knows? I'll definitely be watching it whatever the story is.

I also have to give the BBC credit for the misleading way in which they promoted this season. The firearms cops and Danny waldron were front and centre of all the promotion - I think everyone was fooled into thinking Danny was the season's lead/suspect. Did they ever pull that rug out from us quickly. The only downside is we didn't get that much of the actor who never disappoints but doesn't show up very often.

I'm watching the finale now. Gooooooood shit. I feel like I need to go back and rewatch the last two seasons. Did we know about

DI Cotton being the Caddy the whole time? There was reference to the Caddy back in season 1 wasn't there? But I don't recall that we knew who it was

It feels like season one was about five years ago... I'm going to go look that up... August of 2012, so not even four years. But it looks like it's nearly two years between each series; that makes it pretty rough to remember all the details from such short runs.

Phenomenal ending! 

Quite intense there at the end both with Dot's "extraction" and Kate chasing him down.  This show has certainly taught me that there's really no point for people to own cars in London because it's so easy for people on foot to keep up with them.  I remember a scene very similar to that one in one of the earlier seasons.

Hastings floored me with his delivery in this sequence:

Dot - And what the hell are you doing searching my car?
Hastings - This is a signed authority from superintendent Somers from AC-3 to investigate AC-12 officers based on concerns raised by DC Fleming.
Dot - Okay
Hastings - Just doing our job here, nothing personal.
Dot - Okay, but it's obviously for investigating Steven Arnott.  Not me.
Hastings - The, uh, signed authority from superintendent Somers is a bit like grandma's nightgown.  It covers everything.

:lmao: I had to pause it, I was laughing so hard.

10 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm watching the finale now. Gooooooood shit. I feel like I need to go back and rewatch the last two seasons. Did we know about

Hide contents

DI Cotton being the Caddy the whole time? There was reference to the Caddy back in season 1 wasn't there? But I don't recall that we knew who it was

It feels like season one was about five years ago... I'm going to go look that up... August of 2012, so not even four years. But it looks like it's nearly two years between each series; that makes it pretty rough to remember all the details from such short runs.

I'm having trouble recalling when it was revealed. It officially happened at the end of season 1 but I think I forgot that so was surprised when it was brough up again in season 2. It definitely needs a rewatch - we should maybe try and get a group of newbies on board and launch

the good news is season 4 is about to start filming this year so we will have a short gap this time.

Ok I enjoyed it, but I've got to say the end bit was ridiculous, worlds most moronic get away driver in the Range Rover, and an anti corruption officer makes a shot that Jack Bauer would have been proud of.

Other than that, really enjoyed it, still can't stand Steve.

15 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

Ok I enjoyed it, but I've got to say the end bit was ridiculous, worlds most moronic get away driver in the Range Rover, and an anti corruption officer makes a shot that Jack Bauer would have been proud of.

Other than that, really enjoyed it, still can't stand Steve.

The action scene was a little silly but they probably felt they had to have something other than interviews in the finale. They really didn't though.

I like the image of the get away driver hitting his GPS screaming "why do you keep telling me to turn left"

9 hours ago, red snow said:

The action scene was a little silly but they probably felt they had to have something other than interviews in the finale. They really didn't though.

I like the image of the get away driver hitting his GPS screaming "why do you keep telling me to turn left"

Yeah exactly, the ineptness of the get away driver was out of this world.

Archived