BBC Line of Duty [SPOILERS] s1 to present

red snow

Just finished watching s5 e2.Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?? That cliffhanger scene! :o

Who did she point out i wonder? Did Kate grab Hastings (H?) pic from the drawer along with those on the perp board?

I'm now gonna go with Corbett not being bent, but a good cop,though ruthless and not caring about collateral damage as long as he gets the big fish.Or it could all be some grand scheme to recruit Arnott? haha at this pint i don't know what to believe! :P

Poor Maneet,hearing her audio recording was sad,she really wanted to do the right thing.

Also,if Corbett is to be believed,then it's not just a few bent coppers,but a larger network.Now i'm looking at most of the police on the show with suspicion!

It certainly seems now that Corbett ain’t bent but who the fuck knows with this show?  The other tack is that it’s a grand scheme to screw over the straight cops but I don’t see his gain in that.  He’s definitely engaging in some very vigilante behaviour, happy to murder even slightly bent cops and most of them are not that bad, just passing information or whatever, they don’t really deserve to die.

I don’t know if anyone else was thinking this but prior to this episode I thought Corbett was the same balaclava man who’d been plaguing AC12 through the whole series and the guy who pushed Steve down the stairs. But apparently he’s only been involved for a year so there must be some other balaclava man, or lots of them.

Otherwise, my Steve impotence theory is still on, now he’s refusing to go upstairs with his ex-girlfriend (who you have to assume he’s going to end up with in the end).  Kate seems fine, not much of a storyline for her this year.  Hastings is getting his money back but I did notice it was an ex-cop making him the offer, could be one of the corrupt guys and Hastings will have to do questionable stuff to actually get the money.

As for the cliffhanger, I’m assuming it’s not Hastings since they’re making such a big deal about it.  Plus why would they have random photos of Hastings in their files?  Interesting to find out who it is though.

15 minutes ago, john said:

As for the cliffhanger, I’m assuming it’s not Hastings since they’re making such a big deal about it.  Plus why would they have random photos of Hastings in their files?  Interesting to find out who it is though.

In the previous season,wasn't Hastings' pic up on the board too,which he later told them to take down,since they got their man,the senior police officer who apparently suicided on the pier? :unsure:

1 minute ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

In the previous season,wasn't Hastings' pic up on the board too,which he later told them to take down,since they got their man,the senior police officer who apparently suicided on the pier? :unsure:

Actually I do remember that, now you mention it.  So they would’ve had his picture.  They weren’t just showing the H pictures though, they had all the corrupt officers they’d identified so far.  Still can’t see it being Hastings though, it would be crazy having such a senior officer recruiting the bent cops (although maybe Hastings could be reporting to someone even higher also starting with H?).  It would also totally change the tone of the show, not that I’d put it past them.

8 hours ago, john said:

It certainly seems now that Corbett ain’t bent but who the fuck knows with this show?  The other tack is that it’s a grand scheme to screw over the straight cops but I don’t see his gain in that.  He’s definitely engaging in some very vigilante behaviour, happy to murder even slightly bent cops and most of them are not that bad, just passing information or whatever, they don’t really deserve to die.

I don’t know if anyone else was thinking this but prior to this episode I thought Corbett was the same balaclava man who’d been plaguing AC12 through the whole series and the guy who pushed Steve down the stairs. But apparently he’s only been involved for a year so there must be some other balaclava man, or lots of them.

Otherwise, my Steve impotence theory is still on, now he’s refusing to go upstairs with his ex-girlfriend (who you have to assume he’s going to end up with in the end).  Kate seems fine, not much of a storyline for her this year.  Hastings is getting his money back but I did notice it was an ex-cop making him the offer, could be one of the corrupt guys and Hastings will have to do questionable stuff to actually get the money.

My guess is the ex-cop trying to grt Hastings his money back is corrupt, either trying to compromise Hastings or make it look like he's compromised.

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 3 and I'm hoping it was just an off episode but I'm getting a bit tired of the "hastings is h" set up. It's either too obvious or spending far too much time setting up a red herring. It's also becoming ever more ridiculous how virtually everyone has a surname beginning with h. Surely a clever criminal would have noticed this and used the fact.

Also missing previous seasons' focus on a bent cop actively being the focus. The undercover cop sadly feels like an excuse for more h silliness.

Hopefully just a wobble otherwise it feels like the silliness of the bodyguard has crept in without the same level of spectacle.

Just finished the latest episode..wow did not see that coming! At least not so soon and in that manner..thought Corbett would somehow wriggle out..brutal way to go!

And what's with the 'Northern Ireland' plot twist? Came out of nowhere.:o

I also can't imagine that Hastings ratted out Corbett to the guy in prison...i mean he went there in full uniform and was recorded and would have had to disclose whom me met there,right? But why meet him at all?

Lisa McQueen is another mystery.She's not the hard-bitten OCG that she likes to portray she is,but she also has crossed so many lines that she can't return from. Some people online speculating that she's an undercover cop gone rogue..but that doesn't make sense.

15 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Just finished the latest episode..wow did not see that coming! At least not so soon and in that manner..thought Corbett would somehow wriggle out..brutal way to go!

I also can't imagine that Hastings ratted out Corbett to the guy in prison...i mean he went there in full uniform and was recorded and would have had to disclose whom me met there,right? But why meet him at all?

Lisa McQueen is another mystery.She's not the hard-bitten OCG that she likes to portray she is,but she also has crossed so many lines that she can't return from. Some people online speculating that she's an undercover cop gone rogue..but that doesn't make sense.

If I recall, doesn't Ted have some connection with the Royal Ulster Constabulary and didn't one of his colleagues die?  I may be misremembering, but that's definitely ringing a bell but I haven't done a re-watch so I can't properly recall.

I'm still thinking Ted is a red herring (Ted Herring :)). And I definitely don't trust that woman he spent the night with either.   Then again, there's always Kate Fleming, previously undercover and promoted quickly.   As you can see, I still haven't a clue, but I'm reall enjoying the ride!! :lol:

5 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Just read that the season finale will be 90 minutes long..oh boy, more twists and turns! :)

Hoping for at least a 15 minutes long interrogation scene! :D

That's what's missing this season, long interviews! Forget about shoot outs i want that long beep sound. I'm not joking.

The surprise death is mainly interesting in the sense it forces the story into something else. I'm so fed up of the "ted herrings" (love that term). This season has been really damaging for Ted's character to the point there better be some clever reveal showing he hasn't been off the ball and stupid. Every other season his integrity has always been foremost. All i can think is that he thinks he can get to h by appearing corrupt. H might reveal himself to Hastings in order to land that big a fish. He also wouldn't tell his team if he thought one if them was corrupt.

Im warming to the idea that kate might be corrupt. It would fit really well with her undercover "abilities" and it could be argued it was worth taking down the caddy and clearing arnott's name to gain ac12s trust/promotion.

On 4/22/2019 at 5:37 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I still don't know what to make of Hastings, they're making it too obvious so he's probably squeaky clean but on the other hand he's not endearing me to him.

If they want to catch the OCG they should just patrol town and stop anyone driving a black Range Rover, this seems to have been their M.O. since the early days of the series! :P.

Just caught up with the last two episodes.  I too have no idea what they’re doing with Hastings, it’s now getting overwritten for it to all be red herrings.  I don’t like the “Lisa is Hastings mole” theory either, he wouldn’t order her to kill someone surely.  However, he might be playing the ex-cop trying to get him to sign up for that get rich quick scheme, four meetings without agreeing to anything seems like he’s stringing him alone.  Also, he could easily have done some dodgy stuff in Ulster in the 80s.

On 4/23/2019 at 8:44 AM, Ser Quork said:

If I recall, doesn't Ted have some connection with the Royal Ulster Constabulary and didn't one of his colleagues die?  I may be misremembering, but that's definitely ringing a bell but I haven't done a re-watch so I can't properly recall.

He does indeed. I was reading on another board that it gets mentioned at length in Season 1, though like you I don't really remember it.

Seems like Hastings is just a little bit hasty at this point.  Everything he was saying about his “gambit” to catch the OCG rang true but we don’t yet know what was going on in NI in 1989.  Looks like Corbett’s mother was his informant and she was murdered, obviously Corbett thought that Hastings released the info to the paramilitary group.

Not sure why Hastings was just a PC back in 1989, he must have been in his mid 30s already, maybe he was in the army before that or something.

edit - oh and as Steve's unofficial errection watcher of course i have to say *ding ding ding* (or should that be *waah waah*?) Steve is impotent!  Totally called it.

Mother of God....we finally got a tense interrogation scene! :D Poor Ted, he's toast! :(

This show has now got me second guessing whether every copper is bent or not haha, especially anti-corruption themselves...I even include Kate is looking suspect to me. Arnott is the only exception i'd make.He could never be corrupt!

Ted,of course is not H,i think we all can agree on that now.So OCG member Ryan mentioned an interview for a job....a police job? that would make perfect sense for OCG's trying to infiltrate police i guess.

Archived