The Night Of (HBO)

AncalagonTheBlack

I disagree with the wheel spinning. The show is shedding light on the entire criminal justice system through one case. It is analyzing each aspect of it. Sure the murder set everything in motion, and its investigation may be the most entertaining/interesting part of the series, but Naz's experience with the entire process is what we are being shown. I'm confident scenes or aspects initially seeming tangential will be important.

Just now, RumHam said:

This is probably one of those shows that ideally would be binge watched over a weekend instead of watching it as it airs over the course of eight weeks.

This is all shows as far as I'm concerned :P I'm finally doing the smart thing and waiting for Mr. Robot season 2 to end so I can watch the whole thing at my own pace. I need to do the same for other shows. 

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

I disagree with the wheel spinning. The show is shedding light on the entire criminal justice system through one case. It is analyzing each aspect of it. Sure the murder set everything in motion, and its investigation may be the most entertaining/interesting part of the series, but Naz's experience with the entire process is what we are being shown. I'm confident scenes or aspects initially seeming tangential will be important.

Agreed.

I also agree with the poster below that this show plays really well when watching multiple episodes back to back. We watched the first episode when it was released awhile back but watched 2 and 3 last night and it worked. I think we'll wait until the season is over and then burn through the rest. 

Love the show.

7 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest? 

John Stone no longer represents Naz. It would be a blow to Naz because he then also would be charged with grand theft,surly. But do not see any conflicting issues here other than John's conscious.

1 hour ago, fixitwilya said:

John Stone no longer represents Naz. It would be a blow to Naz because he then also would be charged with grand theft,surly. But do not see any conflicting issues here other than John's conscious.

I could be wrong, but iirc even a consultation with a lawyer is enough for a conflict of interest with another client involved in the same case. :dunno:

20 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I could be wrong, but iirc even a consultation with a lawyer is enough for a conflict of interest with another client involved in the same case. :dunno:

The stolen vehicle and the murder would be 2 separate incidents. And John would be representing 2 different men and not actually suing Naz. he would be suing the prosecutors office for release of the vehicle. It would be up to the DA if he wanted to add grand theft charges.

13 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest? 

4 hours ago, fixitwilya said:

The stolen vehicle and the murder would be 2 separate incidents. And John would be representing 2 different men and not actually suing Naz. he would be suing the prosecutors office for release of the vehicle. It would be up to the DA if he wanted to add grand theft charges.

I would suggest reading The New York Rules of Professional Conduct, specifically rule 1.6 concerning Confidentiality.

OK I am finally caught up on the show, had forgotten to record it. I am intrigued so far and have some thoughts. Is this show less about the murder and more about what happens after? Is this a show where we will never find out who truly did it and will be left to our own conclusions?

Spoiler

There are a lot of potential suspects. 1. The hearse driver from the gas station, "do you want to be my next ride?" then he leaves at the same time as them and heads in the same direction.  2. the guy with the witness(yep from the wire). He was definitely "harder" than the other guy and is likely his boss since he never mentioned him to the cops. 3. Neighbor who called in the break in, can't rule him out.  4. Most likely in my mind, step dad. He would have access and maybe motive. If she dies does he get that house and any money she has?

Spoiler

Secondary item, the guy in jail offering help, I would say he is just looking to use someone else right now. I can't see him trying to ge the parents to smuggle anything. He knows this guy is truly religious and has a good family so smuggling wouldn't happen.

On 7/27/2016 at 7:18 AM, fixitwilya said:

But my understanding was that the only way they could possibly get the cab back sooner is to say that Naz was using it without permission (i.e. that he stole it and, thus, they would need to press charges, etc.)  Also, it would be interesting if John Stone were used in the Grand Theft case against Naz and there turned out to be some sort of possibly exonerating evidence for Naz associated with the cab.  What would John Stone do in that hypothetical case?

Also, interesting that James Gandolfini is/was an executive producer on this show.  Seeing that just reminded me how much I miss him (as was said upthread):(

1 minute ago, Prince of the North said:

Also, interesting that James Gandolfini is/was an executive producer on this show.  Seeing that just reminded me how much I miss him (as was said upthread):(

He was also supposed to play John Stone. 

As good as Turturro has been, sometimes when he delivers a line I can hear it in Gandolfini's voice and it makes me a little bit sad. 

5 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

He was also supposed to play John Stone. 

As good as Turturro has been, sometimes when he delivers a line I can hear it in Gandolfini's voice and it makes me a little bit sad. 

I thought I read Gandolfini had also already done the pilot. If you check out IMDB it gives him credit as John Stone 1 episode.

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 0:55 PM, Astromech said:

I would suggest reading The New York Rules of Professional Conduct, specifically rule 1.6 concerning Confidentiality.

Long read. And it does all pertain to what Stone and Naz spoke about. But what exactly was said between the 2? Stone did not want to know his side of the story until necessary. He knows some of Naz's personal and family backround, And that he claims to be innocent. I do not remember if Stone and Naz spoke about the cab.

Slippery slope i'm sure, I was just curious on how the other 2 cab owners will peruse the matter after the impound cop gave them John Stone's card

3 hours ago, fixitwilya said:

Long read. And it does all pertain to what Stone and Naz spoke about. But what exactly was said between the 2? Stone did not want to know his side of the story until necessary. He knows some of Naz's personal and family backround, And that he claims to be innocent. I do not remember if Stone and Naz spoke about the cab.

Slippery slope i'm sure, I was just curious on how the other 2 cab owners will peruse the matter after the impound cop gave them John Stone's card

I thought Naz told Stone he took the cab without permission, which would be information Stone could only use if Naz gave Stone informed consent to do so.

Archived