Bakker XLIV: The Goddess of Negative Theology

lokisnow

I did get a confirmation from Scott that I'm on the ARC list, so that's good. Hoping that's not too far off in arriving :) Although I also just got the ARC for Paul Kearney's latest, another monumentally-underrated author.

Ok, so I've got good news and bad news!

The good news is that Scott is happy to do the interview. So Wert, if you're down, we could team up once more for this one! Kal came up with some great questions, and a few of those will definitely make the cut. If anyone else has questions they would like to submit, please do so here so it's easier to keep track of them all! :)

Bad news is that Orbit  hasn't yet offered their commitment to the July pub date for TGO. . . :(

Patrick

4 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

The good news is that Scott is happy to do the interview. So Wert, if you're down, we could team up once more for this one! Kal came up with some great questions, and a few of those will definitely make the cut. If anyone else has questions they would like to submit, please do so here so it's easier to keep track of them all! :)

Bad news is that Orbit  hasn't yet offered their commitment to the July pub date for TGO. . . :(

Patrick

Fuck ya! Good job, Pat and Wert. I encourage everyone to post many, many questions.

As per the Orbit date - there are two Amazon.co.uk pages up; the paperback (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Ordeal-Aspect-Emperor-Book/dp/1841498319?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0) with the Sep 29 date (I don't know why these links keep redirecting the hyperlink) lists Orbit as publisher and the other is the Overlook hardcover with a release date of July 5th - I don't know what that means in context of "their commitment" and, obviously, an Amazon date means little.

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

I did get a confirmation from Scott that I'm on the ARC list, so that's good. Hoping that's not too far off in arriving :) Although I also just got the ARC for Paul Kearney's latest, another monumentally-underrated author.

I can't imagine it'll be too long as I have it from a reviewer that they have "review copies" ...

Also, off-topic, TJE Reread Cast is up with MSJ and Blackstone as new Casters. We might actually do a TJE Reread Cast Part II as there was much untouched.

EDIT: Made a thread at SA to source questions - which I will quote here - and encouraged those who post here to do so.

Cheers again, Pat and Wert.

19 minutes ago, Madness said:

Fuck ya! Good job, Pat and Wert. I encourage everyone to post many, many questions.

As per the Orbit date - there are two Amazon.co.uk pages up; the paperback (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Ordeal-Aspect-Emperor-Book/dp/1841498319?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0) with the Sep 29 date (I don't know why these links keep redirecting the hyperlink) lists Orbit as publisher and the other is the Overlook hardcover with a release date of July 5th - I don't know what that means in context of "their commitment" and, obviously, an Amazon date means little.

I can't imagine it'll be too long as I have it from a reviewer that they have "review copies" ...

Also, off-topic, TJE Reread Cast is up with MSJ and Blackstone as new Casters. We might actually do a TJE Reread Cast Part II as there was much untouched.

EDIT: Made a thread at SA to source questions - which I will quote here - and encouraged those who post here to do so.

Cheers again, Pat and Wert.

I have contacted Orbit about TGO and they said " our publication date will be confirmed shortly and it'll appear on Amazon not long after that.We are definitely publishing it, and more details will follow. Thanks for your patience." About the questions here is my current list :

What books do you plan writing before and after TSTSBN ?

Are you planning of exploring Eanna or the south of Kutnarmu ?

Will you write a new series with the scale of TSA ?

I am already excited to read the advance reviews of TGO. Also interested in the interview.

Questions wise I don't have much to add as it would all be specific to the story itself and these would probably not be answered.

What I would like is for someone to ask confirmation on the publication date of book 4, The Unholy Consult. Scott has said next year but if he could be more specific that would be better.

I would also like for him to be asked what his hobbies are, what he loves doing best if he has time off. I am interested.

Alright, I'll try my hand at some questions, but he probably won't answer many since they are probably spoilers.

1.) Could you tell us more about the evolution of Nonman beliefs?  Cleric explains to us that there was an evolution from the worshiping of "the spaces between the Gods" understood as Oblivion, to the worship of Being and Becoming.  The earlier concept makes much more sense to me, but could you possibly explain to a non-philosophite how to better understand what Cleric means by Being and Becoming?

2.) Will we ever learn of what happened to Siöl itself?  It is mentioned as a High Mansion, does this mean it was built above ground, as opposed to under, like Cil-Aujas and Viri?  Perhaps in an Atrocity Tale?  Or is that something that might be covered in the new Glossary?

3.) The Atrocity Tale, The Four Revelations of Cinial’jin, is quite confusing and purposely so, as a stream of Nonman consciousness.  Even breaking the story into it's narrative threads doesn't yield much by way of answers, only tantalizing clues.  Any plan to expand on that story?  Or it's backstory?

4.) Are there any plans to ever write something like The Sagas as an Atrocity Tale?

5.) Are wracu something of "cyborgs" in a sense?  Living things but comprised of inorganic parts bound together with flesh and muscles?  And of course, Sci's everliving question of "why weren't wracu outfitted it Chorae?"

Where is Siol and how come it has never been placed on a map?

What did NinJanJin mean when he wrote to Cujara Cinmoi "Brother Siol, Viri begs your pardon"? Was he implying that Viri was somehow responsible for the fall of the Incu Holonius and said responsibility is partially why Cujara Cinmoi conquired Viri in response?

Can you expand upon the Wolf Gate encountered in Cil Aujus? It seems to predate even the cunoroi and tantalizes with the question "what came before the cunoroi?" 

Is the term "Breaking of the Gates" referring to the breaking of a purely physical Gates barrier?  Is the event "breaking of the gates" as understood by the people of Earwa (as a migration through a physical Gates barrier from Eanna into Earwa) an accurate understanding of those events? I'm thinking that if the peoples who migrated to Earwa do not have an accurate understanding of their own Tusk, they may not have an accurate understanding of their own religiously motivated migration.

Why did Esmenet's parent(s) name her after the prophet's wife?

Eleazarus described the arrival of the Cishaurim attackers as though a door had opened. How did the Cishaurim achieve this attack? Did they walk the shadow way as Achamian and Xinemus did? Were they translated through a sorcerous "door" to the scarlet spires from a distance (an anagogic (metaphor of a door) or psukhe version of Kellhus' mathematical teleportation spell)? Or was another method(s) utilized? 

Good ones, Locke, although, in Pat's last interview with Bakker (the one where he tells us how the Tusk came to be) he also tells us the the Gates (Which Were Broke) were a real place, later reinforced by the surviving Nonmen.

I thought of another question:

6.) Could you say if Angeshraël didn't actually meet Husyelt on Mount Eshki, but rather an Inchoroi (probably Aurang) who convinced him to lead the Tribes to Break the Gates and into Earwa?  It fits with the rewritten scriptures, the making of the Tusk, and the Inchoroi desire to have Eännan Men war with the Nonmen.  It seems highly circumstantial that Husyelt wants exactly what the Inchoroi would have wanted.

On 4/23/2016 at 10:51 AM, Lord Patrek said:

Patrick

My questions, sorry if some have already been covered:

Do you have any expectation to write TSTSNBN sometimes this decade?

Is there are particular sales number you need to hit from TGO/TUC to continue writing full time? If so, what is it, and do you realistically think you can reach it?

In a previous interview you mentioned Neuropath might not have come to exist if you hadn't published it before having Ruby. Has TSA story changed in scope, concept, or depiction in a similar fashion?

Is there anything fans can do to encourage more interactions between you and them?

Are there any stories, shorts or full books, that you'd like to tell within the Earwa universe, before writing TSTSNBN?

Outside of Earwa, do you plan to publish any other fiction/fantasy/sci-fi in the near future?

If you could choose any publisher, who would it be an why?

Have you/would you considered publishing a short run of limited edition with someone like Subterranean Press or Easton Press?

After so many years and so many books, do you feel invigorated by the imminent publication of TUC and ready to write more, or do you feel like you'd like to take a break from writing for a while?

Daily, how much fan mail, or how many emails, do you think you get? What % do you personally respond to, if any? 

How many hours a week have you dedicated to writing since the release of WLW?

Why has the release between WLW and TGO been longer than the releases of any other sequels?

What has been the worst/hardest decision you have been forced to make through the editing process?
Has anything come to light through the editing process that has made the books better than they would have otherwise been?

When, and in what city, does your book/signing tour start? How many stops do you plan to make?

What book that you have written has been your favorite so far, and why?

can you publish the underlying mathematical equations for the thousandfold thought?

probably should pop all the gnostic inutteral strings in the updated glossary, too?

and while you're at it, maybe an appendix with tusk excerpts?

DA's writing regards the 'first' holy war; when is the second?

how much should an understanding of the series be contingent upon the ancient etymology of 'apocalypse':  'apo-' (from, away) & 'kalyptein' (cover, conceal), i.e., uncovering, disclosure, revelation?

NG is not presented as a proper theophany, but is described in apophatic terms and accordingly constitutes a sort of hidden or unknown god; it is in fact so well hidden that it needs to ask what it itself looks like; is the revelation aforesaid therefore to be a matter self-revelation, an auto-theophanic disclosure, an anagnoritic apocalypse?

and does that mean that NG is really just heidegger's dasein, which "gets its ontological understanding of itself in the first instance from those entities which it itself is not but which it encounters 'within' its world, and from the being which they posses"?

Grimdark Magazine facebook post:

The fans got the news out before we could! Overlook have been kind enough to hand us a 9k word excerpt, and ARC, and a second ARC to give away in a competition! Keep your eyes on us for more to come on the much anticipated release build-up to R. Scott Bakker's THE GREAT ORDEAL.

Really hope Pat and Wert see theirs soon. And Pat's excerpt.

As per interview questions, those SA members interested have mostly posted here except The Sharmat (who I feel like shares a profile picture with Darzin here):

Are Gods dropping in and out of human pantheons as described by Conphas in TDTCB still canon?

And nicodante:

Who currently owns the tv rights to PoN (if anyone), and would you be happy to see an adaptation if some of the more grisly details were left out or inferred rather than shown?

What actors/actresses do you think would best play the roles of your central characters in a tv adaptation of PoN?

For myself:

- Since the beginning of your writing career, you've claimed that The Second Apocalypse has been a slow reveal over the course of many books. Fans of the series have even coined the term "Layers of Revelation" to refer to how each book published reframes the events of previous volumes. How does The Great Ordeal and The Unholy Consult differ from what has come before?

- You've previously described The Aspect-Emperor series as ending in a 'Gordian Knot' of plots. At which point do you think the reader will have all the pieces to elucidate the problem, let alone the answer?

- Time ago, you mentioned that Malowebi was your favorite character to write while working on The Unholy Consult become The Great Ordeal and The Unholy Consult-proper. In the last stretch, has he remained the writing favorite or has another claimed the honour?

55 minutes ago, Madness said:

Since the beginning of your writing career, you've claimed that The Second Apocalypse has been a slow reveal over the course of many books. Fans of the series have even coined the term "Layers of Revelation" to refer to how each book published reframes the events of previous volumes. How does The Great Ordeal and The Unholy Consult differ from what has come before?

ok, looping this back through my etymological question:  assume the 'apocalypse' of the series title refers to the non-diegetic process of readers interpreting the text, with its progressively updated disclosures as revealed in successive serial installments, each of which installments is not merely additive in quantitative terms but rather is also properly transformative in qualitative terms--each installment a rules-changing benjuka move.  if this is the case, what then was the readerly first apocalypse?  

Archived