Bakker XLIV: The Goddess of Negative Theology

lokisnow

I'm jealous, although not of that cover. I wish we could still get the cool-looking covers with the text scroll on them. That's what got me to pick up the series in the first place at the library. 

Have any other alien races discovered damnation and tried to stop it?

Possibly not, at least within any decent radius of Bakkerworld (never mind the Inchoroi running around slaughtering civilizations). If Bakkerworld is unique in having sorcery and a place where God sleeps (allowing the Outside in and the World to be changed), then the only places that know about damnation might be worlds where they developed Inchoroi-level technology and the ability to use technology to punch a hole into the Outside (the Inverse Fire).

And even if they do know about it, there's nothing they can do unless it's somehow possible to use technology to trap whole souls Ghostbusters-style. We don't even know how the Inchoroi figured out that Bakkerworld is special.

9 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Isn't that just the cover from that Eagle/Roman alt history book but with a circle?

This one?  You could be right. I guess they are keeping costs down with quick photoshop skills.

Pat needs to get it read so he can tell us whether it works as a split novel or if those with patience should wait and read when both parts are out? I'll still buy it because i don't want them not to release part 2 but it may sit on my shelf.

Ooh. * goes and pokes Overlook contacts *

Although it'll definitely have to wait until I've finished Paul Kearney's new one. That's a Kay, a Kearney, an Elliott and (hopefully) a Bakker in rapid succession, which isn't bad going.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Although it'll definitely have to wait until I've finished Paul Kearney's new one. That's a Kay, a Kearney, an Elliott and (hopefully) a Bakker in rapid succession, which isn't bad going.

You guys are really chill about this... if I got this today I would probably be on my second reading right now. But what is this about Grimdark giving a free copy? I can’t find anything about it on their website. Also, I‘m really hoping we can get that excerpt in the next couple of days.

bakkerfans/Grimdark Magazine facebook said their excerpt is May 16th - though, MG's tweet described their giveaway as in June (rather than July, which is release month). Grimdark Magazine responded to a commentator that details regarding the giveaway ARC will appear on their blog.

Congrats to Pat. May the journey not break you. Hopefully, Wert's comes soon too. And thanks - finally with much pushing and prodding, it seems - to Overlook for reaching out to people who can help put Bakker into more, new hands. Just in time too, I think.

And, ultimately, thank you to the man himself. Without whom there would be no words.

4 hours ago, themerchant said:

So how was it :P

Surely read by now ;)

Alas, I'm working all weekend so I haven't made as much progress as I'd like. Only about 80 pages into it so far.

There is a 27-page "What has gone before" section, which I really needed given the years between books.

The prologue takes place in Momemn and begins right where TWLW left off, right after Maithanet's murder. Though the Fanim are at the gates, Esmenet goes batshit crazy and can only focus on trying to find Kelmomas.

In the first chapter, we see the soldiers of the Great Ordeal now forced to eat Sranc in order to survive. And it appears that Kellhus must now break Proyas to send him on a different path.

And the second chapter chronicles the last leg of Sorweel, Serwa, and her brother's journey to Ishterebinth.

I never read extracts, so I'm not sure about this. But I flipped through the pages and the first Achamian doesn't show up until page 140. This might be the chapter from which the first extract posted so long ago was taken. . .

Too early to say just how good the book will be. In style, tone, and pacing, it is more akin to TWLW than TJE.

More news later. . . :)

Patrick

Amazon finally listed a Kindle version which I immediately pre-ordered, so it does look like Overlook Press is part of the 21st century. That being said, $18.22 for an e-book?

58 minutes ago, Electric Bass said:

Interesting quote on Pat's website. "The antithesis of God, not the reflection". So another reminder that Probably Most Humans Are Damned? 

Classic Hegelian dialectic of thesis antithesis synthesis by way of derridian negative theology?:)

i don't know what that means bit of you say big philosophy words together in a string it looks neat.

Archived