Bakker XLIV: The Goddess of Negative Theology

lokisnow

15 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Alas, I'm working all weekend so I haven't made as much progress as I'd like. Only about 80 pages into it so far.

There is a 27-page "What has gone before" section, which I really needed given the years between books.

The prologue takes place in Momemn and begins right where TWLW left off, right after Maithanet's murder. Though the Fanim are at the gates, Esmenet goes batshit crazy and can only focus on trying to find Kelmomas.

In the first chapter, we see the soldiers of the Great Ordeal now forced to eat Sranc in order to survive. And it appears that Kellhus must now break Proyas to send him on a different path.

And the second chapter chronicles the last leg of Sorweel, Serwa, and her brother's journey to Ishterebinth.

I never read extracts, so I'm not sure about this. But I flipped through the pages and the first Achamian doesn't show up until page 140. This might be the chapter from which the first extract posted so long ago was taken. . .

Too early to say just how good the book will be. In style, tone, and pacing, it is more akin to TWLW than TJE.

More news later. . . :)

Patrick

Lol. Finally... I am no longer alone with the visions of a madman. I have survived broken in the wilderness for far too long.

Looks like Ch. 2 is what was "Ch. 3" when Wilshire went to an excerpt reading during 2012. And the Achamian excerpt (though, you did post some of it and link to SA a number of years ago, for which I thank you) featured a Nau-Cayuti dream.

11 hours ago, Faint said:

Amazon finally listed a Kindle version which I immediately pre-ordered, so it does look like Overlook Press is part of the 21st century. That being said, $18.22 for an e-book?

That seems to be the opposite of an e-book sale that Pat suggested. Does anyone know why Bakker's books aren't priced competitive to the market?

11 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Read an extra 60 pages before calling it a night. Shit has started to happen.

Shit is good! ;)

Patrick

Lmao.

11 minutes ago, Madness said:

Lol. Finally... I am no longer alone with the visions of a madman. I have survived broken, alone in the wilderness for far too long.

Looks like Ch. 2 is what was "Ch. 3" when Wilshire went to an excerpt reading during 2012. And the Achamian excerpt (though, you did post some of it and link to SA a number of years ago, for which I thank you) featured a Nau-Cayuti dream.

That seems to be the opposite of an e-book sale that Pat suggested. Does anyone know why Bakker's books aren't priced competitive to the market?

Lmao.

Lol, I am looking forward to discuss the revelations that broke you.

I have preordered the hardback and the kindle ebook, so I am doing my part. 

I think we are going to see the Hegel themes play out trough the conclusion of this trilogy. TTT included the synthesis of Inrithism and Fanimry, which set itself as the antithesis of the Consult. Will there be a new synthesis of those two? Foreshadowing in WLW includes several Kel and Proyas conversations about the obscene and holy meshing. 

At least Pat’s comments here suggest that the Ishterebinth chapters are in this book, I was really worried that TGO was going to be mostly set up and all of the good stuff would take place in TUC. Still sucks that we’re not getting to the end of AE this July.

5 hours ago, Madness said:

This is completely anecdotal, although I do purchase a great deal of e-books, but I do notice that smaller publishers tend to have higher priced electronic versions of their books. Even so, the price for Bakker books, especially this latest one, are quite high by way of comparison to any other e-books I have purchased. In fact, $18.22 might be the most I have ever spent on an e-book. Usually the higher priced ones tend to hit a $14.99 limit.

3 hours ago, Hello World said:

At least Pat’s comments here suggest that the Ishterebinth chapters are in this book, I was really worried that TGO was going to be mostly set up and all of the good stuff would take place in TUC. Still sucks that we’re not getting to the end of AE this July.

The ending of TWLW confirmed that we will see real shit for Snake Eaters and the Kellian Empire's plotlines.

4 hours ago, Hello World said:

Well, there's been one thus far. And it was good!

Had a crazy day at work, so I've only read a single chapter, the first Achamian chapter. And if Scott provides the entire second portion of the chapter for that extract, you guys will be exposed to the second "fuck me" moment of the novel.

There's also some fucked up shit going on between Kellhus and Proyas. I'm also curious as to what Kelmomas' agenda truly is. . .

Now 170 pages into it and I'm hoping to read a few chapters tonight. My main concern is that, given that this was meant to be a single novel, the ending will be arbitrary and won't offer anything in terms of resolution. Which would suck big time. My hope is that it took so long for TGO to be released because chapters were reshuffled and rewritten in order to give it a true ending, and certain storylines will be brought to a close in TUC.

Otherwise, if TGO ends with nothing really happening, it would be a major disappointment. Especially since we'll have to wait for at least a year before TUC is published.

Still, so far, so good! :)

Patrick

8 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

Had a crazy day at work, so I've only read a single chapter, the first Achamian chapter. And if Scott provides the entire second portion of the chapter for that extract, you guys will be exposed to the second "fuck me" moment of the novel.

There's also some fucked up shit going on between Kellhus and Proyas. I'm also curious as to what Kelmomas' agenda truly is. . .

Now 170 pages into it and I'm hoping to read a few chapters tonight. My main concern is that, given that this was meant to be a single novel, the ending will be arbitrary and won't offer anything in terms of resolution. Which would suck big time. My hope is that it took so long for TGO to be released because chapters were reshuffled and rewritten in order to give it a true ending, and certain storylines will be brought to a close in TUC.

Otherwise, if TGO ends with nothing really happening, it would be a major disappointment. Especially since we'll have to wait for at least a year before TUC is published.

Patrick

When was the first "Fuck me " moment ?? Proyas resists Kellhus... Kellhus may leave the GO and give the command to Proyas ( I knew that Kellhus was preparing Proyas for something big after "that" conversation in TWLW)

19 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

Patrick

This is me after reading this :P

Another two chapters in, one focusing on the events taking place in Momemn and the other focusing on what is happening in Ishterebinth. Good stuff all around, especially in Ishterebinth.

Flipped through the pages to see what's coming and there are a lot of Ishterebinth chapters coming up. Of the next three, one will focus on Achamian and Mimara in Ishuäl, the other one on Ishterebinth, and the third one will be the first that has to do with the Dagliash storyline.

Now 212 pages into the book and I'm totally into it! :)

Patrick

1 hour ago, Lord Patrek said:

Another two chapters in, one focusing on the events taking place in Momemn and the other focusing on what is happening in Ishterebinth. Good stuff all around, especially in Ishterebinth.

Flipped through the pages to see what's coming and there are a lot of Ishterebinth chapters coming up. Of the next three, one will focus on Achamian and Mimara in Ishuäl, the other one on Ishterebinth, and the third one will be the first that has to do with the Dagliash storyline.

Now 212 pages into the book and I'm totally into it! :)

Patrick

A couple quick questions:

How long is the book / page count?

Is there a glossary? Obviously the big 'un is coming with the next volume.

Slow burn a la Judging Eye? Or does it still feel like WLW's more consistent tension/pace?

Archived