Bakker XLIV: The Goddess of Negative Theology

lokisnow

Thanks!

I wonder if TGO has a slightly larger section of the overall story, in order to fit the glossary into the second volume (which, if I remember correctly, is larger than the one from The Thousandfold Thought -- already 200 pages!). I do hope there was some structuring to give this a proper climax in and of itself.

Started my re-read a week ago (the 4th? 5th? time overall). Even being familiar with the world, it's easy to see why the first 100-150 pages is a bit overwhelming for neophyte readers. It'll be interesting to see if my favorites list will change. As it stands currently:

TWP (2)

TDTCB (1)

TTT (3)

TWLW (5)

TJE (4)

27 minutes ago, kuenjato said:

Thanks!

I wonder if TGO has a slightly larger section of the overall story, in order to fit the glossary into the second volume (which, if I remember correctly, is larger than the one from The Thousandfold Thought -- already 200 pages!). I do hope there was some structuring to give this a proper climax in and of itself.

Scott stated on his blog that TUC would be in the area of 400 pages excluding the encyclopedia section, so TGO should have a somewhat larger part of the story clocking in at about 500.

As far as I know, this is the official cover. When it's not, the publisher usually mentions that the cover art is not final on the advance reading copies.

Read another 2 chapters and I'm beyond the halfway point of the book. Good stuff, lots of revelations, which makes this a compelling read thus far.

There is a fascinating never-before-seen POV that offers a perspective. Serwa also has occasionl POV sections, which if I remember correctly is new. Lots of shit going down, especially in the Ishterebinth chapters. It appears that Bakker has a lot in store for Sorweel. Revelations about Ishuäl, the Nonmen, the No-God, etc.

Onward to the first Dagliash chapter. :)

Regarding the Ishuäl chapters, it appears that there are only two within the pages of TGO. . .

Patrick

50 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

As far as I know, this is the official cover. When it's not, the publisher usually mentions that the cover art is not final on the advance reading copies.

Read another 2 chapters and I'm beyond the halfway point of the book. Good stuff, lots of revelations, which makes this a compelling read thus far.

There is a fascinating never-before-seen POV that offers a perspective. Serwa also has occasionl POV sections, which if I remember correctly is new. Lots of shit going down, especially in the Ishterebinth chapters. It appears that Bakker has a lot in store for Sorweel. Revelations about Ishuäl, the Nonmen, the No-God, etc.

Onward to the first Dagliash chapter. :)

Regarding the Ishuäl chapters, it appears that there are only two within the pages of TGO. . .

Patrick

here's a list of the POVs, no Serwa thus far

http://princeofnothing.wikia.com/wiki/Point_of_View_Characters

2 hours ago, unJon said:

I call BS. List is missing the tabby cat. 

when I posted the list to the wiki it included the tabby cat and did not have Kellhus listed as a POV in the aspect emperor books.

the problem with wiki is people can mess with it.

50 minutes ago, End of Disc One said:

This brings me back to when Pat used to tease the Malazan books early (main 10 book sequence)....oh how I would salivate.

I've been quite fair so far. I haven't messed with anyone's mind, the way I used to do with the Malazan books. . . :P

Patrick

On 5/1/2016 at 10:25 PM, Hello World said:

We are the antithesis of the God, not the reflection.

- R. SCOTT BAKKER, The Great Ordeal

So does this mean that Bakker has inserted himself as a character in the book a la King?

Ah! I get it!

the "We" of this quotation are probably the Dunyain females. 

Why are they the antithesis of God? Because they are female. Man, after all, is made in God's image because God is male, ergo Man is the 'reflection of God'.  Wo-man, then, is, in a sense, the anti-thesis of Man, and the syn-thesis yielded by the sex act is self-evident. hmm. 

And thus begins the way Bakker starts revealing a major feminist point (but since it's a feminist point it has to get to the back of the bus and demurely wait it's proper turn ;)) about his creation.

Perhaps this is why the No God disrupts birth because it circumvents the dialectic of male and female with deconstruction, and AS A RESULT offers 'salvation' (or reprieve from damnation) only for males. 

This is why the cunoroi killed all their females, they thought it was the only way they could save their own souls? Sort of an Adam and Eve thing, but instead of being cast out of Eden, the cunoroi murder all the women.

Okay, 333 pages into the book and I'm calling it a night.

My biggest concern has just been proven true. Chapters and storylines were not reshuffled and/or rewritten to help TGO stand well on its own. Indeed, it appears that the novel is indeed "part 1" of what was meant to be TUC. 

The shit has hit the fan in the  Ishterebinth chapters, but this was the last chapter focusing on the NonMen storyline. And, of course, it ends in a cliffhanger. I hope that the other plotlines won't end in cliffhangers as well, for that would be frustrating.

There are 5 chapters left. Two focusing on the Great Ordeal, one on Momemn, and two focusing on Achamian and Mimara.

So it looks as though there won't be much in terms of resolution when we reach the last page. Which sucks.

The upside is that everything is setting the stage for what should be a great finale! :)

No sign of the Consult yet, though. . . :(

Patrick

gah. no surprise, though. TJE and WLW both felt like volumes of a continuing narrative with somewhat 'arbitrary' stopping points (i.e. minor resolution tied to cliffhangers), WLW much moreso. In a way, TAE has felt like a single book broken up into serialized volumes, something that TPoN did not. This is one reason why I still (so far) prefer the first trilogy to the second.

Hopefully it won't take long for TUC to come out. Like, six months :) 

There is no official release date at the moment.

One of the interview questions asks about whether or not there is a tentative release date for TUC. But given that Orbit has yet to commit to a pub date for TGO, I doubt that there are any definite plans regarding TUC.

It will probably depend on how well this book performs. . .

Patrick

Archived