Bakker XLIV: The Goddess of Negative Theology

lokisnow

Gah as a fifteen year veteran of this site (the slog of slogs!) I have a deep and abiding hatred of splitting books. This idea was Madness. Publish a complete book and include an ebook encyclopedia. Fucking book splits.

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Orbit isn't the main publisher though. I don't think they have any say in it.

That is correct. Overlook determines the publication date, and whether or not it will be published.

As you say, Scott has already confirmed that it will come out next year, they just need to determine what month.

As for the lack of lack of resolution ( though of course it's wait and see on how little resolution there is until Pat has finished TGO), that doesn't surprise me . They don't really seem to publish these volumes with the idea of a standalone read in my mind. That is why it would be good if TUC came out very quickly.

6 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Okay, 333 pages into the book and I'm calling it a night.

My biggest concern has just been proven true. Chapters and storylines were not reshuffled and/or rewritten to help TGO stand well on its own. Indeed, it appears that the novel is indeed "part 1" of what was meant to be TUC. 

The shit has hit the fan in the  Ishterebinth chapters, but this was the last chapter focusing on the NonMen storyline. And, of course, it ends in a cliffhanger. I hope that the other plotlines won't end in cliffhangers as well, for that would be frustrating.

There are 5 chapters left. Two focusing on the Great Ordeal, one on Momemn, and two focusing on Achamian and Mimara.

So it looks as though there won't be much in terms of resolution when we reach the last page. Which sucks.

The upside is that everything is setting the stage for what should be a great finale! :)

No sign of the Consult yet, though. . . :(

Patrick

It's definitely looking like this will be a buy and wait for part two for me. I'd much rather have a complete story as I'll wind up harsh on this one otherwise.

16 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Regarding the Ishuäl chapters, it appears that there are only two within the pages of TGO. . .

Patrick

Later:

There are 5 chapters left. Two focusing on the Great Ordeal, one on Momemn, and two focusing on Achamian and Mimara.

Hi Pat,

So you've already read two Ishual chapters before there are 5 chapters left of which two more focus on Ishual, can I conclude that there in total 4 chapters focusing on Ishual or at least the continuation of Akka and Mimara's story?

How many chapters do the Great Ordeal/Ishterebinth/Momemn storylines get if you tally up the totals for each? This is something that interests me :)

10 hours ago, kuenjato said:

gah. no surprise, though. TJE and WLW both felt like volumes of a continuing narrative with somewhat 'arbitrary' stopping points (i.e. minor resolution tied to cliffhangers), WLW much moreso. In a way, TAE has felt like a single book broken up into serialized volumes, something that TPoN did not. This is one reason why I still (so far) prefer the first trilogy to the second.

Hopefully it won't take long for TUC to come out. Like, six months :) 

the normal rate these days is six years, surely.

i prefer the first series over the second because it had a tension between DA's writing about the holy war, a completed past act with a foregone conclusion, and the principal narration, that inhabited the present moment and was emblematic of bakhtin's nezavershennost, or so.  

A surprisingly minor role, if any. To tell the truth, the entire Fanim invasion plotline has seen very little "air time". It looks as though most of it will take place in TUC. It started off on a high note, but the rest sort of petered out.

I've got one Momemn chapter left, but I doubt that things will change dramatically. The Momemn story arc is probably the most disappointing of TGO so far. Despite the amount of chapters focusing on that arc, it's definitely the one in which the tale progresses the least. . .

Having said that, the stage is set for lots of things to come.

Patrick

those are real spoilers.  by contrast, we all knew that there's a fight brewing.

Ya know, I just don't care that much. It's a spoiler and everyone's totally cool with it. Party on.

Back when it was supposed to be a single book, I had the feeling that the Consult would only really show up around the final two or three chapters. So this doesn’t surprise me at all. What I find surprising the lack of progress on the Fanim/Zeümi front. But maybe that whole part is not even important and the Momemn chapters are all about Kelmomas and Esmenet. I doubt that though.

I still think Meppa will play an important role in the next book.

I'm going to get TPON on audio and start doing a re-read/listen over the next 12 months to bide my time for part 2. Given I'll have to read TAE (which takes me longer as it's impossible to read a book while at work) I think i should be able to pace it in such a way that I can do the final 2 parts almost seamlessly. I'm hoping listening to it will provide a different experience too (I find it usually does).

Can't find audio of TJE or WLW but given the way of things I should be more surprised there're any audiobooks out.

Archived