Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lokisnow

Bakker XLIV: The Goddess of Negative Theology

16 hours ago, kuenjato said:

re-reading TWP right now, and a question emerged (one that I'm sure has been addressed hereabouts:) -- 

During the battle sequence around the midway point in the novel, a skin-spy masquerading as Kellhus seduces Serwe. She notes the gold haloes on the skin-spies' hands. What does this mean?

This is one of the BIG unanswered questions. It almost certainly has to do with the cryptic phrase "the circuit of watcher and watched that underwrites all existence."

other possibilities are : 

1) Serwe sees them because she is a woman and therefore crazy deluded and dumb like all of her gender; also religious people are stoopid, hurr! Ugh Serwe is so boring and stupid and dumb and ugh lets laugh at her being stupid and deluded while she's raped hyuk hyuk. Nothing to see here other than dumb woman can't you see this is proof of how dumb she is. Duh.

2) Serwe sees them because she is divine and sees Kellhus (her consort) as divine, so she bestows divinity when she looks upon whom she believes to be kellhus. This would be a watcher watched thing. 

3) the attacker had a glamour which taps in the circuit of watcher and watched in order to function so Serwe sees "kellhus" as she always sees him when she looks at the skin spy because magic has literally hotwired the circuit. This would be very similar, magically, to the cants of compulsion which Hotwire the circuits of your thoughts.

Yeah, there's a good question for Pat. Any revelations on the haloed hands, either direct or indirect?

Honestly until the book is in my hands I can't be sure about the pub date....

Anyway can't remember, did we ever compare the Inchies to the myth of Oannes?

From Chaldean Legends Transmitted Through Berosus And Other Ancient Authors:

In the first year there appeared, from that part of the Erythræan sea which borders upon Babylonia, an animal endowed with reason, by name Oannes, whose whole body (according to the account of Apollodorus) was that of a fish; that under the fish's head he had another head, with feet also below similar to those of a man, subjoined to the fish's tail. His voice, too, and language were articulate and human; and a representation of him is preserved even to this day...

... This being was accustomed to pass the day among men, but took no food at that season; and he gave them an insight into letters and sciences, and arts of every kind. He taught them to construct cities, to found temples, to compile laws, and explained to them the principles of geometrical knowledge. He made them distinguish the seeds of the earth, and showed them how to collect the fruits; in short, he instructed them in every thing which could tend to soften manners and humanize their lives. From that time, nothing material has been added by way of improvement to his instructions. And when the sun had set this being Oannes retired again into the sea, and passed the night in the deep, for he was amphibious.

On 10/5/2016 at 3:00 PM, Kalbear said:

Yeah, there's a good question for Pat. Any revelations on the haloed hands, either direct or indirect?

None that I can recall. . .

Patrick

Received a confirmation from amazon.com that The Great Ordeal will be shipped in early July. Huzzah! Closing in on the finish of TWP for my re-read.

Another oddity - how does Aurang change from the bird synthize to the black semen dude, apparently effortlessly, when their is internal discussion about 'condensing' his mighty soul in a small vessel & the image of Consult members muttering around his body back in Golgo.

30 minutes ago, kuenjato said:

Received a confirmation from amazon.com that The Great Ordeal will be shipped in early July. Huzzah! Closing in on the finish of TWP for my re-read.

Another oddity - how does Aurang change from the bird synthize to the black semen dude, apparently effortlessly, when their is internal discussion about 'condensing' his mighty soul in a small vessel & the image of Consult members muttering around his body back in Golgo.

The black semen dude is an illusion, as far as I can tell. It's a projection from the Synthese. It isn't an actual thing. 

...I actually think the first 700 pages of A Storm of Swords are worse than both previous books, so that's bad ;)

"Unfortunately, The Great Ordeal will never be more than the first part of what should have been one amazing novel."

so...according to Pat's review, Kellhus has a POV, albeit limited. Wow. Hopefully there will be more in TUC. 

The Ishuäl storyline features the POVs of Achamian, Mimara, and another character which must remain anonymous for now. Although it is the shortest as far as the page count is concerned, it is the one that offers the most "fuck me" moments. Especially the one near the end, which hits you like an uppercut and will blow your mind! 

*Unfuses sutures in sardonic anticipation.

11 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

My review is up! :)

You can find it here.

Cheers,

Patrick

Thanks, Pat!

5 hours ago, Hello World said:

This confirms that Madness was given a fake manuscript.

No, that confirms I am a lying liar who lies.

The Warrior-Prophet’s assassination. The rise of Anasûrimbor Moënghus to take his place.

Locke, you’ve pointed to this recently and said that maybe Moënghus did replace Kellhus at some point. Seeing that the only difference between Kellhus and Moe from the outside is their age, have you considered that what happened between Moe and Cnaiür at the end is similar to what happens between Psatma and the WLW?

18 hours ago, Kalbear said:

The black semen dude is an illusion, as far as I can tell. It's a projection from the Synthese. It isn't an actual thing. 

Didn't Bakker confirm the dude was a projection? Of course the question when is where the black semen comes from...

Glad the book is coming out, at this point even a 1/20 review wouldn't deter me.

I wonder if TGO's "lack" is the same as WLW and TJE. While both of those books had dedicated setpieces / climaxes, they really just ceased in the midst of a narrative. Pat, do you feel that TGO is more truncated/less fulfilling than the previous two volumes?

Yes, of course. Both TJE and TWLW were released as Bakker had always envisioned them. TGO is simply part one of two, with pretty much all the crazy shit taking place in the sequel. To all ends and purposes, though it's good and I'm happy to have something to read after a 5-year wait, it's still only half of the story we've been eagerly awaiting. . .

Patrick

The 2nd part is written, all things considered we're in much better shape than 6 months ago.

Excerpt coming on Monday, book 8 weeks away.

This is the easy part of the slog.