Bakker XLIV: The Goddess of Negative Theology

lokisnow

Guys,

Overlook and Orbit have been sitting on a manuscript whose last rewrite was turned in in December 2013. By the time TGO comes out, that will be about 2 and a half years.

I would love to see TUC get published next summer. But given the fact that Orbit have yet to commit to the July pub date, I wouldn't be surprised if things keep getting pushed back.

The only thing that could speed up the process is if TGO is a commercial success. Given the wait and the fact that TUC was split into two installments and that there is not even a tentative pub date for book 2, that's a long shot.

As much as I hate to say this, we may have to wait for a while for TUC. . . :(

Patrick

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Well, split, Great Ordeal still comes in at 500 pages, we have this confirmed. That makes it shorter than White Luck Warrior, but still a fair bit longer than The Judging Eye ( 420 pages).

The Unholy Consult would have added about 400 more pages according to Scott, plus a very large encyclopedig glossary. Combined in one book, this would have been a 1000 pages at least. This much we know from comments from Scott's blog.

So a split is reasonable, however obviously the way to ameliorate any issues for fans is to release the two finished books shortly together. 

300k is about 750 pages in a standard format. In hardcover you could easily fit it in a 600 pages book (last Erikson book is 356k in 830 pages, for example).

The Judging Eye, the shortest, is 151k (whoops, not the shortest, The Thousandfold Thought is 139k), so the split would make it the exact same size, if the two parts are equal.

2 hours ago, Hello World said:

He said TUC adds 400 pages on top of TGO without the glossary? The entire book pre-split without glossary is supposed to be around 300k words.

Yes that was what he estimated. Obviously this makes sense otherwise TUC would mainly be a glossary, wouldn't it?

I don't know that both TGO and TUC together would be a manuscript of the size you state by the way. Could be true though.

31 minutes ago, Gormenghast said:

300k is about 750 pages in a standard format. In hardcover you could easily fit it in a 600 pages book (last Erikson book is 356k in 830 pages, for example).

The Judging Eye, the shortest, is 151k, so the split would make it the exact same size, if the two parts are equal.

Hi Gormenghast,

Just to confirm once again what I said ( because it doesn't seem to get through, for whatever reason), TGO is confirmed as 500 pages of story. That means it comes in somewhere TJE and WLW. But going from your calculations, if TJE really is 151k, then TGO might be about 180k, at 500 pages... 

The remainder of the story ( some 400 pages plus huge glossary) will be published next year, as per Scott. Given all of these facts, splitting the book makes sense beacuse you're looking at 850-900 pages of story, plus a glossary that could go well over a 100 pages. 

10 hours ago, sologdin said:

oh, it's not like there's been five-year gaps with books nevertheless one year away in the past, certainly!  

even were volume VI/ii to follow immediately upon VI/i, it will as yet still defer key resolutions to VII.  and so then we will be freaking right the fuck out about the wait for VII.  and when we get VII, it will defer once again to VIII.  and so on.  there is accordingly no end to our trauma.  we must excogitate upon this, for, as the the cumulated durance stretches out indefinitely, i begin to forget the content of the narrative and recall only the suffering of the delay between serial installments.  is the cunuroization of the reader a maliciously intentional act by the author, or merely the byproduct of a casual cruelty?  which, indeed, is more culpable? and what retribution shall have been taken?

I love it. Only us, that have taken up the yoke of apocalypse, out of all readers will understand the slog within the pages and the slog outside. The Outside is more pliable to our wishes so i just do other shit while waiting.

Is this excerpt going to be part of a pay-package or free?

Also, did anyone else get the confirmation from Amazon that the book is confirmed for July? My preorder states July 11th-12th, though it sometimes comes early (they'll often ship it as soon as the physical copy arrives at the depot).

Bakker himself implied as much on his blog, https://rsbakker.wordpress.com/2015/11/22/on-ordeals-great-and-small-and-their-crashing/

But I need to get the plant back up and running, and quickly too, because… my UK publisher has finally come to terms on the fourth book.

I had intended on chronicling what’s been going on behind the scenes these past months, the ups and downs, the false starts, the miscommunications, but now I’m really not sure what purpose would be served outside prolonging the prolonging. The important thing is that The Great Ordeal will be published next year, and The Unholy Consult will be published the year following. The exact dates still need to be worked out between my US and UK publishers–I’ll pass those along as soon as I know them.

(Bakker’s italics).

Also from the comments...

The EG was the big reason for splitting the books, and its only thing still requiring any serious work. I’ve been writing fragments for the final series for years now–as soon as I’ve finished it and rewritten TUC, the final dualogy is my first priority.

54 minutes ago, Hello World said:

For all we know, GDM is waiting for Overlook to send them the excerpt on the 16th.

GdM said they received the excerpt when they received their ARC. Review is still going to be a while.

50 minutes ago, kuenjato said:

Is this excerpt going to be part of a pay-package or free?

Also, did anyone else get the confirmation from Amazon that the book is confirmed for July? My preorder states July 11th-12th, though it sometimes comes early (they'll often ship it as soon as the physical copy arrives at the depot).

Excerpt is free, going online on Grimdark Magazine, as their next issue is July.

Amazon e-mailed a purchase I made in the States regarding TGO Release Day delivery.

17 minutes ago, themerchant said:

Unfortunately i think this might be the case, GDM were told 3 hours ago they'd have it "soon".

GdM said "It'll be going up soon!" and then confirmed again on another comment. They didn't say anything about not having it.

Update from GdM facebook:

With sunlight starting to burst over the US of A, it's almost time for a rather special blog post featuring the first 10K words of THE GREAT ORDEAL by R. Scott Bakker!

We've got two whole chapters ready to go!

Archived