Which non Major house will play the biggest role in ASoIaF in the end and why

Kenton Stark

Just curious, Which non Lord Paramount, non major, or non royal house will play the biggest role in the outcome of the ASOIAF series and why ?

Usual suspects include

Dayne ( too much mystery , too many family members we've seen mentioned too often and held in high regard by too many characters, Dawn, etc)

Manderly's ( Richest in North, more than they seem, powerful and devious)

Redwynes ( Navy, probably 2nd most powerful non Lord paramount house, isolated on island to help limit the damage of the long night, self sufficient harvest ability)

Rowan ( Powerful house probably going to aid fAegon)

Tarly ( Big Randyl is tired of playing second fiddle to inferior Lords)

Hightower ( Most powerful non Lord Paramount house, historically major players, Oldtown, )

Yronwood ( ready to take back Dorne if Doran takes a misstep )

Blackwoods ( The most intriguing house. Materal side of family always seems to be around the most important events or people in history, Bloodraven, Aegon V's wife, etc, Dead weirwood tree, are they the original Warg Kings?)

Royce (First men house, BA warriors, appear to see through Littlefinger's misdirection, "Come Dance with me,"  )

Peake ( This time their Blackfyre  will finally win)

Payne ( Pod is more than he appears)

Plumm ( Lots of Dragons blood in those veins, wonder if it will come in handy)

Reed ( Knows sooo much. will it be revealed by Howland, will it matter if it is? Can the hold the neck against the WW to buy time similar to the 300 Spartans?  )

Mormonts ( will the women of Bear island be the dark horse than turns a significant  event? Again the island may help against the white walkers)

Ryswell/Dustin ( Does the barrow Kingdom rise again?)

Umbers ( The giants from Last hearth finally drop the hammer on folks? probably wishful thinking just because they are awesome characters.)

Crakehall ( All the talk of their Robust -ness, do they outlast everyone else to take control of the West after the long night.)

Tarth ( Do Duncan's decedents sneak in under the radar and pull out a major save like Dunk did a few times?)

Thoughts? 

19 minutes ago, Sullen said:

Considering the general events of the series? Frey and Bolton, definitively. (Though Bolton can be disqualified considering they became Lords Paramount)

Up to DWD , I agree with you. After TWOW...Like I said I'm curious. Dayne, Hightower or Blackwood are my best guesses right now.

Freys are a major house, in my opinion.  Edited to add:  I just saw specified "non-royal house" which broadens the field a lot, but not sure what it means, since Lords Paramount don't have kingly titles, except for the Princes of Dorne.  Does it mean non-Lord Paramount?  Or non Great Lord?  Or houses that were never kings in history?  Many of the ones in the original post are former kings or Great Lords (lords over multiple other lords, equivalent of dukes or petty kings).

I say the Dustins.  I subscribe to the theory that some of the Barrowlands people, particularly Lady Barbrey, have the ability to commune with the dead, and she has been talking with Ned's bones and knows a lot of secrets.

The most important i think will be Baelish, but since he is lord paramount taht may make im a major house. So then i would chose/guess that it will be House Blackwood mostly for their connection to Bloodraven, and their feud with House bracken. Maybe the Blackwoods will move north later in asoiaf, as the seven are growing stronger in the south? Or will anyone going aginst the old gods meet the fate of House Teague? House Teague was the last riverkings to hold the riverlands before foreigners took over like Starks, Hoares, Targaryens, Durrandons, House teague tried to supress the sizeble minority of old gods in the riverlands (maybe 10-20%) with the help of the faith millitant but ended furing the battle of six kings when all the members of the house perished atllesst all the male members.

Major Houses in my opinion are

North: Stark, Bolton, Manderly

Iron Isles: Greyjoy, Harlaw,

Riverlands: Tully, Frey, Baelish

Vale: Arryn, Royce, Baelish

Westerlands: Lannister "Only a lannister can hold the westerlands"

Crownlands: Targaryen, Blackfyre, Baratheon, Lannister "i see Cersei's brood as lannister even if they belong to house baratheon"

Reach: Tyrell, Hightower, Florent, Peake, Redwyne, Tarly

Stormlands: Baratheon, Connington, Lannister

Dorne: Martell, Yronwood

1 hour ago, Byrnard Sandors said:

Freys are a major house, in my opinion.  Edited to add:  I just saw specified "non-royal house" which broadens the field a lot, but not sure what it means, since Lords Paramount don't have kingly titles, except for the Princes of Dorne.  Does it mean non-Lord Paramount?  Or non Great Lord?  Or houses that were never kings in history?  Many of the ones in the original post are former kings or Great Lords (lords over multiple other lords, equivalent of dukes or petty kings).

I say the Dustins.  I subscribe to the theory that some of the Barrowlands people, particularly Lady Barbrey, have the ability to commune with the dead, and she has been talking with Ned's bones and knows a lot of secrets.

What kind of secrets? What does Neds bones tell her? What do dead ned wants?

I'm going with Tarly. Sam discovered the Others' kryptonite and Randyll is probably the second most influential man in the realm as it stands (probably #1, considering Margaery's on his custody). Not to mention that he won a pretty important battle against the forces of the North. 

7 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I'm going with Tarly. Sam discovered the Others' kryptonite and Randyll is probably the second most influential man in the realm as it stands (probably #1, considering Margaery's on his custody). Not to mention that he won a pretty important battle against the forces of the North. 

I agree.

I would also add house Martel. All of the plotting has to come to some kind of result. I would hope. 

I just saw that the Martel's are considered a major house and thus not a sufficient answer. Then I would say the house Manderly will be a huge influence on what's going on in the north. 

Dayne - So much intrigue and mystery surrounds them.  I feel like they are just lurking under the surface, waiting to erupt.

Reed - Howland has some revealing to do.  Plus his kids are Bran's protectors.  I feel that this will become important.

Tarth - Brienne will play a major role in the future, hopefully as a protector for the Starks.

While I consider Sam as an important character, I don't think of him as a Tarly; he gave that up when he joined the NW.

Frey and Hightower I consider major houses as they are powerful enough to ignore their liege lord when they feel like it.

That's a sweet list, OP.  To be fair we have an unusual look in on the families in the North because so much story takes place in the North.  We like most of the Northern houses.   But those houses are changing a great deal and in this I have to include the Nights Watch even though they aren't necessarily politically entwined in any realm.   For all we know each of the High Lords has fiercely loyal and treacherous factions in their domains.   We've actually seen a great deal of the Riverlands supplicants who all appear to be remarkably loyal to the Tullys and even the Starks.  Look at the following Renly was able to amass to usurp a throne from the Stormlands, perhaps the greatest among them the Tyrells.  (This alone indicates to me that the Tyrells are mighty players.)  Could Stannis have gained that same support had he not been sequestered away at Dragonstone?   Is a win at Winterfell sure to gain him Northern support? 

I think we are safe to conclude that the Daynes, Reeds and Hightowers will figure prominently in future events.  But I think we sell Westeros and endgame very short in not considering the smallfolk.   Though they certainly haven't mattered much in events at all.   The Riverlands appear to be pulsing with rage just below the surface at the Freys and Lannisters.   It often looks like an insurgence waiting to happen in the Riverlands with the BWB holding such enormous secret power and influence.  Not so very different in the Vale as it's clear not all the LD are slimeballs and they are up to something decidedly not in the LPs best interest. It will be interesting to the Reach and if they suffer like the rest of the realm. 

Probably one of the Reach houses (Hightower, Tarly, or Florent)

Hightowers are tied to the CItadel which should be big for the future of the series,

Tarly is a major battle commander for the biggest army in Westeros and right-hand man to the Hand of the King.

Florents are Red God worshipers which could become important.

• 2 months later...

Archived