Best Fighters/Swordsmen?

Just a thread for people to add who they think the top 10 fighters/swordsmen in the lore.

Personally mine are:

1) Daemon Blackfyre

2) Arthur Dayne

3) Barristan Selmy

4) Aegon the Conqueror

5) Jaime Lannister

6) Aemon the Dragonknight

7) Ryam Redwyne

8) Garlan Tyrell 

9) Cregan Stark

10) Daemon Targaryen 

14 hours ago, Beautiful Bloody Sword said:

1. Arthur Dayne

2. Daemon Blackfyre

3. Barristen Selmy

4. Jaime Lannister

5. Rhaegar Targaryen

6. Andrik the Unsmiling

7. Daemon Targar

8. Qhorin Halfhand

9. Mance Rayder

10. Dalton Greyjoy

first ones are all great. Rhaegar though? certainly was a skilled fighter but I would not rank him so high, surely Robert would come before him if you were putting him so high? Same with Andrik we haven't heard much of him bar that he's a fierce warrior (I reckon Victarion could take him). 7-10 are solid.

• 2 weeks later...

From those we actually get to see fight in the series, i'm mostly impressed by the Halfhand. The description os his mock-fight with Jon is... Well, impressive. And Jon tells Sam if Qhorin was fighting for real he could've squashed him like a bug. Jon, who was skilled enough to beat Iron Emmett, best sword of Eastwatch-by-the-sea, in a rage, even though he usually was pummelled by him. Maybe something like Robert's strenght would prove too much for him, but as far as "swordsman" goes I think he takes the cake.

Also I'd name House Tyrell's heir apparent's one heterosexual brother who spars against three men at once, and is big enough to fill Renly's armor.

And a sober Sandor. And then there's Gregor. He's just ridiculous. No way a man that tall could be muscular or a skilled fighter, his spine wouldn't be able to keep it happening. Anyway, If Oberyn's spear wasn't powerfully poisoned he'd still be, if not alive and kicking, at least alive and limping, while Oberyn would still be a snake's cinders. By the time he climbed on Gregor's chest I'd say he was ready to finish Gregor off, despite his demands for a confession. He just couldn't.

But of course, what y'all seem to forget is that Westeros' unbeatable wildcard has a name, and that name is Clarence Crabb.

I'd feel sorry for all those bozos.

1. Daemon Blackfyre

2. Arthur Dayne

3. Rhaegar Targaryen

4. Aegon Targaryen/Criston Cole

5. Aemon Targaryen/Cregan Stark

6. Baelor Targaryen

7. Daemon Targaryen

8. Jaimie Lannister/Sir Barristan Selmy/Gerold Hightower

9. Robert Baratheon/Hound/Mountain/Oberyn Martell

10. Jon Snow/Loras Tyrell

I would put Khal Drogo also somewhere on the list. He fought all his life and the life of a dothraki is a tough one. He could probably withstand to more pain than any other knight in westeros but of course skill with your weapon is more important because that's no box fight. If you count the fight with Mago in the show i am sure Drogo would be in the top 10.

On 5/14/2016 at 11:42 PM, Tukos G said:

1. Daemon Blackfyre

2. Arthur Dayne

3. Rhaegar Targaryen

4. Aegon Targaryen/Criston Cole

5. Aemon Targaryen/Cregan Stark

6. Baelor Targaryen

7. Daemon Targaryen

8. Jaimie Lannister/Sir Barristan Selmy/Gerold Hightower

9. Robert Baratheon/Hound/Mountain/Oberyn Martell

10. Jon Snow/Loras Tyrell

Garlan Tyrell is a better swordsman than his brother, as Loras freely admits. He trains against three or four men at a time and fought on the Blackwater. As for Jon, he ought to be behind Qhorin. Not sure what Rhaegar is doing up there either. He lost to Robert in single combat.

On May 14, 2016 at 0:51 AM, Knight of the Red Tree said:

From those we actually get to see fight in the series, i'm mostly impressed by the Halfhand. The description os his mock-fight with Jon is... Well, impressive. And Jon tells Sam if Qhorin was fighting for real he could've squashed him like a bug. Jon, who was skilled enough to beat Iron Emmett, best sword of Eastwatch-by-the-sea, in a rage, even though he usually was pummelled by him. Maybe something like Robert's strenght would prove too much for him, but as far as "swordsman" goes I think he takes the cake.

Also I'd name House Tyrell's heir apparent's one heterosexual brother who spars against three men at once, and is big enough to fill Renly's armor.

And a sober Sandor. And then there's Gregor. He's just ridiculous. No way a man that tall could be muscular or a skilled fighter, his spine wouldn't be able to keep it happening. Anyway, If Oberyn's spear wasn't powerfully poisoned he'd still be, if not alive and kicking, at least alive and limping, while Oberyn would still be a snake's cinders. By the time he climbed on Gregor's chest I'd say he was ready to finish Gregor off, despite his demands for a confession. He just couldn't.

But of course, what y'all seem to forget is that Westeros' unbeatable wildcard has a name, and that name is Clarence Crabb.

I'd feel sorry for all those bozos.

Who's to say the mountain isn't still alive and kicking? Cersei's mystery knight Ser Robert Strong seems to be a zombie ire mountain. 

I would also have Ser Duncan the Tall somewhere in there. He always was better with a sword. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1.) Jamie Lannister  (before maiming... and maybe he's going to get better than before.)

2.) The Dragonknight/ Arthur Dayne

3.) Barristan Selmy/ Ryam Redwine

4.) Daemon Blackfyre/ Gwayne Corbray

5.) Quentyn Ball

6.) Bittersteel/ Duncan the Tall

7.)  Sandor Clegane/ Oberyn Martell

8.) Khal Drogo

9.) Brienne of Tarth

10.) Bronn/ Lynn Corbray

So, I didn't put the Mountain on here..... I just can't decide where to squeeze him in. I feel like anyone on this list, and anyone in general, could have finished him off from the point where he killed the Viper. Oberyn was just careless at the end. Anyway, this list can't be made without at least considering Ser Gregor...

Weighing feats, writers statements and accolades, I'd say: 

1. Barristan Selmy - I can't think of another character in the series who has more feats and accolades. The man is a machine of combat, even in his sixties. 
  2. Arthur Dayne 
  3. Aemon the Dragonknight 
  4. Jaime Lannister 
  5. Maegor the Cruel
  6. Daemon Blackfyre*
  7. Robert Baratheon 
  8. Cregan Stark
  9. Sandor Clegane 
  10. Qhorin Halfhand*

Honourable mentions:

• Khal Drogo. Drogo couldn't beat a decently skilled man in plate, it would take too long to work out where the weak spots are, but take them out of the armour, and he's in the very highest of tiers in my opinion, so I think he deserves a nod. 
  • Garlan Tyrell - Trains against four men at a time and better than Loras who is held in high high regards by Martin. Need to see him in action.
  • Gregor Clegane - In a battle, he's pretty much unstoppable, his brute strength, thick plate and the ease with which he swings his greatsword. In single combat, I think he's less effective (though still very dangerous). 
  • H'razz - As the best pit fighter in Meereen, and by extension, perhaps the world given Meereen is the capital of pit fighting,  I think he deserves a nod. He cannot make the top ten for the same reasons as Drogo. 
  • Syrio Forel - Past his prime and fighting with a wooden sword he beat five well armoured (not full plate though) Lannister guards... yeah, he has to get a nod. 
  • Strong Belwas
  • Ryam Redwyne

There are a lot of others we know were 'great' but not much else, like Aegon I for example. Daemon I'm sort of giving the benefit of the doubt, I just think he really was that good. 

Garlan might be the best swordsman around going into TWOW, we'll need to see how the likes of Andrik compare and just how badly Sandor's wound impacts him. I'd wager not by too much and that he'll adjust to it.

I don't think Jon is ever going to be touching that top 10, but Martin made a point of having him train extensively in ADWD, plus he has the advantage of Longclaw, so I expect him to become a respectably badass warrior. Tumcho Lo undoubtedly has the most potential, we likely would have seen it if Martin had gone ahead with the 5 year gap. Given the gap Jon and Edric Dayne would likely be significantly better warriors, Arya too. 

*Was unsure about 10, but I decided on the Halfhand in the end, he was already a great swordsman before his maiming, afterwards he was legendary, what's more, he was tempered by necessity, surviving day in and day out with his sword. Additionally, Jon, a respectably skilled swordsman with a Valyrian steel blade, stated Qhorin could have squashed him. This is the one I'm least sure of, but I'm going to go with Qhorin. 

1. Arthur Dayne 

2. Aemon the Dragonknight

3. Barristan Selmy 

4.  Jaime Lannister 

5. Rhaegar Targaryen 

6. Daemon Blackfyre 

7. Quentyn Ball

8. Aegon Targaryen 

9. Ryam Redwyne

10. Jon Snow 

Also a mention to Robert Baratheon that I don't put in the list above because he used a warhammer 

On 19/06/2016 at 11:17 PM, Lars Penry said:
  • Robert Baratheon 
  •  

• 1 month later...
On 19/06/2016 at 11:17 PM, Lars Penry said:

Weighing feats, writers statements and accolades, I'd say: 

1. Barristan Selmy - I can't think of another character in the series who has more feats and accolades. The man is a machine of combat, even in his sixties. 
  2. Arthur Dayne 
  3. Aemon the Dragonknight 
  4. Jaime Lannister 
  5. Maegor the Cruel
  6. Daemon Blackfyre*
  7. Robert Baratheon 
  8. Cregan Stark
  9. Sandor Clegane 
  10. Qhorin Halfhand*

Really? The only reason Bob is behind the first 6 is if we NEGATE feats, author quotes or accolades

By feats Robert is either 1, or sharing 1 with Selmy, unless we are speaking of swords alone... because he has more kills than the rest, better genetics, better weapon, and confirmed by the author to have legendary prowess with said superior weapon... so he's not behind those 6 that's for sure, equals dayne and barri but still has the advantages

I'm basing my list entirely off characters still alive at the beginning of the first book. The top 10 best warriors in Westeros, in my opinion, in order:

1. Sandor Clegane.
2. Ser Jaime Lannister.
3. Ser Garlan Tyrell.
4. Ser Barristan Selmy.
5. Areo Hotah.
6. Ser Lyn Corbray.
7. Prince Oberyn Martell.
8. Ser Gregor Clegane.
9. Bronze Yohn Royce.
10. Ser Loras Tyrell.

So, a couple of notes...

Sandor, Jaime and Garlan are basically so close in skill that you could flip a coin. Barristan, in his prime would certainly be in that conversation, as would Arthur Dayne, (prime) Robert Baratheon and probably Prince Aemon the Dragonknight. As it stands though, while George has gone out of the way show us Barristan is still better than most knights in Westeros, he is no spring chicken. It's astounding Barry is still as good as he is even in his early 60's, but when you're going up against fighters who could arguably beat you in your prime, that slight slowing of his ability would be all the difference.

Sandor is No #1 for consistently being considered a dangerous fighter and having the feats to back it up. He's the chosen sworn sword for the Prince, he defeats three dangerous fighters at the same time while drunk, soundly defeats a very competent Beric Dondarrion again while drunk and having to overcome a huge emotional barrier, and last but not least holds his own (and arguably looks more impressive) against an enraged genetic freak of nature, his brother the Mountain. Jaime also puts him in his list of characters who are stronger than himself.

GRRM, the word of God, stated that Jaime was (or at least is one of) the best. In the same interview, George throws out Loras as another fighter who should be considered in that conversation, and In-Universe Loras admits Garlan is in fact the better swordsman. So, that's my minimal justification for Garlan being so high on the list, but I don't think it is without merit.

Oberyn's systematic beatdown of Gregor has to be the most underrated feat in the entire series. As if your average knight could pull off such a plan of attack with the same ease Oberyn showed. Bronn, for example, weighed his chances with the same strategy, and wisely backed out knowing the risk involved. Oberyn, on the other hand, took said game plan, executed it to (near) perfection and made it look easy. I don't know if there are fans of Boxing or MMA on these boards, but even someone with basic knowledge of those sports knows a competent fighter doesn't go into a fight without a plan of attack and experts obviously aren't stupid enough to disparage a fighter for executing that game plan well. Oberyn showed flexibility, speed, mental acumen and tremendous skill. Even the very best fighters in the series couldn't take Gregor lightly, while Oberyn showed he is definitively better than Gregor and objectively should be in anyone's top 10 list.

Just my two cents.

Archived