How would you rate episode 601?

Ran

How would rate episode 601?  

600 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

7 hours ago, JonSnowed said:

Exactly it's clear trolling and likely they are doing it just out of blind hatred because it's spoiling the books in their eyes.  If people are genuinely unable to provide a balanced view why don't they just say nothing and stick to other sub-sections.  This site used to be great, sure there was some criticism but now it's becoming a ghost town where only trolls dwell with a few odd exceptions.

As an aside a lot press and reviews are describing the red women as potentially the best of any opening episode so far, hardly reflective of 20% of viewers thinking it deserves 1 out of 10.

Why is it "clear trolling"? Just because you disagree with those who gave it a 1? Why is one opinion more valid than another? Why is your opinion more valid than the opinions of those who disagree with you? Who made you the king of valid opinions? 

I gave it a 3. I didn't like any of it, and the best I can say is that there were maybe a couple of scenes that weren't bad/very bad/offensive. But I am aware that this is just my opinion. I'm also aware that there are many, many people who disagree with me, and that's fine; but I am still entitled to have an opinion of my own, and I stand by my rating.

As to your opinion that people who are rating the episode 1 are doing it out of hatred because the show is spoiling the books, I obviously can't speak for anyone else's reasons but my own, and to me that has no bearing whatsoever on my disliking the show nor on how I rate episodes. Because I don't think the show will spoil much at all, and because I don't love the books for its plot point checks. I have no interest in stories that are all about plot points/twists; that's why the books only get better each time I re-read them. 

I also beg to differ on the statements that "this site used to be great" and that now "it's a ghost town where only trolls dwell with a few odd exceptions". Do you even realise how silly those arguments are? This forum is great, and I would have thought that that is your opinion as well since, you know, you are here every day. And "ghost town"? Really? Really? Could have fooled me, since the traffic only seems to increase year after year. 

But let's say, for argument's sake, that you are right, and the forum is a terrible dungeon of horrors where only trolls dwell. Why not leave then? Are you a masochist? It's ok if you are, unlike you, I'm all for people being able to like or dislike whatever they want. ;)

Edited by kissdbyfire

If it weren't for a couple of very well acted scenes, such as Sansa accepting Brienne into her service (the utter ridiculousness of her forgetting the words to the pledge of fealty, lol wut?), Melisandre's reveal and Davos's scenes ... I probably would have gave it a 1. Instead I gave it a three.

I'm giving it a 2, solely because Carice's acting at the end of the episode.

Dany/Dothraki was just more rape jokes, Tyrion is a facelessman-level disguise by dressing up as a merchant, Daario/Jorah was unremarkable, the waif takes her usual sadistic pleasure in making life hell for Arya (and apparently super assassin training takes place in public), Jaime/Cersei don't feel the need to talk about Cersei's events, and then there is Dorne, which is so bad, it spins off multiple plot holes every time it shows up on screen.  Sansa continues to be dumber than a bag of rocks, Brienne continues her habit of screaming at the top of her lungs before every blade moment, and fucking Ramsay gets a scene mourning Myranda.  (Seriously, if Dorne gets anywhere near this amount of time in any episode for the rest of the season, it is almost guaranteed going to be 3 or lower).  

I don't see how someone can legitimately give this shit a good rating.  

I gave it a 4. It had a very different feel than the prior seasons...Sansa should be stronger, yet she seems weaker. (but she was getting stronger, or so it seemed?) It seemed unorganized, and badly acted ...Ramsey cared about Myranda? lol Right. That was news to me. The Arya plot is boring, and the scene with Cersei and Jaime even seemed dull and rushed.

Hoping it gets better. :/

Edited by *Deidre*

On April 25, 2016 at 10:07 PM, The Northern Scholar said:

And inconsistent within the show's own internal logic.

This is becoming a huge problem as they stray more from the books.  Characters' personalities and motivations are completely different than in previous episodes out of nowhere.  It would be one thing if the characters developed slowly or were triggered.  But, they just change.  It's like a comic book or bad soap.  Stannis was a great general, but gets routed by psycho Ramsey.  The Sand Snakes get revenge for Killing a Martell by Killing more Martells?  The fleet in Meeren was burned why exactly?  

As good as the show was the first few seasons, it has been mediocre at best the last 11 episodes.  

I gave it a 1 because next to nothing happened, beyond the joke of Dorne.  Add in the ridiculousness of Tyrion's story, Cersei-Jaime nonsense and Arya getting beaten in the streets.  It had a few mildly offensive items and you get a very poor show.  Season 4 ended on a cliffhanger Jon Snow dying and what do we get? Davos etal cliffhanger.  Poor writing

As far as I can see, it's mainly the people that give low ratings (1 to 3) that also give a clear explanation why they don't like it.

And pretty much all of them can be translated to: I still hate that D&D removed certain parts of the book (and all the things they had to change to make it fit again). 

I can't say you don't have the right to complain about it. But I think you should accept the fact that this is the show and your constant crying (about 'were are the greyjoys', 'Sansa didn't get raped in the books', 'Why is the Jamie plot different', 'Where is Arriene and why is the Dorne plot different') won't change anything. Just accept the show as it is and forget about the books (I know, it's hard). Yes there are plotholes, but there are plotholes in GRRMs work too, if you just dig deep enough you will always find things that won't matter. But that doesn't make it a terrible show. 

I'm just sick and tired that people rate an episode basicly on arguments like 'Doran & Hotah got killed off so easy, but they are so badass in the books'. 

I gave it a 3, I despise what they've done to Dorne. The only parts that I liked were when poor Ghost was howling and trying to get to Jon and when we see Cersei's joy turn to ash (I adore Lena Headey).  

Plus the dialogue was just painful. Seriously, after bad pussy, we get white pussy? :////

Edited by MotherofStrife

I'm a very big fan of the books and the show and I gave it a rating of a 4. In my mind, that is being very generous. Here's all the major problems I had with the season premiere.

1. Every brother who happens to find Jon is loyal

2. Thorne's reasoning for killing Jon is mute since what's done is done and the free folk are past the wall...yet every brother is persuaded 

3. Brienne shows up at the perfect moment, even though I'm assuming Theon went nowhere near the battlefield, the location Brienne was currently at. 

4. Brienne/Pod/Theon kill 5 men. They're approached by 6 men and two dogs. Did the man with the dogs simply run off at the sight of a woman?

5. Jaime comes ashore and Robert Strong is standing behind Cersei. Does Jaime not notice this mountain of a man that is also his newest brother of the king's guard? Was looking forward to their meeting.

6. All of Dorne. So should we expect all of Dorne to rally behind the bastard born paramour of the second son? The other houses of Dorne will only begin to fight one another for power. The sand snakes want revenge for the Martells, so they kill the remaining Martells? Just horrible. 

I pray the writing improves greatly. 

28 minutes ago, Attitude said:

As far as I can see, it's mainly the people that give low ratings (1 to 3) that also give a clear explanation why they don't like it.

And pretty much all of them can be translated to: I still hate that D&D removed certain parts of the book (and all the things they had to change to make it fit again). 

I can't say you don't have the right to complain about it. But I think you should accept the fact that this is the show and your constant crying (about 'were are the greyjoys', 'Sansa didn't get raped in the books', 'Why is the Jamie plot different', 'Where is Arriene and why is the Dorne plot different') won't change anything. Just accept the show as it is and forget about the books (I know, it's hard). Yes there are plotholes, but there are plotholes in GRRMs work too, if you just dig deep enough you will always find things that won't matter. But that doesn't make it a terrible show. 

I'm just sick and tired that people rate an episode basicly on arguments like 'Doran & Hotah got killed off so easy, but they are so badass in the books'. 

I view the show and the books as 2 entirely different entities, which they are. But when you have glaring plot holes and stuff that is so outlandish and nonsensical in just about every major/action scene it starts heading towards just being a terrible show. I can take things being different from the books but this is just getting to be like any normal, crappy network show that happens to be able to show tits and swear.

There was a time when I couldn't wait for this show to come on and I'd watch a repeat of it like the next day, but it's just gotten to the point where I'm on my Ipad 10 minutes into it and I'm just going through the motions. It's like a girlfriend or boyfriend that you know you're gonna break up with but you just can't pull the trigger for whatever reason. 

I also gave this episode a 2.

Edited by Ramsay Blow

49 minutes ago, Attitude said:

Totally agreed. Getting rather boring now, isn't it?

I felt like without the source material to tie everything together, D&D looked down at all the frayed plot threads in their hands and said to themselves "burn them." 

GRMM's story is like a beautiful windy road that is fun and an adventure to travel on. When D&D are either forced or decide to adapt that experience they tend to iron out the bends and draw straight lines. The "drive" as it were, falls flat, gets stale, and is really just boring.

Now inventing plot on their own, trying to connect whatever threads they are still trying to hold on to, they're producing some really dry, uninspired, and--saddest of all--typical content.

Most worrying, I feel as if the trend of the remainder of this show will be: 

- invented plot-line, butchered plot-line, boring plot-line

- actual interesting plot-device from source material akwardly spoiled among the muck

- invented plot-line, butchered plot-line, boring plot-line

...rated a 2

2 hours ago, Attitude said:

No, it is about the fact Ellaria decided to kill the brother and the nephew of Oberyn, the guy who greatest desire was to revenge the death of his sister and her children. 

It is about the fact Elllaria says "weak men cannot rule" while at the same time it is said Doran does care about his people and doesn't want to risk their safety for REVENGE. 

It is about the fact Ellaria and Sandsnakes are just four one-dimensional female villains without any other emotion than ANGER and DESIRE for REVENGE while at the same time we should see this as a form of empowerment? 

The problems with Dorne is big enough without you would even compare it to the books. 

And in the end it is not wrong to say you do not like a certain storyline because it is different from the books. Some people here really love certain parts of the books and they can feel disappointed if it is changed from the books. There is nothing wrong with that. 

1 hour ago, Justin Danford said:

GRMM's story is like a beautiful windy road that is fun and an adventure to travel on. When D&D are either forced or decide to adapt that experience they tend to iron out the bends and draw straight lines. The "drive" as it were, falls flat, gets stale, and is really just boring.

Pretty much what I think. The show set itself apart from others because it didn't rely on cliched and obvious TV writing and tropes. It saddens me to see it become this way.

It's the little things that make the writing seem so lazy. Like they didn't bother to explain how the Sand Snakes got on that boat and why no one was protecting the freaking heir to Dorne (He is Doran's only kid in the show right, they didn't mention anyone else). Did they take over the boat? How did they catch up to it? Did they kill all the guards? Will they blame it on the Lannisters? Or when the guards at the gates of Vale were just like "whatevs" when the Hound claimed to have Arya Stark with him. "Oh, you're Arya Stark, we thought all the Starks other than Sansa were dead and this kind of makes you the heir to Winterfell since your sister is missing, we'll just let you go tho, your aunt's dead gtfo". I mean, I definitely don't think wanting explanations for these is asking to be spoonfed. These details just make the world believable and ground it in reality imo.

Edited by MotherofStrife

A solid start 7 from me - which seems to be the consensus. The usual season premier - a slow start to check in with everyone deal. But enough meat there to get excited for what may come.

Loved The Wall stuff and the Mel scene.

I don't think that the plot is going to be all that different from the books, so the people that are dying here will be dead soon in the books if we ever get them. Also, I never found Doran or Dorne exciting in the books or the show, so I'm hoping the fact Doran is dead may help propel the Dorne plot on to something a bit more gripping.

There were one of two moments of 'huh?'- the Sandsnakes on the boat for instance, but honestly, these are minor issues. I can think 'that was a bit odd', but by the end of the scene I've moved on.

Reading some of the votes above it does seem others are watching with their notepads and books to hand jotting down all the stuff they don't like, however trivial, and hovering over the '1' button as soon as the episode ends. Not telling anyone what to think, but c'mon the first 5 posts are 1 or equivalent comments? It's clear some people have given up on liking the show themselves and now just want to hate it just so they can shout how much they hate it.

I gave it a 5. Not really good, but not terribly bad.

I like the Wall and Sansa meeting Brienne! Will they go North now? Or directly South?

Kings Landing was ok. I don't think Jamie is totally off, he just lost his daughter and has to handle Cercei, so that was fine. I still see him with Brienne in the long run. Dany was fine, though it was surprising, that they didn't recognize the blonde wife of the greatest Khal. Tyrion and Varys were ok, though a bit boring.

Dorne. Well. Clearly they changed a lot of characters in Dorne compared to the book, and I can see, that this is frustrating. They got rid of several characters, including fAegon, probably had to for the majority of the viewers and distributed the plot lines to others. But that is the way it is and I can accept it. Makes my life much easier ;)  Don't have to like the Sand Snakes, but as has been said already, somebody needs to start that war with the Lannisters!

Having said that, the Sand Snakes materializing on the KL boat to kill Trystane was ... surprising... :wacko:

Mel was cool!! Don't think, that she is Targ though, she is old enough to have white hair without being Targ.

I do not expect Jon to come back maybe until Ep 3, but it should not be later. And for me, fire is enough to do the trick. Blood of the dragon! Any zombie scenario would not work, since then Jon would not be special.

Looking forward to the next episonde!

2 hours ago, Attitude said:

No, it boils down to this. Good writing and bad writing. The books are well written, the show is not. Sure you can find some holes in the books if you nitpick it but the holes on the show are glaring. I'm not talking about book v show, I'm looking at the show as it's own entity, and the writing is just rubbish. I'm not complaining about Areo getting killed easily, I'm talking about the total improbability that a bunch of psycho bastard girls could take over Dorne so easily. I'm talking about why they didn't just kill Mycella and Trystane, and Jaime too for that matter, while they were still in Dorne? Why let them on the ship, poison one before the ship has left sight of the Dornish coast and then ride?/sail? all the way to Kings Landing to kill the other on the hope that he will still be accessible in the cabin of his ship and not in say locked away in a Black Cell instead? Are you really attempting to defend that?

The show is nonsense. 3 is generous.

18 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Crazy crack pot thought - what if Mel somehow reincarnated stannis into Jon's body?  Would make her prophecies look a whole lot more accurate!  

Love it

18 hours ago, Tijgy said:

0 +2 bonus points for direwolf screen time

Yep we need alot more 

15 hours ago, RattleSnake said:

There are many plotholes throughout the seasons and as the story progresses they sure do come back to bite D+D's asses. 

Indeed 

14 hours ago, RhaeBee said:

Footnote: I really hoped for a closure about Stannis. Off screen death is no death, especially on Game of Thrones where sometimes even on screen death isn't death either. Is he surely 100% finished? 

Evil Footnote: I wonder how many of those 49 people voted 1 just to hate on the show... Not that it's any of my business. 

Haha I do think he isn't dead (like the hound )

7 hours ago, Lord of Brewtown said:

This is becoming a huge problem as they stray more from the books.  Characters' personalities and motivations are completely different than in previous episodes out of nowhere.  It would be one thing if the characters developed slowly or were triggered.  But, they just change.  It's like a comic book or bad soap.  Stannis was a great general, but gets routed by psycho Ramsey.  The Sand Snakes get revenge for Killing a Martell by Killing more Martells?  The fleet in Meeren was burned why exactly?  

As good as the show was the first few seasons, it has been mediocre at best the last 11 episodes.  

Agree

Ramsey  and his dam 20good men grr