Discussing Sansa XX: Run, Sansa, run...

Mladen

So, new season brings a lot of new questions and quite the conundrum with respect to what is actually happening with Sansa, both on TV and the books. One thing is sure, she did survive the jump and now her storyarc brings as many questions as possible...

The usual recommendations stand, especially on Sansa thread :) Be nice and play nice... Welcome to the Sansa threads and let we just hope that young Miss Turner's talk about "empowerment and strength" really comes to fruition this year.

7 minutes ago, The Northern Scholar said:

I mean, it's hard to reconcile the courtesy armor that protected her in King's Landing with the woman who forgot the vow on the show.

Exactly... And to have Pod remind her, of all the people... God, almighty...

The editing and writing was abysmal. For a split of a second I caught myself thinking "She will warg the dog" and then I realized what I was watching.

19 minutes ago, The Northern Scholar said:

I mean, it's hard to reconcile the courtesy armor that protected her in King's Landing with the woman who forgot the vow on the show.

If they are showing character growth (and that's an "if". We don't know whether they'll give her character growth) she needs to start somewhere and grow into the role of Warden of the North. So getting her to forget the vow, which she hasn't heard in ages and was just saved by being eat by hounds, puts her at the bottom of the staircase of her (supposed) journey this season.

In any case, I'd love to have her dog disappearing device. Once the dog handler let loose the dogs, those dogs should have attacked Sansa. Instead, they were gone to wherever bitches go.

4 minutes ago, Pies are coming said:

If they are showing character growth (and that's an "if". We don't know whether they'll give her character growth) she needs to start somewhere and grow into the role of Warden of the North. So getting her to forget the vow, which she hasn't heard in ages and was just saved by being eat by hounds, puts her at the bottom of the staircase of her (supposed) journey this season.

In any case, I'd love to have her dog disappearing device. Once the dog handler let loose the dogs, those dogs should have attacked Sansa. Instead, they were gone to wherever bitches go.

I mean, I suppose. But since this thread is about the show and books, I'll again say it's extremely hard to remember that Show!Sansa is completely different. Because the Sansa we get in the books has faced difficult and high stress situations and always remembered her courtesies. 

Well let's see. For the last few weeks Sansa has been brutalized by Ramsey on a nightly basis. She just jumped off a wall and somehow manged to survive. She was running through the snow getting by dogs and men on horses.  Had to cross an icy river and then was almost captured again before Brienne and Pod saved her.  And people are shocked that she might have had some difficulty remembering a couple of lines of an oath?

14 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Well let's see. For the last few weeks Sansa has been brutalized by Ramsey on a nightly basis. She just jumped off a wall and somehow manged to survive. She was running through the snow getting by dogs and men on horses.  Had to cross an icy river and then was almost captured again before Brienne and Pod saved her.  And people are shocked that she might have had some difficulty remembering a couple of lines of an oath?

Well, book Sansa would have courteously congratulated the dog handlers for the ferocity of their hounds :P but yes, you definitely have a point

25 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

If Pod can remember the lines right after almost being killed by Bolton men (awkward Pod who probably wouldn't know the words anyways), Sansa should have. I felt like everyone (Brienne, Pod, and especially Theon) came out of this scene looking good except for Sansa. She is my favorite character in the books but she is so weak in the show...

1 hour ago, Risto said:

Exactly... And to have Pod remind her, of all the people... God, almighty...

The editing and writing was abysmal. For a split of a second I caught myself thinking "She will warg the dog" and then I realized what I was watching.

And only accepting Brienne's offer after Theon (of all people) nodded to her. I, mean, can she even blink by herself at this point or does Theon and Pod have to take turns opening and closing her eyelids? 

I did crack up at Brienne's "I come to offer my services...again". Like, take a hint, you big stalker! 

9 minutes ago, Stargaryen said:

If Pod can remember the lines right after almost being killed by Bolton men (awkward Pod who probably wouldn't know the words anyways), Sansa should have. I felt like everyone (Brienne, Pod, and especially Theon) came out of this scene looking good except for Sansa. She is my favorite character in the books but she is so weak in the show...

While I too am disappointed and pretty annoyed that they didn't give Sansa more to do in that scene other than just hide and look scared, I didn't have a problem with her forgetting the vows. I thought it was a nice moment that spoke to the trauma of the events she has been through thus far, and I'm saying this as someone who doesn't like the show much anymore. 

1 minute ago, dogprivilege said:

While I too am disappointed and pretty annoyed that they didn't give Sansa more to do in that scene other than just hide and look scared, I didn't have a problem with her forgetting the vows. I thought it was a nice moment that spoke to the trauma of the events she has been through thus far, and I'm saying this as someone who doesn't like the show much anymore. 

I could totally get past that if they just gave her something. Let her hit a guy with a branch, or grab a dagger, or run in the other direction, or thank Brienne, or accept Brienne's service without Theon, or lead Theon away from Winterfell and encourage him to keep running and not to give up. Or just remember the one thing that is a well known aspect of her character. Cersei and the Hound often talked about her perfect words and manners. I just want her to have like one thing going for her. Sorry for the rant. I'm just kind of sad at this point haha. I guess this is what Stannis fans felt like for the past four years 

31 minutes ago, Stargaryen said:

I could totally get past that if they just gave her something. Let her hit a guy with a branch, or grab a dagger, or run in the other direction, or thank Brienne, or accept Brienne's service without Theon, or lead Theon away from Winterfell and encourage him to keep running and not to give up. Or just remember the one thing that is a well known aspect of her character. Cersei and the Hound often talked about her perfect words and manners. I just want her to have like one thing going for her. Sorry for the rant. I'm just kind of sad at this point haha. I guess this is what Stannis fans felt like for the past four years 

I'm pretty much in complete agreement. She's my favorite too, and she is way overdo for her moment, way moreso than any other character. And it's especially the case in the show after all they put her through last season. We literally just saw last episode she was prepared to die rather than let Ramsay touch her again and yet she is all of a sudden super passive this episode and afraid to cross a river because it's too cold? Someone needs to tell D&D that Sansa playing a more active role in getting away doesn't equate to Theon's role getting diminished.

Sansa's scenes were a highlight of this episode. Sophie Turner and Alfie Allen are brilliant. Sansa was right though: getting into that river = death. I figured Nymeria would save them from Ramsay's huntmen (to set up Jon/Ghost) but Brienne was a second choice. No complaints other than the hypothermia thing (which isn't a big deal). I just wonder what's going to happen next. Even in the books, going to the Wall isn't a good idea. Jon is out of commission and the Others are coming.

Sansa in the books feels somewhat safe. Sansa on the show... danger, danger everywhere. Can't wait for next week.

20 minutes ago, Arya_Stormborn said:

In real life, she would totally be dead from hypothermia. Legit. I can't suspend disbelief on this one. Also, what happened to the dogs during the fight scene? Nothing makes sense.

They survived hypothermia the same way they survived that jump, in good enough shape to run, I expect.

Sansa at least is well-nourished and has not been physically tortured; I'm not sure how Theon will avoid getting pneumonia.  I did enjoy Theon taking charge and protecting Sansa; but it's time she took more initiative, since she is a few years older than Book-Sansa.

Archived