[spoilers] What You Liked/The Positivity Thread

HexMachina

Davos was really the highlight for me. Hope to see more of Liam Cunningham, Mel scene was weird, creepy and disturbing...but nicely done. Glad we saw a bit of politics at the Wall and convo between Davos and Thorne was fine. Dany with Dothraki was good, as was Sansa and Theon. Also Ramsay one minute acting lovely and nicely to dead Myranda and then feed her to hounds. So Ramsay. Like others not a fan of 20 good men but this was good acting on his part.

I liked it. It felt short. Didn't anyone feel it was short?

Either way, there were plenty of things to like within it, it was certainly not the sort of episode you could watch on its own and go 'that was a great episode', more the sort you would watch on a binge and enjoy.

- Looked incredible visually. The sets and colours and the shooting angles and the lighting were a step up from anything I've seen on the show before. Even Dorne which looked a little flat last year was incredibly vivid, the shot of Doran getting stabbed was well framed and the colours just stood out amazingly.

- Briennes scene with Sansa was lovely, you could see how much it meant to her to have finally found Sansa and to Sansa for having sort of escaped by that point.

- Cercei talking about  her dead mothers body.

- Davos was the star, I like how he was starting to take charge and become assertive, now Stannis is gone hes starting to find a role that isn't just Lackey. Having Snow growling makes you wonder too.

- Mel really brought over that sense of loss, of having no idea who she is any more or what she was doing. Of course that end shot was brilliant too.

What I liked was the introduction of old women and I wondered what does it mean?  We have Mel shown as very old and we have Dany being taken to be a holy crone at Vaes Dothrak.  With Mel, I concluded she had/has old magic (the most powerful kind) and I have read the guesses about her being BR.  But I also wonder if she has access to the magic that is in the wall itself.  Also, can you glamour yourself and if not, then who glamoured Mel, or at least gave her the 'glamourous ruby' :-) [Rhaegar Ruby theory?]   If Dany becomes, at least temporarily, one of the Dothraki crones, then what could this mean to the story,

In short, is there some woman, with a key role in the past, who would be roaming the earth now?  

With all the Wall-related characters brought together and without Kitt Harrington I'm realising just how much I adore the cast from The Wall. His death has given the others a chance to shine and it's really working for me. I hope he stays dead at least until episode 4 so we get more personal time with a shellshocked Mel, a determined Davos reluctantly leading, a brave but devastated Edd and a mournful Ghost, as well as Tormund and Wun Wun. Really enjoying The Wall at the moment.

I also got hit in the feels when Brienne finally swears an oath to Sansa and Sansa swears to her (even though she's not sure of the words after so long). It was a short but positive moment.

With all the Wall-related characters brought together and without Kitt Harrington I'm realising just how much I adore the cast from The Wall. His death has given the others a chance to shine and it's really working for me. I hope he stays dead at least until episode 4 so we get more personal time with a shellshocked Mel, a determined Davos reluctantly leading, a brave but devastated Edd and a mournful Ghost, as well as Tormund and Wun Wun. Really enjoying The Wall at the moment.

I also got hit in the feels when Brienne finally swears an oath to Sansa and Sansa swears to her (even though she's not sure of the words after so long). It was a short but positive moment.

14 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I liked it. It felt short. Didn't anyone feel it was short?

Either way, there were plenty of things to like within it, it was certainly not the sort of episode you could watch on its own and go 'that was a great episode', more the sort you would watch on a binge and enjoy.

- Looked incredible visually. The sets and colours and the shooting angles and the lighting were a step up from anything I've seen on the show before. Even Dorne which looked a little flat last year was incredibly vivid, the shot of Doran getting stabbed was well framed and the colours just stood out amazingly.

- Briennes scene with Sansa was lovely, you could see how much it meant to her to have finally found Sansa and to Sansa for having sort of escaped by that point.

- Cercei talking about  her dead mothers body.

- Davos was the star, I like how he was starting to take charge and become assertive, now Stannis is gone hes starting to find a role that isn't just Lackey. Having Snow growling makes you wonder too.

- Mel really brought over that sense of loss, of having no idea who she is any more or what she was doing. Of course that end shot was brilliant too.

It felt short. It was more of a set up for other bigger events or at least I hope so. I asked in different thread. You think Sansa will end up at Castle Black? Brienne told her about Arya so she'll go to Riverlands most likely but will she drop off Sansa at Jon's place or not.

1 hour ago, White Harbors Wrath said:

I think the water looked very realistic when Jaime was sailing back into the harbor at KL.

And the rocks around the water. Man, they were so realistic that I just wanted to bang my head against them repeatedly.

Did we see the second Trykabob boat in that scene? (He was on a second ship, right?)  Cersei is gonna poop when she sees the SS arrive.

16 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

It felt short. It was more of a set up for other bigger events or at least I hope so. I asked in different thread. You think Sansa will end up at Castle Black? Brienne told her about Arya so she'll go to Riverlands most likely but will she drop off Sansa at Jon's place or not.

I think her ending up at winterfell suggests she will go north somehow. But then the question is why doesn't Brienne go with her. Possibly she meets LF and something changes

EDD HAS LINES!  EDD HAS LINES!

The Roose Is Loose and he's taking the wind out of Ramsay's sails [easily.  Once again].

Was that euthanization of the Dorne plot arc and admitting mistake/failure/defeat and a sign it's being phased out?  One can only hope.

So, yeah, Sansa reciting the same oath that Catelyn recited when accepting Brienne's service -- but needing prompting from Pod to get through it, because after all she's never had to do it before AND has just finished running for her life -- was cool.  Also, you can't really deliver that Game Of Thrones gut punch unless people feel good first, so it was nice and good to have a happy moment of watching Brienne kick the shit out of people, and reduce Ramsay to 16 Good Men.  And, yes, THEON (not Reek!) with the backstab crit was a welcome sight.

Whatever one thinks of the writing, the acting on this show is still pretty damn good and Sophie Turner & Alfie Allen are among my favorites (okay, most people on the show are but they're up there with my FAVORITE favorites).  So yeah, I'm going to enjoy that scene and watching the Frozen Four stumble north.

Davos smells Alliser's shit coming a mile a way.  A welcome sign after "I need to be an idiot for the sake of Plot" dominated the scene in Season 5 (and is still present here).

Oh, and did they spend some budget on Ghost CGI?  Yes they did!  <3 Ghost.  Too bad we're going to have to wait 6 or 7 episodes before they resolve that arc/they let him eat somebody.  Because I'm ready to watch Ghost have his munchies.

And the Melisandre reveal is something I expected.  CVH even hinted at it in an interview several years ago, and I've assumed GRRM is planning that same reveal eventually.  It was a nice confirmation.

"How are Fedora and Dario gonna find that ring?"  Well, there you go, paint a bulls-eye on it with horsetrack.  That's about the best way to make their being able to find the ring be as not-bullshit as possible.

I probably should roll my eyes at the "greatest thing in life" between Khal Kvetch and his snarky entourage, but whatever, I laughed a little, and that's all it was designed to do.  A little levity here and there is fine.

Episode is 45 minutes long. That's why it felt short. It's the shortest ever, IIRC.

I liked everything except Dorne. It's clear that they should have cut it as soon as they realized Aegon couldn't be on the show. Without him, it's pointless.

43 minutes ago, Ingelheim said:

Episode is 45 minutes long. That's why it felt short. It's the shortest ever, IIRC.

I liked everything except Dorne. It's clear that they should have cut it as soon as they realized Aegon couldn't be on the show. Without him, it's pointless.

It is the shortest. The second shortest episode is S05E04 at 50:18, while S06E01 is 49:55 (from HBO static to the ending of the credits). It is 46:25 from first shot to last shot (so minus static, intro and credits).

33 minutes ago, Lautrec said:

It is the shortest. The second shortest episode is S05E04 at 50:18, while S06E01 is 49:55 (from HBO static to the ending of the credits). It is 46:25 from first shot to last shot (so minus static, intro and credits).

I really don't get why would they make episodes this short. HBO set up the 1 hour standard. The Wire, The Sopranos, True Detective, Game of Thrones... always 1 full hour per episode.

Well, I do get it: schedule problems. But it's really sad. With 10 minutes more, you have time for 2-3 scenes that could have really helped this episode.

2 hours ago, Salad Days Saan said:

So, yeah, Sansa reciting the same oath that Catelyn recited when accepting Brienne's service -- but needing prompting from Pod to get through it, because after all she's never had to do it before AND has just finished running for her life -- was cool.

Yeah, I agree, the complaints about how she didn't remember her lines in this state are ridiculous.

Alfie Allen was awesome.

Oh, and they finally showed tits with other purpose than arousing 15-year olds!

8 minutes ago, Ingelheim said:

I really don't get why would they make episodes this short. HBO set up the 1 hour standard. The Wire, The Sopranos, True Detective, Game of Thrones... always 1 full hour per episode.

Well, I do get it: schedule problems. But it's really sad. With 10 minutes more, you have time for 2-3 scenes that could have rally helped this episode.

I think the super long "previously on" cut into the time. It felt like 5 minutes. But even still the whole thing, previously on to end of "next week on GoT" was 55:29. That's at least another 4 minutes of content you can jam in there.

Archived