Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WinterKing

[BOOK/SHOW SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

Recommended Posts

Family was not impressed, but Mel made them squirm. Oddly , they like the Dorne plot because...*shudder- "the boobs".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife is getting anxious about Jon -- he better get resurrected soon.

She liked the Davos scenes, that Ghost was back, and the line about Dolorous Edd.

Was confused about the khalasar scenes, she thinks it's Khal Drogo's old khalasar -- is hoping that Dany's dragon gets her out but thinks that will be lame if the dragon does that all the time. Which, I pointed out, is of course the good thing about having a dragon.

She can't imagine how Dorne will be run by "those little girls."  :D:D:D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Laughter.  Uncontrolled laughter.  (A few little one liners may have helped it on my end, or calling what would happen by typing it in and letting him read it after the scene ended).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pies are coming said:

uh... what's the point of this thread this season? I mean, besides "Is Arya going to remain blind"? we are all unsullied now

I think we know more than we think we do - there is still quite a bit of book material to cover. That and we have a deeper understanding of the material that the show is just short-handing. We've also had a lot of time to think about the book material and speculate, so I still think this is a relevant thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

I think we know more than we think we do - there is still quite a bit of book material to cover. That and we have a deeper understanding of the material that the show is just short-handing. We've also had a lot of time to think about the book material and speculate, so I still think this is a relevant thread.

Yes I agree with you.

My daughter asked if Mel is the witch - Maggie the Frog. Most show watchers I know dont even know who Bloodraven is, until I say the dude in the cave with Bran. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My unsullied husband actually predicted the demise of the Martells, whereas I didn't, mostly because their storyline is so much different in the books than on the shows. The only other thing I found surprising was Khal Moro's respectful treatment of Dany after learning who she was. Based on the show's history, I expected them to go a different direction, but was pleasantly surprised that they didn't.

Other than that, there wasn't anything about this episode that really caught either of us off-guard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grayce Hornwood said:

My unsullied husband actually predicted the demise of the Martells, whereas I didn't, mostly because their storyline is so much different in the books than on the shows. The only other thing I found surprising was Khal Moro's respectful treatment of Dany after learning who she was. Based on the show's history, I expected them to go a different direction, but was pleasantly surprised that they didn't.

Other than that, there wasn't anything about this episode that really caught either of us off-guard.

Actor portraying him said he follows tradition and their tradition, after learning who she is, is to take her to Vaes Dothrak and be part of Dosh Khalen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One was very shocked at Doran and Trystane's demise, one saw it coming (Trystane telling them which one he's going to attack the turning his back on the others? Come on...) but they really don't understand even who the Sand Snakes/Ellaria are, let alone their motives/plot significance.

Horrified by Mel's reveal (literally, hehe), they were very confused whilst I sat their chuckling. (To be honest it was less shocking than what I thought they were going to do - after Davos' "I've seen what she can do" and her starting to undress I thought they were going to ruin Davos like every other character and have him make some army of shadow babies to somehow wipe out the rest of the NW)

Recognised the ridiculousness that Myranda would die but when Theon and Sansa fall off the exact same wall they can still run away despite being locked up/mutilated/beaten every day. Lots of hate for "pathetic Sansa". Also, Ramsay is one creepy fucker.

Confused by where Dany was going, and they weren't expecting Maro to stand down so quickly. "They're all bloody lining up for her aren't they?! This is like some weird orgy" (I hinted at the tiny potential for Quentyn and Victarion/Aeron and she couldn't even comprehend Dany having even more suitors)

"They're just the best bromance ever aren't they?" re: Tyrion and Varys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Actor portraying him said he follows tradition and their tradition, after learning who she is, is to take her to Vaes Dothrak and be part of Dosh Khalen.

That's not quite what I meant. I knew pretty much from the first trailer that they would be taking Dany to the Dosh Khaleen. What I mean is that, from a show perspective, it was surprising to me that Moro immediately backed off when Dany told him she was Drogo's widow. We would expect this from the book characters because, as Moro pointed out, "it's forbidden to lay with a Khal's widow", but I did not expect this from the show based on their treatment of certain female characters in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they really like the episode, hated not knowing about jon, and they don't think dany is getting to vaes dothrak. 

Also they were like "every time Jorah looks at his arm he looks like a D#$%bag showing off his iwatch" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, VladimirDulud said:

laughter at the sand snakes 'greedy bitch' line; shock at the Mel reveal, and, a ' this season is going to be so much better than last!"

I cringed when that was said. They are just the worst actresses Ive seen in a long time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My non-reader of the books son named George, coincidentally, found the episode long, drawn out, and boring. He liked nothing.  But I do not think there was any nudity in the episode either.  Unfortunately, the sex is a draw for some viewers.  My son finds the plot too complicated to follow, and he despises when I try to explain anything.

His favorite is Ser Jorah, and he dislikes that his favorite has Grey Scale.  My son also despises the many deaths of characters with whom he has become invested in.  He has yet to get over the beheading of Ned Stark.  Now, he finds the deaths manipulative and a ploy to evocate emotional responses from the viewers.

You asked - so do not flame my honest revelation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kept getting asked questions by one of my friends while watching the episode. She's watched all five seasons but couldn't really remember much of anything (goes to show she didn't really get that invested into the show). She's annoyed with all the head killings, the cheesy dialogue, and was like WTF at the end with Melisandre. She also thinks Jon will stay dead (which he won't! ... We better not be jinxing this...), and that Arya is becoming Daredevil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2016 at 10:20 PM, princess_snow said:

I cringed when that was said. They are just the worst actresses Ive seen in a long time.  

yeah, they can't really pull off the accents...the other cast members get to keep their (british/irish) accents but for some reason the dornish characters have a vaguely made-up/"southern" accent that is not cohesive as conveyed by the performers at all...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27.04.2016 at 5:27 AM, evita mgfs said:

My non-reader of the books son named George, coincidentally, found the episode long, drawn out, and boring. He liked nothing.  But I do not think there was any nudity in the episode either.  Unfortunately, the sex is a draw for some viewers.  My son finds the plot too complicated to follow, and he despises when I try to explain anything.

His favorite is Ser Jorah, and he dislikes that his favorite has Grey Scale.  My son also despises the many deaths of characters with whom he has become invested in.  He has yet to get over the beheading of Ned Stark.  Now, he finds the deaths manipulative and a ploy to evocate emotional responses from the viewers.

You asked - so do not flame my honest revelation!

Hey, you can't fault a thirsty horse being interested in water. I don't know why people always make the assumption that sexposition=bad, therefore being drawn by sexposition=bad. It's only natural urges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother, who has not read the books but is an avid fan of the HBO series, popped off something that I thought was very insightful.

I was discussing with him the overall picture of the books / HBO series and told him that the entire book series is actually not titled "Game of Thrones" but rather "A Song of Fire and Ice".

This led us down the path of discussing the fire and ice aspect.

He mentioned that it is pretty obvious that Fire and Ice is talking about the Red God (Fire) and his followers against the Ice God ruling the White Walkers and their zombie minions. Not talking about the actual people or white walkers or dragons but rather about the big picture battle of the Ice God -vs- the Fire God.

I tried to convince him that it could be about the Mother of Dragons (fire) against Jon Snow (ice) but he is not buying any of it. He replied that if that was the main story the title should be "A Song of Dragons and Wolves", which doesn't sound nearly as earth shattering and doesn't explain story lines not directly involved with those two people.

The more we discussed it and went over the various story lines and character development story lines, the more I tend to agree with him.  If you look at it as a story of a huge war and see all of the little Game of Thrones stories as simply being pieces of the Red God puzzle and how the Red God is positioning all of his chess pieces in preparation for a big battle it all makes more sense. We see almost nothing of the thousand year work where the Ice God gets his minions in place for a big battle. 99% is shown from the perspective of Fire rather than Ice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×