Speculation :TV show vs. what the books will be

Howdyphillip

22 hours ago, LadySoftheart said:

Dany has a huge dragon standing right next to her at the end of Dance (unlike the show where Drogon seems to have gone AWOL.) There is absolutely no reason for her to do anything at all that the Dothraki khalasar wants her to do - she can get on Drogon and fly away, burn all of them to pieces, ask for their worship, whatever. But I guarantee they won't be taking her anywhere against her will.

I think Dany will go to Vaes Dothrak also in the books. Maybe she won't be forced to, and she will get there as the head of a khalasar (with a little help of Drogon). I think that both Show-Dany and Book-Dany will go to Vaes Dothrak and thanks to Drogon she will claim the leadership of all the Khalasars becoming the prophetised khal of khals. She will ammass a huge dothraki army that she will use with the unsullied (dothraki = cavalry, unsullied = infantry) to invade Westeros.

On 25/04/2016 at 6:42 AM, Drasanil said:

Given how... "creative" the show is being.... I'm pretty sure that Aegon will end up marrying Sansa in the end as the fairy tale prince she always desired/was brought up to expect.  Daenarys will be slain by Barristan for betraying/opposing the One True King, whilst Varys has Tyrion shipped off to Pentos as a court jester/slave and Jaime takes his proper place as the redeemed Lord Commander of King's Guard after saving King's Landing from Cersei.

Heck if I were GRRM I'd make it [eventually] happen even if I didn't originally plan it this way, at this point who cares? You already got paid and the D&D deserve it for the sheer... I hesitate to even call it butchery for fear of being generous... they made of the last two couple of seasons.

The show are being so creative, there's a good chance Sansa will Marry Daenarys. And the final episode will be an hour long titillating ratings grabbing lesbian love off... BEWBS

19 hours ago, The Arthur Smith said:

Ludicrous of me to say this, but I do believe Doran will die in Winds.

Remember, S6 plots are loosely based on Winds and some of the remaining ones in Feast, but mostly from Winds. So we honestly don't know how the Dorne plot will play out in the book, specifically with Doran and Darkstar.

I don't see Doran have any reason to live aside from dealing with Darkstar, let alone his son, Quantyn, died recently. Which since this season just killed off Doran and Areo, this brings a new speculation that they will get kill by Darkstar. Make sense if you think about cause you that would leave Arianne to be the head of Dorne and the Martell house with Aegon having full alliance with the Martells, possibly Darkstar siding with him.

Sorry, to go off topic but

I've kinda forgotten, but Darkstar wasn't carrying Dawn was he, it wasn't implied he's the new(evil) Sword of the Morning was it?

I only ask because in the books it sounds like you'd have to be a real bad ass to kill Areo H... unlike the show where he dies like a lil bitch

30 minutes ago, HalfJobRob said:

I've kinda forgotten, but Darkstar wasn't carrying Dawn was he, it wasn't implied he's the new(evil) Sword of the Morning was it?

I only ask because in the books it sounds like you'd have to be a real bad ass to kill Areo H... unlike the show where he dies like a lil bitch

But...but...poison!! 

We didn't even get to see him take off an extra's head with that bedazzled axe!!! Worst waste of potential beheading evaR!!

6 hours ago, HalfJobRob said:

Darkstar does not have Dawn, it is still at Starfall.

I thought that D&D or who ever is in charge of casting did a terrible job with most of the Dornish Characters. Areo is a bad ass bearded priest from Norvos, he dies by getting stabbed in the back and clean shaven.

The show has said they want to be very diverse in their casting. Yet when they cast the most diverse group of characters from the books, The Sand Snakes, they all look alike. Tyene is blonde hair blue eyes in the book. Just poor casting and writing for that portion of the show.

19 hours ago, Targaryen loyalist said:

I think Dany will go to Vaes Dothrak also in the books. Maybe she won't be forced to, and she will get there as the head of a khalasar (with a little help of Drogon). I think that both Show-Dany and Book-Dany will go to Vaes Dothrak and thanks to Drogon she will claim the leadership of all the Khalasars becoming the prophetised khal of khals. She will ammass a huge dothraki army that she will use with the unsullied (dothraki = cavalry, unsullied = infantry) to invade Westeros.

And in the show, they will drag her to Vaes Dothrak, then Drogon will show up, burn stuff up, then Dany will tell them "See what happens when you piss me off? Now serve me or my kid has a BBQ party"

And she finally gets her Khalasar

19 hours ago, matsuki said:

But...but...poison!! 

We didn't even get to see him take off an extra's head with that bedazzled axe!!! Worst waste of potential beheading evaR!!

Worst waste of a prop, to be honest. That gilded axe was gangsta as fuck. 

13 hours ago, Jon leaves the Watch said:

Darkstar does not have Dawn, it is still at Starfall.

I thought that D&D or who ever is in charge of casting did a terrible job with most of the Dornish Characters. Areo is a bad ass bearded priest from Norvos, he dies by getting stabbed in the back and clean shaven.

The show has said they want to be very diverse in their casting. Yet when they cast the most diverse group of characters from the books, The Sand Snakes, they all look alike. Tyene is blonde hair blue eyes in the book. Just poor casting and writing for that portion of the show.

I assume they meant diverse as in racially diverse, so casting a blonde blue eyed actress wouldn't have served that goal. 

20 hours ago, HalfJobRob said:

No but it's be interesting if Darkstar takes Dawn for himself as the Sword of the Night. Maybe he'll rename Dawn to Dusk.

He might think he needs a boost to beat Balon Swann, Obara and Areo Hotah who are all badasses.

On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 4:54 AM, Targaryen loyalist said:

On the show nobody in the khalasar knows or remember Dany. On ADWD's end Dany meets with Khal Jhaqo and  fifty riders. I guess is the same Jhaqo that in TGOT was one of the leaders of Drogo's khalasar. At the Drogo's death he proclammed himself a Khal and take 20000 riders, creating his own khalasar and leaving Dany.

10 hours ago, Miley the Monstrous said:

Worst waste of a prop, to be honest. That gilded axe was gangsta as fuck. 

I assume they meant diverse as in racially diverse, so casting a blonde blue eyed actress wouldn't have served that goal. 

I was talking about the racial diversity of the Sand Snakes

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Sand_Snakes

The link provides all the needed information about the Sand Snakes. Which includes their basic descriptions.

2 hours ago, Jon leaves the Watch said:

I was talking about the racial diversity of the Sand Snakes

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Sand_Snakes

The link provides all the needed information about the Sand Snakes. Which includes their basic descriptions.

I'm aware, but in all honesty it would've been stupid to cast a blonde white girl for Tyene* - even if that's her description in the books - and then say they're all for diversity. Like, Dorne presented an opportunity to finally cast major characters with actors of color, so screw the books, I would've cast all of the SS with poc to add some much needed diversity to the show. 

* I don't know why the "innocent" look has to be a blue eyed blonde anyway. Talk about stereotypes. 

On 4/25/2016 at 10:33 PM, Howdyphillip said:

I found myself quite enjoying the show tonight, even if it was with a slight pang in my heart from not being able read the story first. Of course,the richness of the story will be truncated, but all in all, I personally think that the show is doing a good job of telling a story. With that said, I wanted to start this thread to discuss ways in which we believe that the show will prove itself different from the books, and ways that will probably be similar.

Obvious differences

1.Sansa/Theon/Brienne

Obviously these characters are no where near each other in the narrative of the books, but as a TV show, I quite like linking the characters together. I was quite exited to see Brienne to ride in to the rescue tonight, and look forward to what will come next.

2. Tyrion/Varys 

There roles are quite different in the books, but I suspect that these two will have a similar story line as Barristan the Bold has in the books minus some of the details about the Harpies.

3. Martels

I have to believe that this will be a huge deviation. I just don't see Doran being killed off.

4. Daenerys

I just don't see sending her to a retirement home for widowed Khal's wives being something that could take place. It seems thatis a departure from what we know about Dothraki culture.

Similarities 

1. John Snow

He is indeed dead. I'm not too sure that the theory that he has warged into Ghost is out of the realm of possibilities either.

2. Melisandre

I really like the necklace of glamour being removed tonight. This seems like something that is to be expected in the books.

Please feel free to leave any other speculation here as well.

Similarities:

For Martells I suspect end result will be same because Doran plan already failed, I doubt Arianne and Griff will survive next book, he either dies of grief or killed somehow. The only end result worth mentioning is ending up with a Sand Snake in Kings Landing ready to do some mischief.

I think Brianne will end up going to Riverlands based on trailers but not sure if its similar.

Jaime too - Riverlands bound.

On 4/25/2016 at 5:37 AM, LadySoftheart said:

Dany has a huge dragon standing right next to her at the end of Dance (unlike the show where Drogon seems to have gone AWOL.) There is absolutely no reason for her to do anything at all that the Dothraki khalasar wants her to do - she can get on Drogon and fly away, burn all of them to pieces, ask for their worship, whatever. But I guarantee they won't be taking her anywhere against her will.

I don't remember exact wording in the book, but didn't Dany wander off from Drogon both in the books and in the show, and in both he wanted to sleep?  While in the books its not specified that he is completely out of sight like the show, but neither it is obvious that he is in line of sight of Dothraki? 

I think Dany will end up going to  Dosh Kaleen and then Drogon will catch up (just like in the show) and she will take control of Dothraki.

On 4/25/2016 at 7:41 AM, kissdbyfire said:

:agree:

It feels like the show would rather have Dany go through some... erhm... hardships before Drogon/Jorah/Jorah come to the rescue. Maybe as a way to remind viewers that the Dothraki are ruthless? Although I'm not sure it was necessary, tbh. 

While Drogon will show up and allow Dany to take control of Dothraki, I suspect that Jorah/Daario will either fail spectacularly to rescue her OR arrive after she becomes head of Khalesar.

7 minutes ago, Masha said:

I don't remember exact wording in the book, but didn't Dany wander off from Drogon both in the books and in the show, and in both he wanted to sleep?  While in the books its not specified that he is completely out of sight like the show, but neither it is obvious that he is in line of sight of Dothraki? 

I just referenced to make sure, but she is eating a horse carcass with Drogon, and when she hears the approaching riders, she stands next to him. Drogon is most certainly in the picture when she meets Khal Jhaqo, and his 50 riders. 

Yes, it's a beautiful chapter:

A Dance with Dragons - Daenerys X 

He did not see her, though. The grass concealed her, and he was looking elsewhere. Dany followed his eyes, and there the shadow flew, with wings spread wide. The dragon was a mile off, and yet the scout stood frozen until his stallion began to whicker in fear. Then he woke as if from a dream, wheeled his mount about, and raced off through the tall grass at a gallop.

Dany watched him go. When the sound of his hooves had faded away to silence, she began to shout. She called until her voice was hoarse … and Drogon came, snorting plumes of smoke. The grass bowed down before him. Dany leapt onto his back. She stank of blood and sweat and fear, but none of that mattered. "To go forward I must go back," she said. Her bare legs tightened around the dragon's neck. She kicked him, and Drogon threw himself into the sky. Her whip was gone, so she used her hands and feet and turned him north by east, the way the scout had gone. Drogon went willingly enough; perhaps he smelled the rider's fear. 

In a dozen heartbeats they were past the Dothraki, as he galloped far below. To the right and left, Dany glimpsed places where the grass was burned and ashen. Drogon has come this way before, she realized. Like a chain of grey islands, the marks of his hunting dotted the green grass sea.

2 hours ago, Miley the Monstrous said:

* I don't know why the "innocent" look has to be a blue eyed blonde anyway. Talk about stereotypes. 

There is nothing that says that because she is blonde, blue eyed and pale skin is why she is "innocent". I just think that D&D have made a complete shit show of Dorne and most of the characters in the Dornish storyline. Plus, how they wrote Tyene's character was a mix of like 2-3 different character's personality. They essentially gave her Arianne personality with the stereotypical little sister role. Also, she doesn't use daggers, that is Nymeria. Tyene's weapon of choice is poisons.

On 4/25/2016 at 8:50 AM, Howdyphillip said:

Right after posting this last night, I looked up Vaes Dothrak and then remembered that this indeed is a thing in the books. I was almost sure that this was a departure at least culturally, but am pleased to see that I was wrong.  

The absence of Drogon does seem to make things a bit different, but without the internal monologue to describe what Daenerys is thinking, this gets her where she needs to be. 

I feel confident that Dany will go back Vaes Dothrak and when I read her last chapter in Dance I felt like she was actually seeking out the Dothraki at the end. The only curveball is how Drogon being with her affects the situation.

On 4/25/2016 at 8:53 AM, The Arthur Smith said:

Ludicrous of me to say this, but I do believe Doran will die in Winds.

Remember, S6 plots are loosely based on Winds and some of the remaining ones in Feast, but mostly from Winds. So we honestly don't know how the Dorne plot will play out in the book, specifically with Doran and Darkstar.

I don't see Doran have any reason to live aside from dealing with Darkstar, let alone his son, Quantyn, died recently. Which since this season just killed off Doran and Areo, this brings a new speculation that they will get kill by Darkstar. Make sense if you think about cause you that would leave Arianne to be the head of Dorne and the Martell house with Aegon having full alliance with the Martells, possibly Darkstar siding with him.

It wouldn't surprise me if Doran dies, but not the way he does in the show. Yeah the Sandsnakes are unreasonable  but I don't think they would kill their own blood. And Hotah definitely wouldn't fall for that. He would have sniffed that out and killed all of them. The whole Dorne thing in the show annoyed me and I would have rather they just left it out than do what they did.

Archived