Who got shafted worse? Doran Martell or Stannis Baratheon

13 minutes ago, Jehane said:

Doran. I didn't like what they did to Stannis but at least I liked Stannis right up until he sacrificed his daughter. With Doran, I was always waiting that he'd turn into the ruler I knew from the books. They gave him nothing to do and killed him off. I'm angry beyond words.

But at least Doran was pathetic from the get go, Stannis was introduced as a character who was neither loved nor loathed, he then slowly ascended in stature in the show from the Battle of Blackwater up till when he arrived at the wall, his then march to Winterfell against an unequivocally evil Ramsay gave him honour and hero status, only for his character to then to be completely butchered by killing his daughter, something he would clearly not do in the books (unless you believe the 'Stannis wrote the pink letter to bring Shireen to Winterfell so he can burn her' crackpot theory)

1 minute ago, Ser Dalton Vaas said:

But at least Doran was pathetic from the get go, Stannis was introduced as a character who was either neither loves nor loathes, he then slowly ascended in stature in the show from the Battle of Blackwater up till when he arrived at the wall, his then march to Winterfell against an unequivocally evil Ramsay gave him honour and hero status, only for his character to then to be completely butchered by killing his daughter, something he would clearly not do in the books (unless you believe the 'Stannis wrote the pink letter to bring Shireen to the wall' crackpot theory)

Yep. I was so disappointed when Doran showed up in S5 and turned out to be... well, I guess pathetic is a good word for Show-Doran. Still, I liked him because I've always liked Doran. Hell, I love House Martell. And now they're gone *meh*

Agree on Stannis. At least he was allowed to develop over a couple of seasons. I hated what they did to him in S5 because Book-Stannis would NEVER sacrifice his daughter or even bring her to the wall. The pink letter... I still think that's a forgery, probably written by Ramsay. We'll find out when Winds of Winter Comes out.

20 hours ago, DarkerStar said:

How do we know that the very reason that Viserys and Daenerys lived isn't Doran's doing. If Varys told Robert that Doran Martell is hiding the remaining Targs, Doran is a traitor and Dorne burns.

Really, I don't recall any chapters of Dany mentioning how anyone was there to protect her or her brother while they wondered Essos for nearly 14 years. Doran didn't have to shelter them in Dorne, but providing no assistance to the Targs for nearly 14 years, in their hour of need and then being shocked that one wound up dead, is just stupid. I'm sorry but Doran's reveal that he was planning to marry his daughter to Viserys either A- makes Doran seem like a fool, or B- is a total retcon on what happened in the story.

In the books Doran looked weak and passive but the major swerve was that he was pulling all of the strings behind the scenes and planning a major power play for Dorne. He was playing the Game of Thrones with more of a long game than any of the other masterminds in the kingdom.

I know show Stannis wasn't very likeable but generally I thought he was the same character in the books and the show.  I know some people feel strongly that he was a ruined character, but I just don't see it to the same degree as Doran.

hard to say. Stannis had a lot of stuff happen off camera while doran had the only cool moment in any of dorne related thing in the books or the show stolen away. 

(also yeah i think they are totally giving doran's fire and blood speech to ellaria)

I was sure neither was going to survive the books. 

5 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

So just to keep a tally so far we have 20 votes for Doran and 12 votes for Stannis.

You can add my vote for Doran. Not even a close thing really, Doran was a shadow of his book version but Stannis pretty much got all the limelight right up to his ignominious defeat and death.

On 4/27/2016 at 10:24 AM, ErasmusF said:

I totally agree with your sentiment but not your conclusion. Doran got it worse in the show. He was the embodiment of a GoT player. Physically powerless, but uses the long game to exact his revenge. He was Littlefinger if Littlefinger had any actual power. I think he was killed off in the show because D&D knew they had butchered the storyline badly without any link to Dany. 

Doran.  I have to agree with the sentiment above.  The show totally ruined Dorne and throughout the episode I tried to think of another example where a tv show simply wiped out a mistake.  Stannis remains in my memory as a powerful character who had agency and purpose.  He was driven and flawed and complex.  Doran was nothing. Dorne (so far) was nothing. So I vote for Doran.

I think Doran and Stannis got off easy. There are other characters that are treated way worse.

Show Sansa reached season 6, and has less control over her life than she had in season 1. She can’t even decide to accept Brienne without getting Theon’s approval, and she manages to fluff even a simple oath, then has to parrot the words provided by Pod.

Loras…I don’t even know where to start with his show vs book characterisation.

Jaime is acting like the one from season 1.

SS and Ellaria are from an evil alternate dimension.

Cersei doesn’t even exists in the show,since Lena seems to be playing herself.

Against all odds, D&D have managed to make Tyrion boring. A feat in itself.

Not only that, but they decided to forget Varys’ plotline and just make him Tyrion’s lackey/sidekick,  because they are awesome together. Not so much lately.

Barristan got shafted as well, and the new dothraki…

Last season we saw that even guys that never had a penis and can’t feel anything visit the brothels, but a horde of dothraki can hold off on raping anyone until the khal has his pick from the crowd? And since when do khals skip any major battle their khalasar is in?  Moro should cut his braid for being an efing coward and a lazy ass.

Asha can’t even have her own damn name, Victarion, CH, LS, Faegon and all the other poor character that share their fate aren’t even mentioned and their plot is shared between the other cast, making those special people even more different than the books.

Spoiler

And if Ramsay’s gift from episode 3 is Rickon, that means that big redit leak done by an extra that filmed the BastardBowl are true and Jon will be fluffed so hard you’ll thank the old gods and the new that Stannis and Doran had such a nice characterisation compared with show Jon. That massacre will be painful to watch.

Stannis got shafted pretty badly, but his death was far from the worst D&D did to the character.  Atleast his death was somewhat in character of being duty-bound.  They'd already ruined the character earlier, changing his motives for going to the wall, burning people for being infidels instead of treasonous traitors making back door dealings with the Lannisters.  So yeh, atleast in death Stannis was atleast somewhat resembling the mannis.  Will miss Stephen Dillaine dearly. 

Doran... well he never even got to be Doran.  Atleast stannis had a few moments where he was in character, he gritted the shit out of his teeth on the blackwater.  Doran got it worse. 

Archived