6x01: D & D cleaning up after themselves

Mr Smith

After watching the season premiere for a second time, and giving it some serious thought, it really seems to me like they've used the first episode to scrub out a lot of the problems they gave themselves last season. Dorne is the obvious example standing out like a red thumb, but other back-peddling such as Sansa finally taking Brienne into her service and the ships being burnt in Mereen are others. Personally, I believe their claims about not having changed a single word of season 6 based on season 5 criticism is utter rubbish, and in actual fact they sat down and had a serious discussion about decisions made in previous episodes.

Personally, I'm OK with this kind of pruning and rehashing (even if it does mar the flow of an episode or two) as long as it gets the story back on track, and focusing on the areas that are most important. It's like pulling teeth: you have to endure a bit of pain, but it's much better than the long term pain that would come from leaving them in.

Anyone else get a similar impression, or am I being naively optimistic?

Dorne wasn't cleaning up after themselves. It was like getting rid of all the furniture in your living room, leaving only the glaring dog shit in the middle of the room, and then heaping even more shit on top of that. 

Dorne isn't relevant to the story anymore without the diplomacy of Doran and Trystane being dead means that there is no connection to the rest of the KL story either. I definitely think we won't be seeing anymore of Dorne because there really isn't that much to show. But Dorne was a mess that can't really be repaired. 

2 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Dorne wasn't cleaning up after themselves. It was like getting rid of all the furniture in your living room, leaving only the glaring dog shit in the middle of the room, and then heaping even more shit on top of that. 

So true. I was laughing my balls off when Ellaria killed Doran though so if D&D are going for more of a comedic approach I say good job.

Dorne was once again a low point in an otherwise very good episode, however it was not quite as bad as some of the rubbish Dorne stuff from last year.  I also agree that the wrong characters died but I suspect it's with a view to the longer game and perhaps the Sandsnakes killing Tommen which I think is coming this season and also in Winds but perhaps it's Aegon who does this in the books.

Nah, I don't really think so. As soon as they killed Myrcella, I knew this kind of shit was going to happen. Maybe killing Doran this early is something new, but Doran was going to get killed this season anyways, I'm confident on that.

Without the whole Aegon-Arianne thing, D&D needed Dorne to revolt against the Lannisters. They chose this way. It's plainly wrong if you ask me. Dorne should have been cut out. It's even clearer now.

Along with Jaime after season 3, it's my biggest complaint with D&D.

50 minutes ago, RUSSELL BELL said:

Dorne isn't relevant to the story anymore without the diplomacy of Doran and Trystane being dead means that there is no connection to the rest of the KL story either. I definitely think we won't be seeing anymore of Dorne because there really isn't that much to show. But Dorne was a mess that can't really be repaired. 

Pretty much. After sleeping on it, it dawned on me that the OP has a point. They fucking nuked Dorne. They nuked it so hard, because they fucked it up so bad, they cant repair it. The only way to repair that plot is to bring the Griffs into play, and without Arianne, that would have a very difficult time working. They seem to have no intention of including the Aegon/Faegon plot into the show. Im not sure they are going to even bother building tension between Dorne and Dany. 

Theres nothing they can do. They wrote themselves into such a shit corner, they had to literally nuke it. I wouldnt be surprised if the Sand Snakes and Ellaria end up showing up a little later on, only to get killed.

The OP is right though. This is exactly what D&D are doing, and what they've done pretty much every opener. They seem to have an inability to plan more than one season in advance, so it's all retcon time, give characters new personalities and guiding motivations, etc. etc.

Dany's fleet went up in smoke, resolving that issue with a single stroke! Why the hell was Daario given that throwaway line about the navy last year? ¯\_(シ)_/¯ And how fun for Mel and Davos that they've both forgotten about Stannis (and Davos doesn't care about Mel burning Shireen?)! 

Of course, D&D leave giant stains on the carpet everywhere they go, but as long as they draw our eyes to the next shiny shiny, I'm sure we won't notice.

The story had to get pruned.  It just had too.  Think how much jumping around we did last night.  4 mins per region? some a bit less, some a bit more?  You can't jump to over 10 places in a one hour show without it feeling disjointed.

we saw

the wall twice

dorne

KL

Bravos

Mareen

A kalisar

winterfell

somewhere north of winterfell but south of the wall

a ship in blackwater bay

2 hours ago, Punting on the Honeywine said:

Have D&D even responded to all the Dorne criticism?

Apparently they no longer read any online criticism but they must know its shit surely. The other bald writer guy claims to read feedback from fans. 

So Dorne is going to march against the full force of the Tyrell and Lannister Armies?  Genius!  And with LF controlling the Vale, he's going to be hard pressed not to answer the summons to bring their forces as well.  If their goal is to have the North fighting each other and the Southern Armies involved in their own conflict, to just have Dany arrive with 3 dragons and 50k Dothraki, I think they could have done a hell of a lot better job building the setting.

4 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I agree.

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

How does getting rid of the best actor in the Dorne loop and keeping the sand snakes who can't act and remain cartoonishly costumed cleaning up after themselves?

The Sand Snakes are the worst actresses of all time. Makes me cringe every time they speak. 

51 minutes ago, WalkinDude said:

So Dorne is going to march against the full force of the Tyrell and Lannister Armies?  Genius!  And with LF controlling the Vale, he's going to be hard pressed not to answer the summons to bring their forces as well.  If their goal is to have the North fighting each other and the Southern Armies involved in their own conflict, to just have Dany arrive with 3 dragons and 50k Dothraki, I think they could have done a hell of a lot better job building the setting.

I think Dorne is Done and Done! We will not see Sand Snakes nor Ellaria again. We will get hearsays from other characters that Doran was assassinated and Dorne is rebellion or perhaps fighting between other noble houses to inherit. Maaybe Sand Snakes might feature in Kings Landing for Tommen's assassination but I doubt it.

Its one way to cut off a storyline you messed up.

I do agree, Dorne especially felt like major clean up. I whatever D&D say about ignoring fans, they did listen. Just that Dothraki scenes with Dany, they were making fun of themselves. I bet this whole season would be females getting power and either messing up or actually doing something. Its their answer to criticism of last season.

I don't see this at all, I think the OP is clutching at book "fanboy" straws.

I think they're just being efficient. 

- In the books, they are building to Dorne marching onto King's Landing with fake Aegon. They're just being efficient in the show. 

- You can't burn the ships in season 5, it gives away the climax too much. Dany needs to feel safe to be in that arena, and she wouldn't have been if the ships had been burnt.

- Sansa joining with Brienne now is fine. Why was that a mistake in season 5? 

I think you're reading way to much into this... It's TV, it's not a book, they have to simplify and moves things around. 

Archived