So where in the heck was Trystane?

The Truth

Probably has been asked but couldnt find it. Wasn't he on the boat with Jaime and Myrcella? He was going to kings landing with them. If anything I would have thought Jaime would have killed him for revenge. I am confused as to where he was where Obara and her sister were. If he was not on a ship would have figured there would have been a guard. But not important because he was on the ship or at least was supposed to be. Is this just a plot flaw/mistake

Yes, he was on the boat and I presume he would be a prisoner, but a friendly one (or whatever that term is!). So holding him on the boat made sense. It was obvious he loved Myrcella, and therefore not to blame, so that is why Jaime didn't kill him.

So not a plot hole. Although a bit confusing how the Sandsnakes just appeared. It wasn't clear how they got there I think. Maybe followed in another boat, then climbed aboard/stowed away. If there was a token guard they could have killed them.

It was a Dornish ship.  A Dornish crew.  Jamie/Bron were passengers.  I doubt he was prisoner.  We can assume a crow was sent from KL to Dorne to inform them of the murder.  Tristane would have been foolish to leave the ship and go into KL with Jamie for he would have surely become a prisoner.

25 minutes ago, SevasTra82 said:

I still want to know how the heck the Sand Snakes got onto the boat and to KL that quickly....

It's a big assumption what "quickly" means.  Could 2 sand snakes left Dorne the next day or later the same day?  Yes.  Do all ships travel at the same speed? No.  Do we know long it takes a crow to fly from KL to Dorne? No.  There are plenty of ways the timeline could work and only a few where it doesn't.

6 minutes ago, ssls6 said:

It's a big assumption what "quickly" means.  Could 2 sand snakes left Dorne the next day or later the same day?  Yes.  Do all ships travel at the same speed? No.  Do we know long it takes a crow to fly from KL to Dorne? No.  There are plenty of ways the timeline could work and only a few where it doesn't.

Exactly, not all boats travel the same speed, nor do we know what happened in between seeing them on the docks and when they killed Trystane. There is no reason they couldn't have been following up behind or have stowed away somewhere on the journey.

It seems the boat was docked off of KL for a while anyway, and Trystane was just hanging around. Enough time to catch up if necessary.

It seems the boat was docked off of KL for a while anyway, and Trystane was just hanging around

More than just hanging around, he is seen painting those eyes Tywin and Joffrey's corpses had on their funerals. He is mourning and maybe we can deduce the funeral has not happened yet and he was awaiting that on the boat and then the sand snakes caught up with him.

Also, Myrcella's funeral would involve the Great Sept Of Baelor, we don't know how the situation between royalty and the High Sparrow is at this stage.

Show it then, don't make us come up with explanations for it.  This is one of the longest running and prevalent non-adaptational criticisms of the show.  It is amazing how much we are required to invent off screen for major events.  

A 5 second shot of the Sand Snakes rowing from one ship to Trystane's gets rid of this.  As it is, they're teleporting time witches.

3 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Show it then, don't make us come up with explanations for it.  This is one of the longest running and prevalent non-adaptational criticisms of the show.  It is amazing how much we are required to invent off screen for major events.  

A 5 second shot of the Sand Snakes rowing from one ship to Trystane's gets rid of this.  As it is, they're teleporting time witches.

yeah this is the biggest issue last night. they could have also had a line from the snakes and trystane about "how did you get here?" and etc and they just choose not to do it. 

2 minutes ago, 239JMFL34109 said:

yeah this is the biggest issue last night. they could have also had a line from the snakes and trystane about "how did you get here?" and etc and they just choose not to do it. 

That's telling, not showing, but that's better than just sweeping it under the rug like it doesn't exist.  

They Earned it Off-Screen: Remember when Reek became Theon off-screen and and the Boltons acquired a massive army off-screen and Dany got married off-screen and Jorah/Tyrion/Missandei/Daario escaped the Sons of the Harpies off-screen and Brienne infiltrated and somehow survived a battle off-screen and Arya learned how to apply faces off-screen, and how all this was needed to establish just one fucking episode?

I'm not kidding when they have a longstanding problem with this. 

1 minute ago, JonSnow4President said:

That's telling, not showing, but that's better than just sweeping it under the rug like it doesn't exist.  

I'm not kidding when they have a longstanding problem with this. 

i agree but telling is easier which points to how little they put into that. 

this is a thing that happens in tv a lot i will say. 

Even if we say they took another boat, why did they bother?  Why not kill Doran and Tristan and Jaime and Myrcella before they even left Dorne?  What changed between the time Jaime and company was allowed to leave safely and the guards being completely fine with the Sand Snakes murdering their prince in front of them?  Why did the guards who hate their prince so much even stop the Sand Snakes from killing Jaime and Myrcella and imprison them in the first place? 

Tristan went to King's Landing with Jaime, but didn't come to shore with him for some unknown reason?  The sand snakes declared they were going to kill Tristan ahead of time as if they wanted to have some sort of duel, but then stabbed him in the back. Couldn't they just walk up to him and kill him without him even suspecting them as a threat?  Even when they were threatening him he made it clear he didn't want to fight them.

Why did the Sand Snakes wait until Doran found out about Myrcella to kill him?  Just waiting for dramatic effect?

Not in most of the shows I watch, although I don't watch a ton of TV.  Now, they often invent a lot of scientific bullshit (like NCIS/CSI) to force the plot there, or have people develop way faster than they should through self experimentation (Rey in Star Wars for example), or rely on other techniques that feel forced, but by and large the off-screen happenings are inconsequential and less numerous. 

I just assumed that Trystane was on his way to KL after hearing that Myrcella was dead -- the implication is that he knows she's dead because he is hand-painting those funeral stone thingys.

Of course that would be speculation because we don't know that Dorne was informed of her death, but it's the only thing that makes sense, given that the Sand Snakes were on the same boat as he.

How many times will the show get away with this before people start realizing this crap ? its just DUMB. How did Brienne know where to find Sansa ? Ya she probably heard them, but that is a big forest. Atleast have a scene or even a line that explains what she is doing there. 

Don't even try to explain the SS and Trystane crap. How did the sand snakes get on the ship? Do we even know if Trystane is in Blackwater Bay ? Why is Trystane left on the ship? It makes no sense. Give us something to explain what is happening. The show used to give just throw away lines. Now it doesn't even try. 

How could Jorah and Dario possibly find that ring ? Dont give me crap about stomped grass and a patch in the middle. Ya i saw it. Your telling me that when those THOUSANDS of Dothraki left the scene, none of them rode over that circle??? Nooo they purposely avoided it because PLOT CONVENIENCE ! Besides Jorah doesn't even find it in the nice little prepared circle. He takes a few steps and finds it in the trampled grass. 

Why do we the audience have to come up with all these fancy explanations to figure out how these events have transpired. Its like watching Shawshank Redemption and all of a sudden the guy just escapes and credits roll. Um, NO.. we want to know HOW he escapes, that is part of the story if not the most satisfying part. If the sand snakes sneak onto a guarded boat to assassinate someone. That is pretty cool. Show it. Maybe with a line about how they took another boat right after Jamie and Trystane left. And then maybe your audience will actually start to think they are badass and cool and not fucking jokes. I want this show to be good, but I cant see how anyone can see these things and not say "this was sloppily and lazily done".

End rant. 

2 minutes ago, hedgeknight001 said:

I just assumed that Trystane was on his way to KL after hearing that Myrcella was dead -- the implication is that he knows she's dead because he is hand-painting those funeral stone thingys.

Of course that would be speculation because we don't know that Dorne was informed of her death, but it's the only thing that makes sense, given that the Sand Snakes were on the same boat as he.

I though he was on the same boat as Jaime, since Doran told him to get Oberyn's seat on the Small council.

Archived