Did people miss a major death [Spoiler] ?

hallam

On April 27, 2016 at 5:10 PM, princess_snow said:

or maybe she is just an extremely old witch from Asshai ?

This.  

As for the "smoke and salt" prophecy, I think it was already fulfilled once when Dany was magically not BBQed and her dragons hatched. In the funeral pyre where both her Khal and the red witch were cremated.

So if is to be fulfilled a second time, may be Jon's AA shift will start when red witch Mel+1 other burn in his pyre. So I certainly hope Mel will stick around and agree to be the life of that party!

I agree with the views that Mel has not just curled up in her bed to die.  She feels defeated, afraid that she cannot keep playing the part of the all-powerful-witch for very long, that her magic is dwindling, that Jon Snow being dead contradicts her visions (so she doubts all of her visions), and that basically her mission for Rhllor has totally failed.

I am so looking forward to see how the show will develop the Rhllor business from that point.

3 minutes ago, Western Danie said:

As for the "smoke and salt" prophecy, I think it was already fulfilled once when Dany was magically not BBQed and her dragons hatched. In the funeral pyre where both her Khal and the red witch were cremated.

i seem to remember GRRM likes to talk about the tale of the guy who  had a prophecy that he would die underneath some castle. He tried to avoid it all his life and he was killed in battle underneath a sign that was a picture of that same castle fulfilling the prophecy.

we don't actually know the prophecy only a few signs and etc they mention. Hearing it completely probably gives something away as to where the books are going. 

I think we will get a better idea of it on the show soon too. 

the youthful witch is a mask and she can't really mourn while wearing that form.  when the true form is shown that's when the truth of this situation is being dealt with by her--- things have gone woefully wrong and this ancient being is at a loss for how to proceed.   feeling small.  that's the main reason for the transformation, to show her stiff upper lip is faltering.

I really doubt this low point is when she bows out of the story, tho.   It's proof that her story is fascinating.  Why quit now?    That sounds more like what the writing crew of The O.C. used to do; they'd write a dippy character into a corner and then the only thing they could come up with was, "Let's have them... leave the O.C. on a bus, or die, or just get them outta here!"    I think Melisandre hasn't come all this way just to fizzle.   She's going to fry.  The Others do need that spankdown.   If after being so very wrong she's ready to go back to school with her ears open Bloodraven might start to whisper to her.  Etc.

Another thing:  maybe she hasn't been wrong about anything.  Ever.  At all.  What if all the heroes she saw doing great things are still destined to do them.... after they rise from the dead?   Resurrections may become a common enough thing south of the wall if the magic of that structure is broken by a real Others invasion.   Stannis and Jon could then go on to do great things in their second lives.

On April 26, 2016 at 8:23 AM, Free Northman Reborn said:

Mel is not nearly as powerful as the OP seems to think she is.

The last scene merely served to highlight her vulnerability, since the Show can't take us inside her POV like the books did. They had to do it visually.

This is exactly what I thought as well, when she revealed her true self. 

10 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Another thing:  maybe she hasn't been wrong about anything.  Ever.  At all.  What if all the heroes she saw doing great things are still destined to do them.... after they rise from the dead?   Resurrections may become a common enough thing south of the wall if the magic of that structure is broken by a real Others invasion.   Stannis and Jon could then go on to do great things in their second lives.

I thought it was pretty clear that her visions were true but sometimes her interpretation of them wasn't.

Yet now she could not even seem to find her king. I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai, and R’hllor shows me only Snow.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

So, how’d those two predictions pan out? Zero for two?

I got Shireen ending up on a bonfire right. Predicted that after her first book appearance.

Hard to see how they are going to deal with the Red witch. She is rather too powerful to have about.

So I guess there is more to find out about the Red god and its connection to the white walkers that is significant to the plot line.

Archived