Mirri and Marwyn

SonofMag

My current read-through alerted me to the fact that Mirri-Maz-Duur and Marwyn the Archmaester knew each other - I hadn't clocked this before. (GoT). The coincidence that Daenerys should meet her feels a little stretched. Were they 'meant' to meet? Mirri and Marwyn must have spent a good deal of time together because he taught her the common tongue - what was the nature of their relationship? Just brain-ramblings really, but I can't find anything on this above and beyond the facts.

It's possible they met in Asshai since we know both characters have been there. All we know is that there was an exchange of knowledge between Marwyn and MMD. Other than that we can only speculate.

I will be surprised if Dany remembers the name of Marwyn.

9 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

It's possible they met in Asshai since we know both characters have been there. All we know is that there was an exchange of knowledge between Marwyn and MMD. Other than that we can only speculate.

I will be surprised if Dany remembers the name of Marwyn.

I've been wondering whether she'd remember it too. MMD literally mentions the name Marwyn once. When/if Marwyn actually shows up in Mereen, I don't see how this could ring any bells. 

You have to wonder about this guy though. He has a history of teaching, and likely learning from, MMD. Plus, Qyburn respects him as very "forward thinking" for a Maester. He seems like he should definitely be included in Quaithe's "watch your back Dany" prophecy but the only part that seems to relate to him is, "the glass candles are burning." 

It's definitely curious.

She is in a shepherd village in the Dothraki sea and speaks common tongue.  She has ridiculous training from moonsingers, shadowbinders and from Marwyn.  All really odd.

Something else I consider suspect, but others don't is that the Cinnamon Wind is outside Qarth when Dany is there.  The Cinnamon Wind also brings Sam to Oldtown and then more or less immediately takes Marwyn to serve Dany in the midst of a war.

Qyburn is also very associated with Marwyn and now he is well placed in the capital.

I personally don't think she was there by happenstance.  I think Marwyn is a huge player and the tinfoil in me thinks that he is able to communicate to both MMD and Qyburn through his glass candle.

1 hour ago, The Snark of Winterfell said:

It's definitely curious.

She is in a shepherd village in the Dothraki sea and speaks common tongue.  She has ridiculous training from moonsingers, shadowbinders and from Marwyn.  All really odd.

Something else I consider suspect, but others don't is that the Cinnamon Wind is outside Qarth when Dany is there.  The Cinnamon Wind also brings Sam to Oldtown and then more or less immediately takes Marwyn to serve Dany in the midst of a war.

Qyburn is also very associated with Marwyn and now he is well placed in the capital.

I personally don't think she was there by happenstance.  I think Marwyn is a huge player and the tinfoil in me thinks that he is able to communicate to both MMD and Qyburn through his glass candle.

He can definitely communicate with Qyburn via glass candle as we saw Quaite do it to Dany, but MMD is dead so he won't be talking to her any time soon.  Since the candles didn't light until the dragons hatched, he couldn't have been communicating with them prior to that.

Curiouser and curiouser. I'm also rapidly concluding that Mirri did nothing wrong. This might be common knowledge on here (can't search atm), but she isn't responsible for either Drogo's decline or the death of Dani's child as far as I can tell. Her fate on the pyre seems monstrously unjust. I read a long essay on what happens when she burns and I am inclined to think there's more to it than just her death. I can't remember much of the theory but it put forward the idea that Mirri's magic allowed the eggs to hatch and protected Dani. 

marwyn is a genius maester in a society who is  extremely afraid of new things...

just like qyburn, he is one of those people who are very open minded and understand how things truly are in asoiaf world...

he tought mirri not just common tongue but alot more then that and btw KHAL DROGO died of his own fault not because or mirri

DANNY killed her for no good reason, danny is not a hero she is a crazy like her father and a total villian..

2 hours ago, zalim said:

marwyn is a genius maester in a society who is  extremely afraid of new things...

just like qyburn, he is one of those people who are very open minded and understand how things truly are in asoiaf world...

he tought mirri not just common tongue but alot more then that and btw KHAL DROGO died of his own fault not because or mirri

DANNY killed her for no good reason, danny is not a hero she is a crazy like her father and a total villian..

Dany sacrificed her for a very good reason. She gave Dany false hope. Mirri wanted to make Drogo suffer, and rendering him unable to ride or fight was the best revenge she could have had. When Drogo was at death's door, Dany put her (false) hope  in the restorative powers of MMD. The magic worked, and kept him alive, but left him as a vegetable. When confronted, Mirri told Dany about how she was raped, how her fellows were slaughtered and her temple was destroyed. MMD got her revenge, and Dany used her own teachings to hatch the dragon eggs. 
Knowing George, Marwyn will make it to Dany, offer his service, be accepted and at some point mention his travels, his studies of magic and how he learned from a Maegi named Mirri Maz Durr. I think Dany will kill him, but you never know  

my friend read the chapter again

she told khal drogo everything he isnt suppose to do when there is a danger of infection yet he did exactly what she said NOT to do....

the eggs were hatching before it all happend they were hatching as soon as danny got them... its in her dna to hatch dragon eggs..

there was no magic just ability to manipulate fire like teleknisis and telephaty..

mirri wasnt a witch she had no magic.... khal drogo died because he was an idiot and danny is just a child with massive ability in her DNA...

4 hours ago, SonofMag said:

Curiouser and curiouser. I'm also rapidly concluding that Mirri did nothing wrong. This might be common knowledge on here (can't search atm), but she isn't responsible for either Drogo's decline or the death of Dani's child as far as I can tell. Her fate on the pyre seems monstrously unjust. I read a long essay on what happens when she burns and I am inclined to think there's more to it than just her death. I can't remember much of the theory but it put forward the idea that Mirri's magic allowed the eggs to hatch and protected Dani. 

The theory you are referring to was written by a poster who hates Dany and was trying to rationalize things in a way that gave her no credit.  I disproved part of the theory myself, and GRRM did the rest.  GRRM has said that the magic that hatched the dragons was all Dany, and I showed that the dragon eggs were not in the tent when MMD performs her magic on Drago.

Archived