Dosh Khaleen and Vaes Dothrak

Dizzy Walker

On 4/27/2016 at 10:12 PM, RadSam said:

I've never thought about this before. How interesting! I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Rhaego is dead. There is absolutely no purpose of him being alive now. He's little more than an infant, and that's all he will be by series end. He will have no impact, other than Dany being happy that her son is alive.

I'm not sure what you're expecting in the ending. Will he not be relevant because you think the last novel will neatly wrap up the White Walker apocalypse with a big battle then all our heroes get medals and throw a parade? If so, you're absolutely right, Rhaego being alive would add nothing. However, I expect the last novel will leave the central problem of the Uberwinter totally unaddressed; most of our characters will be dead, and the sun has stopped coming up over the horizon entirely. We're left only with a Dream of Spring, not spring itself: we're left with an understanding that Dany's children may oneday rise against Winter and drive it back. Hence their relevance: they are not characters in the story, they ARE the story, it is a story about when they were born. As such they are the story's CONCLUSION, and so, yes, they will be children with little agency as it ends.

3 hours ago, Damon_Tor said:

I'm not sure what you're expecting in the ending. Will he not be relevant because you think the last novel will neatly wrap up the White Walker apocalypse with a big battle then all our heroes get medals and throw a parade? If so, you're absolutely right, Rhaego being alive would add nothing. However, I expect the last novel will leave the central problem of the Uberwinter totally unaddressed; most of our characters will be dead, and the sun has stopped coming up over the horizon entirely. We're left only with a Dream of Spring, not spring itself: we're left with an understanding that Dany's children may oneday rise against Winter and drive it back. Hence their relevance: they are not characters in the story, they ARE the story, it is a story about when they were born. As such they are the story's CONCLUSION, and so, yes, they will be children with little agency as it ends.

I'm not expecting everything to end all nice and happy and perfect, but a series ending without the main problem addressed or solved? That's ridiculous. I would actually be offended if the series ended like that. Fans and GRRM aren't investing this much time into a series for it to just end with the problem still looming. 

Archived