JON SNOW GUARDS (spoilers)

Heineken1234

Nah... they never cast anyone until there is casting for "Kings Guard".   The whole thing with money and how they would otherwise need to keep the character engaged.   We are thankful they kept Alfie and did not make him disappear for a season.   This was also the reasoning to drop Lady Stoneheart.

They could have kept Pyp, Grenn or both if they wanted to do something like this since they did not necessarily need to die on the show except for D&D bloodlust

On 4/26/2016 at 10:36 PM, Heineken1234 said:

In the castle black scenes if you count Ghost and Edd you have seven guards protecting Jons body. Could this be hinting at JONS  kingsguard ?

I did actually think of this also. I don't think they are necessarily Jon's King's Guard, but it will be a good parallel to the KG at the ToJ. Unknowingly, the men in the room are stepping into the same shoes as Arthur Dayne. Coped up in a corner, outnumbered but still loyal to their dead commander/prince, despite the usurpation of power. They are also conveniently protecting Jon.  

17 hours ago, jugdesh258 said:

Nah... they never cast anyone until there is casting for "Kings Guard".   The whole thing with money and how they would otherwise need to keep the character engaged.   We are thankful they kept Alfie and did not make him disappear for a season.   This was also the reasoning to drop Lady Stoneheart.

They could have kept Pyp, Grenn or both if they wanted to do something like this since they did not necessarily need to die on the show except for D&D bloodlust

Pyp and Grenn would have made the scene 10 x better, given that they were part of the 'crow bros of the wall' (Edd, Sam, Jon, Pyp, Grenn). I really wish they had kept at least one of them alive for this. 

2 hours ago, ~DarkHorse~ said:

I did actually think of this also. I don't think they are necessarily Jon's King's Guard, but it will be a good parallel to the KG at the ToJ. Unknowingly, the men in the room are stepping into the same shoes as Arthur Dayne. Coped up in a corner, outnumbered but still loyal to their dead commander/prince, despite the usurpation of power. They are also conveniently protecting Jon.  

I agree with this. I don't think that they are representing who will be Jon's King's Guard. But that they are using them as a parallel for the ToJ.

21 hours ago, Philpenn said:

I wouldn't count on surviving very long if you're in that room and your name's not Edd, Davos, or Ghost.

Yeah, Edd and Ghost make nearly half of named NW characters as for now.

Also, the Kingsguard should be selected. This guys... actually, why the sole group of Jon's loyalists happened to be near when he died? Did they have a fanclub meeting?

42 minutes ago, Tianzi said:

Yeah, Edd and Ghost make nearly half of named NW characters as for now.

Also, the Kingsguard should be selected. This guys... actually, why the sole group of Jon's loyalists happened to be near when he died? Did they have a fanclub meeting?

Being in his fan club would mean that they were excluded from the murder. That would most likely put them together somewhere where they would have heard Ghost howling and come to investigate. The murderers wouldn't need to investigate, so only those in earshot and out of the loop would be there.There are likely more Jon supporters in the dining hall as evidenced by the shouts of outrage at his killing and the need for Thorne to explain their actions.

Edd is gone to fetch the wildlings btw.

4 hours ago, ~DarkHorse~ said:

I'm really liking this! That's GRRM type subtlety, that is.  Just trying, and failing, to wrap my head around the idea that the show writers could possibly be that good given their history.

While the numbers match up I don't think you have many other factors that support this idea.  The Kingsgaurd tends to be made up of the finest knights in the land.  And while Edd certainly is a decent loyal fighter, he wouldn't meet that criteria.  That being said I could see him making into Jon's gaurd, and I believe Davos would make an excellent hand as he did Stannis.

14 hours ago, ~DarkHorse~ said:

Pyp and Grenn would have made the scene 10 x better, given that they were part of the 'crow bros of the wall' (Edd, Sam, Jon, Pyp, Grenn). I really wish they had kept at least one of them alive for this. 

Nice theory but I wouldn't put my money on it and especially since D&D are writting it. Davos certainly is just trying to stay alive, Ghost is willing, Edd too. Others well maybe yes or no. Doesn't seem to me they want to die.

Archived